4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 8:12 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Acrobat opens a blank (black) Java popup window Reader works OK

henryseiden Level 1

Hi All,

I just re-installed Acrobat Pro X in El Capitan. It works OK except a form I use opens with a strange pop-up window that Reader seems to have no trouble with. I'm thinking something in the form related to the Javascript popup is triggering this behavior. The same form works fine in Reader of the same version (10.1.6). Any idea how I can fix this? Already checked that Javascript is enabled in each app and that the Preferences settings there are the same (default). Below is what the screen shot looks like in Reader vs. in Acrobat (the black screen). As you can see, the form pop up was designed for this version of product since it works in Reader, just not in Acrobat. Otherwise Acrobat seems to load and run OK. Even on this form if I click the black popup screen in just the right place.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Henry

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 07.31.50.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-03 at 07.33.03.png

• 1. Re: Acrobat opens a blank (black) Java popup window Reader works OK
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Ah, not Java but JavaScript (very different, very important not to mix them up, but easily done).

My understanding, which may be limited, is that "Warning: JavaScript Window" is to tell you that this message is coming from JavaScript, probably embedded in the PDF. This is important, and important to notice, because it is what stops JavaScript from faking a system message.

So this is specific to the PDF, and should be referred to the form's author.

• 2. Re: Acrobat opens a blank (black) Java popup window Reader works OK
            henryseiden Level 1

Test Screen Name wrote:

Ah, not Java but JavaScript (very different, very important not to mix them up, but easily done).

My understanding, which may be limited, is that "Warning: JavaScript Window" is to tell you that this message is coming from JavaScript, probably embedded in the PDF. This is important, and important to notice, because it is what stops JavaScript from faking a system message.

So this is specific to the PDF, and should be referred to the form's author.

Hi Test,

What you said is correct (apologies for confusing Java and Javascript) and makes total sense. I pointed out the variations between the performance in Reader and Acrobat and was asking why the differ as to the blanked out screen. Guess I didn't phrase it well enough as a question.

Do you have an idea why the same doc, in Reader, would properly display the splash screen whereas in Acrobat of the same version (10.1.6) it would not? Of note, the screen can be made to go away in Acrobat by clicking the hidden OK box by guessing. It seems that this screen is being hidden in Acrobat by some code it doesn't like, but a fresh install of Reader is able to deal with it. I have re-installed Acrobat to no avail. Others using Acrobat have no issue with this form.

• 3. Re: Acrobat opens a blank (black) Java popup window Reader works OK
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Not clear whether you get no box at all, or a black box?

If no box, take a look at the code. We can't guess what it does.

If black box, could be a bug. 10.0 is now very old and past end of support.

• 4. Re: Acrobat opens a blank (black) Java popup window Reader works OK
                Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

Support for Acrobat X just ended with the last release (v10.1.16) posted a few weeks ago. However, what's more important is that El Capitan was never supported, not even Yosemite is supported. The latest OS X version that was supported is 10.9. You can find all the details of the release notes here: Overview — Acrobat and Adobe Reader Release Notes

This means  that it's not surprising that you end up with things that don't work right when you try to run it on Max OS X 10.11.

As to why the free Reader with the same version number works better, all bets are off: We don't know what exactly the differences are between these two products.