3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2007 5:01 PM by jfujita

Pushing changes to clients from Java

David_S_deB
      Hi,

I have created a Flex 2 client that polls a webservice every minute or so which inturn returns data from a DB table (The table contains data that changes every couple of minutes). This is of course very DB intensive once you start having multiple clients all polling at the same time.

I am now looking at doing it in FDS but my problem is how do I get FDS to update the interal java objects with new data from the DB (which is updated from an external source)? I read here :

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=L iveDocs_Parts&file=00001210.html

that using the DataServiceTransaction might be an option. Perhaps from a seperate java client that some how uses the DataServiceTransaction class to update the data every 2 minutes of so? That way pushing any changes that have occured to all the currently connected Flex clients.

Or am I missing a setting in the FDS that you can set to refresh the current java objects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Pushing changes to clients from Java
          Peter Farland Level 3
          The DataServiceTransaction API is the way to go. Let me ask if there is a sample of this API handy and I'll get back to you.
          • 2. Re: Pushing changes to clients from Java
            David_S_deB Level 1
            Hey Pete.

Any luck finding some example code for this?
            • 3. Re: Pushing changes to clients from Java
              jfujita
              Hi, I also have a similar problem with using the DataServiceTransaction object from an external java program.

I'm using flex and FDS to RTMP push data from a DB server to clients and I want to trigger data pushing whenever the DB gets updated by an external java/jdbc program.

The problem is, I can update the DB and call the commit() function of the DataServiceTransaction object from a RemoteObject/rpc called by the flex client very much like the ContactVO.java object on THIS page. But I want to develop an external java program that gets executed separately (Not via RPC) and it will be able to update the DB and call the DataServiceTransaction.commit() method to push the updates to the flex clients.

I built a java class to do just that as you can see below:

/**
              * ChangeBackEnd.java
              */

package tony.contact;

import flex.data.DataServiceTransaction;

public class ChangeBackEnd
              {

public static void main(String[] args)
              {

DataServiceTransaction dtx = DataServiceTransaction.begin(false);

try
              {
              ContactVO ct = new ContactVO(1, "test", "serverAPI");
              dtx.updateItem("tony.dms.contact", ct, null, null);
              new ContactDAO().update(ct, ct);
              }
              finally
              {
              dtx.commit();
              }

}

}

And when I try to run it I get this error.

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ChangeBackEnd (wrong
              name: tony/contact/ChangeBackEnd)"

Is there any way around this?