38 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 3:23 PM by David__B

adobe_licutil process not responding

PhotoJoseph Level 1

I have noticed a stack of adobe_licutil processes in the Activity Monitor listed as "not responding". I've force quit them but they just come back and eventually hang. I am about to restart and maybe that's all it'll take, but given the state of upgrades lately I thought it worth sharing to see if anyone had anything to add to it.

2015-11-03_09-38-38.jpeg

cheers

-Joseph

• 1. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
          thatswhatimtalkingabout

I am seeing the same thing.  When I try to start Lightroom 6, it briefly works, then hangs with a spinning beachball.  Looking at the process list, I see:

Screenshot 2015-11-16 10.48.32.png

Trying to call technical support yields nothing, as they don't recognize me because I've only purchased software.  Please Adobe...help.  Please...

-Marc

• 2. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
            sergioc6

I also have the same problem, I have the OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.1 (15B42).

When system start for the first time, all is good, but, after sleep it hangs.

Work around is to restart system every time I use Lightroom.

But this is very annoying.

!

• 3. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
              Brucgovn Adobe Community Professional

Are the other Application working fine like Photoshop ?? or the Mac hangs after going to sleep?

Are you getting any other specific error message ?

• 4. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                thatswhatimtalkingabout Level 1

"...Work around is to restart system every time I use Lightroom."

I've discovered this too.  BTW, even though Lightroom hangs, Acrobat Pro DC keeps working fine (OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.1).

• 5. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                  PhotoJoseph Level 1

FYI, this is still happening. Or happening again. I just noticed all these hanging processes and searched google to find an answer… and landed on my own post from a few months ago. *sigh*

• 6. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                    Pat481 Level 1

Happening to me too.

• 7. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                      therealsirshannon

Happening to me, too.

• 8. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                        David__B Adobe Employee

For any of you who posted on this thread, would you able to collect log files related to the issue which we could then pass on to our engineering department to better understand the cause? If so, could you download and run the log collection tool from here it will create a zip file of the logs from your system on your desktop. From there, if you could upload the created zip file to your Creative Cloud file storage and enable it for public download and finally post a link to it here I'll pass it on to our engineering group for review.

Thanks,

- Dave

• 9. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                          therealsirshannon Level 1

Is there a way to share these logs with Adobe without posting a public link in a public forum like this? I don't understand why anyone would do that nor why you would suggest it.

• 10. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 10.26.28 AM.png

I'll just post this in the meantime... I wish I had sorted processes by name so I could have taken a screenshot of all 3 adobe_licutil that were not responding instead of just these two.

Without having any Adobe software open, with auto updates turned off, and with the hung adobe_licutil processed killed, I still have at least 10 (TEN) Adobe processes running on my machine right now. There are probably more, I'm only counting processes with "Adobe" as the beginning of the name or with Adobe/Creative Cloud icons.

Ten processes running at all times for 2 apps that aren't even open. This is ridiculous.

• 11. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                              David__B Adobe Employee

If you didn't want to post a public link to the logs feel free to send me a private message with the link, that would work too.

• 12. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding

David__B : on the log collector page you link to above, it says

"Adobe has developed the Log Collector Tool to collect log debug information related to your installed Adobe Creative Cloud desktop software products."

but when looking at the files, it looks to me like there is a lot more than just adobe log information in there.  I see crash logs from unrelated software, etc.  Am I missing something here?

• 13. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                  David__B Adobe Employee

Well there definitely are a large number of log files related to Creative Cloud that get included but I haven't seen any unrelated crash logs being included myself. I think OS related crash logs are included. What unrelated software crash logs are you seeing included that make you concerned? I suspect they may be potentially relevant or wouldn't be included.

• 14. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding

To be blunt, that is none of your business or I wouldn't have a problem sending the information, right?

How about you tell me the method I would use to verify that a crash log is related to one of the dozen unwanted processes you have running on my machine at all times.

• 15. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                      David__B Adobe Employee

Sorry, I don't know of a way of telling whether the crash logs are related or not. Others on the thread have provided some example logs and I have passed them on. I'll share whatever info I learn that could help.

• 16. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                        needcaffeine

It grabs all the diagnostic crash files logs regardless of app. It would be better if it grabbed only Adobe related logs.

Thankfully it shows what it's grabbing, I opted to the majority of non-adobe apps from my logs & then re-ran the collector

• 17. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                          pault98224014

I am curious if a solution was found for this.

I am experiencing similar actions.

Thanks.

• 18. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                            Angieaaa Level 1

Just started happening for me now and Creative cloud app desktop service not opening now either!?

Get really fed up with the Apps not working constantly! Ive downloaded new creative cloud app so many times to rectify problems with it!

• 19. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                              dougk39713376

I see this as well. I find that startup of Lightroom is *painfully* slow. I don't know if it is related but if I watch the processes I see an amazing amount of Adobe stuff running all the time. If I just buy the stand alone version will this stuff go away?

• 20. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                Bedriche

I too have the Adobe_licutil constantly hanging. InDesign takes forever to load and I have updated all my programs. Are Adobe addressing any of this at all? Small updates would be appreciated.

• 21. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                  aottke

Did this ever get resolved? I just spent an hour waiting for my computer to respond while switching catalogs in Lightroom. The whole computer choked, responding to clicks and everything only every 30-300 seconds or so. Tried to keep the clicks down just enough to Command+Option+Esc to eventually Force Quit Lightroom. Once that went through, it FINALLY gave me my computer back. All good. But I now have a ton of those utilities running at once and not responding....

I would share my logs, but it's been a while since there's been a response in here, and supposedly others already have...

• 22. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                    MKSA Level 1

It's lovely that Adobe relies on "volunteers' (probably unpaid) to manage these forums. I got sent here by one their geniuses with an ACP badge (should have been a Noddy Badge) to this post which solves nothing. Adobe is utterly useless and cannot fix their own bloody software. Look at this Nonsense after one day of editing images. (and I included that Noddy badge for the genius who directed me to this post)

adobe-shit.jpg

• 23. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                      David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Aottke,

Sorry for your difficulties. The issue appears to have been resolved for the individuals who reported the issue originally. I would want to ensure you have the latest version of the Creative Cloud app and Lightroom installed and have restarted the computer.

Which version of both of these do you have?

If you've done these and are still having problems if you could collect logs for review that would be a good next step.

Thanks,

- Dave

• 24. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                        David__B Adobe Employee

Hi MSKA,

Wow, I don't think I've seen a list that long. Similar to what I asked of Aottke, do you have all of the updates installed and have you restarted the computer? What version of the Creative Cloud app are you running?

Thanks,

- Dave

• 25. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                          aottke Level 1

Thanks, Dave. I have the latest version of both the Creative Cloud desktop app and all of my Adobe products (Photoshop, LR, Bridge). I had about twenty of those instances that MKSA had, at which point my computer completely froze up. It took nearly an hour to come back and be of any use, during which time Lightroom was SLOWLY opening a different catalog and quitting based on a Force Quit I asked the system to do at the first sign of slow behavior. Once Lightroom finally quit, it seemingly gave me back my computer, at which point I noticed all of these instances.

It's been a bit of time now since the last issue, but I'll collect logs the next time I have it. I have noticed that 90% of the time that I open and/or close Lightroom OR Photoshop, a new instance of that process begins and promptly stops responding. Only force quitting from Activity Monitor seems to get rid of these.

You mentioned that the issue was resolved for the other people that commented, yet I didn't see a response or any indication of a solution. Can you give some advice for what to do? I have a funny feeling these people just dealt with the issue and kept force quitting that process upon every opening and quitting of their Adobe apps, as I have been doing for weeks, now....

I'm hoping for the best, but forgive me for not being too hopeful... My experience with Adobe troubleshooting has been far from great and often just results in hours of wasted time with people that don't understand what I'm saying and with no end solution :-(

• 26. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                            David__B Adobe Employee

Thanks for following up Aottke,

A few other questions that came to mind, especially since what you experienced was similar to MKSA
                                                            - Are you using LR CC or LR6?
                                                            - What version version of the Mac OS?

- Did it seem to occur right after installing a particular upgrade or update?

- Do you use anti-virus software? if so, which one?

- I got the impression the issue can be intermittent. How many times has it happened and how frequently does it occur?

- When was the last time it happened?

If you don't mind collecting logs next time it happens we can investigate further. The tool here will create a zip file of all the logs on the desktop. Once complete just upload and share a link.

Thanks and sorry for your troubles

- Dave

• 27. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                              MKSA Level 1

Hi Dave, all my apps including CC desktop are all up to date. I did a complete wipe of my Macbook 3 weks ago and fresh install of CC Desktop, Photoshop and Lightroom. Photoshop 2015.5.1 performs so terribly I installed the previous version to try at least get some work done. So I have both 2015.5.1 and 2015.1.2 ... no matter which version I use these adobe_licutil fill up throughout the day until last night I looked in Activity monitor and saw the above and just about blew a gasket which explains my outburst here last night. After being at the PC processing images since 5:00am and then finding what was slowing everything down throughout the day was just enough for me.

I have restarted after every app update from Adobe, although that should not be necessary and if so, Adobe should pop up a message after their app updates to say so which they do not.

I spend my entire day working on Raw images, I have to work on just one at a time and when I am done, I have to save my file, close photoshop and then start my second image. Imaging doing this all day long, opening and closing Photoshop 150-200 times day, very productive. It also does not matter if I use Photoshop 2015.5.1 or 2015.1.2 they both start rendering big whit blocks when I open images so the problem I believe is creative cloud being a little piggy in the background.

To answer some of your questions posed to Aotkke

- Are you using LR CC or LR6?

LR CC

- What version version of the Mac OS?

El Capitan 10.11.6

- Did it seem to occur right after installing a particular upgrade or update?

Ever since Photoshop 2015.5 and Lightroom CC (released about 4 weeks ago)

- Do you use anti-virus software? if so, which one?

No

- I got the impression the issue can be intermittent. How many times has it happened and how frequently does it occur?

Not intermittent ... every day occurence and all day

- When was the last time it happened?

every day

The problem is that I am quite sure now that 99% of the problems with Photoshop and Lightroom are nothing to with the apps themselves but rather the incredibly invasive CC Desktop software and it's plethora of services hogging resources and hanging all the time. It seems Piracy of Adobe products has become such a problem that paying users have to suffer for it because without a doubt adobe_licutil is the very thing sitting there trying to make sure I am running a legit product.

Why must creative cloud have all this stuff running all the time? See list below. Any software developer can bundle all their little background services into one helper but this is beyond words.

• Adobe CEF Helper (34.1 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • Adobe CEF Helper (72.5 Mb Memory Footprint) (a helper for the helper we assume)
                                                              • Adobe Desktop Service (43.8 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • AdobeCRDaemon (1.6 Mb  Memory Footprint)
                                                              • AdobeCRDaemon (1.5 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • AdobeCRDaemon (1.5 Mb Memory Footprint) — yes 3 daemon’s … for what ???
                                                              • AdobeIPCBroker (8 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • CCLibrary (41.2 Mb Memory Footprint))
                                                              • CCXProcess (47.1 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • Core Sync (17 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • Core Sync Helper (10.5 Mb Memory Footprint)
                                                              • Creative Cloud (27.6 Mb Memory Footprint)

and then the plethora of outgoing connections from all the apps

AAM Updates Notifier > (https) swupmf.adobe.com

AAM Updates Notifier > (https) www.adobe.com

Adobe Bridge CC 2015 > (https) hbrt.adobe.com

Adobe Bridge CC 2015 > (https) d3d51sjda1sdc4.cloudfront.net

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ars.adobe.io

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) swupmf.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) swupdl.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ccmdl.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) lm.licenses.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) www.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ans.oobesaas.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ars.adobeoobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ims-na1.adobelogin.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) na1e-acc.services.adobe.com

Adobe Desktop Service > (https) ffc.adobe.io

Adobe Lightroom > (https) translate.googleapis.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) api.adbecrsl.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) www.adobe.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) www.photoshop.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) ims-na1.adobelogin.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) api-lr.adbecrsl.com

Adobe Lightroom > (https) hbrt.adobe.com

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 > (https) ims-na1.adobelogin.com

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 > (https) api.typekit.com (not even using typekit)

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 > (https) hbrt.adobe.com

adobe_licutil > (https) uds.licenses.adobe.com

adobe_licutil > (https) lm.licenses.adobe.com

AdobeGCClient > (https) genuine.adobe.com

agshelper > (https) genuine.adobe.com

AGSService > (http) agsupdate.adobe.com

AGSService > (https) genuine.adobe.com

CEPHtmlEngine > (https) accounts.adobe.com

CEPHtmlEngine > (https) cc-api-data.adobe.io

CEPHtmlEngine > (https) adbemdigitalmediarebootprod2.112.2o7.net

CEPHtmlEngine > (https) a3.behance.net

Core Sync > (https) www.adobe.com

Core Sync > (https) s3-1.amazonaws.com

Core Sync > (https) scss-prod-ew1-notif-23.adobesc.com

Core Sync > (https) www.adobeexchange.com

Core Sync > (https) scss-prod-ew1.adobesc.com

Core Sync > (https) polka.typekit.com

Core Sync > (https) scss.adobesc.com

Core Sync > (https) download.macromedia.com

Core Sync > (http) www.adobe.com

Creative Cloud > (https) use.typekit.net

Creative Cloud > (https) bam.nr-data.net

Creative Cloud > (https)  js-agent.newrelic.com

Creative Cloud > (https) mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net

Creative Cloud > (https) hammer-cdn.behance.net

Creative Cloud > (https) hammer.behance.net

Creative Cloud > (https) www.adobe.com

Creative Cloud > (https) fonts.typekit.net

Creative Cloud > (https) static.adobelogin.com

Creative Cloud > (https) adobeid-na1.services.adobe.com

Creative Cloud > (https) ims-na1.adobelogin.com

Creative Cloud > (https) na1e-acc.services.adobe.com

Creative Cloud Installer > (https) genuine.adobe.com

Creative Cloud Installer > (http) ccmdl.adobe.com

Creative Cloud Installer > (https) www.adobe.com

Creative Cloud Installer > (https) ffc.adobe.io

Creative Cloud Installer > (https) na1e.services.adobe.com

LogTransport2 > (https) hbrt.adobe.com

LogTransport2 > (https) hbrcv.adobe.com

node > (https) cc-collab.adobe.io

node > (https) cc-api-data.adobe.io

node > (https) cc-api-storage.adobe.io

node > (https) ims-na1.adobelogin.com

node > (https) psdk.adobe.io

node > (https) www.adobe.com

node > (https) ffc.adobe.io

Setup > (http) ccmdl.adobe.com

Setup > (http) a5.mzstatic.com

Setup > (https) a5.mzstatic.com

• 28. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                David__B Adobe Employee

Hi MSKA,

Thanks for all the details. That is definitely interesting that you continued to face difficulties after doing a complete wipe of your Mac. I had a few more questions for you when you have time.

- When you wiped your Mac how did you reinstall the OS? Did you do an archive and install of the OS, use Time Machine, or did you do a clean install on a blank freshly formatted partition?

- Does Photoshop behave normally if you quit the Creative Cloud desktop app while working?

- Have you contacted and worked with our support at all regarding this issue? Do you have a case number I can reference?

Sorry you're facing these difficulties. It sounds really frustrating

• 29. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                  MKSA Level 1

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. When I wiped my Mac I started up recovery, opened disk util, completely wiped the disc and then reinstalled the OS fresh over the internet from Apple.

No time machine backups were used, all apps were reinstalled fresh and all my data brought back manually as I always do. I simply do not trust Time Machine and merely use it to have backups I can manually pull the data I need from it.

I have not unfortunately had the time nor energy to deal with Adobe Support on this and hence do not have a reference number. I am under such pressure processing anywhere up to 100-200 images a day for stock and spending an hour or two on the phone I just really do not have the time.

I have not tried running Photoshop or Lightroom with the Creative Cloud desktop app killed, I will try today and see. I did not know that was possible seeing that is sits there all the time handling all the licensing issues to prevent piracy. I still believe all the problems relate to the CC desktop app itself and not so much the actual applications one needs to use on a daily basis.

I will however try today as I am once again processing images like a tyrant and will report back later to see if anything changed or improved.

Thanks for your help and interest thus far.

Kind Regards

Mitchell

• 30. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                    David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Mitchell,

That is really surprising you are facing this with install of the OS on a freshly formatted partition. If you have time to collect the logs from your machine I can get them reviewed and see if we might better understand the cause. It'll probably take a few days to review them. The tool here will create a zip file of all the logs on the desktop. Once complete just upload and share a link with me.

Kind regards,

- Dave

• 31. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                      MKSA Level 1

Hi Dave

Thanks, I have just downloaded the log collecting tool which I will start running now as of this morning and see what it collects over the day. Have a lot of images to process today so I am sure it will generate a big log log file today.

I tried yesterday by quitting Creative Cloud Desktop and then running Photoshop and Lightroom throughout the day but it made no difference so I am hoping the Log collector will find something.

Will get back to you by the end of the day.

Kind Regards

Mitchell

• 32. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                        MKSA Level 1

Hi Dave

I ran the log collector tool this morning and once again this evening. I went the whole day without 50+ adobe_licutil's filling up in Task Manager but this evening it started again so that's when I created the second set of logs. I have PM'd you the link to the files.

Kind Regards

Mitchell

• 33. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                          David__B Adobe Employee

Thanks for collecting the logs Mitchell. I'll see what I can find out and let you know when I do.

Kind regards,

- Dave

• 34. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                            OwlBoy Level 1

Hello Dave,

I sent in some logs myself back in May, I never got a response letting me know they were received.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 2.50.45 PM.png

There have been multiple updates to the Mac OS X, the Creative Cloud app and the individual Applications in CC since May. Still no progress. Do you want more logs? It's seeming like those are not helping. What else can be done? Why is it I am asking questions that seem unreasonable to answer?

I don't think this is a Lightroom specific issue as I have never once launched it on my machine.

• 35. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                              PhotoJoseph Level 1

Well here we are again… I've noticed the hangs, googled it, found my own post from November of last year. I've even shared logs as requested. Any update, Adobe? Tell us you can't figure it out… you have figured it out but can't figure out how to fix it… whatever… anything… SOMETHING?

• 36. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                                MKSA Level 1

Hi David__B PhotoJoseph and OwlBoy

On Monday morning I did an Adobe Connect session with the engineering guys. We spent well over an hour trying to diagnose the problem and after running numerous tests and special bits of code that they sent me during the session we proved that Apple's code signing module is crashing and not Adobe's itself.

Every piece of code I was asked to run did very specific queries into Adobe's core modules to reveal if their code signing was crashing but all results returned null, meaning that the already known bug in Apple's own code signing module still remains and of course plagues Adobe products.

Whilst together we did confirm I was not entirely mad (disputable) and that there was indeed a problem as the adobe_licutil "thankfully" happened during our session, we did find a temporary workaround until Apple and Adobe can address this together.

First reboot your Mac, straight after rebooting (don't open anything), navigate to this folder "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient" and simple delete the AdobeGCClient.app file.

Then open Photoshop or Lightroom and see if the problem remains for you. It seems to have helped me thus far with no more of the dreaded adobe_licutil's filling up activity monitor. I hope it helps you too until Adobe and Apple can work this out.

I truly hope a fix is pushed out for El Capitan as I personally refuse to move to Sierra.

Hope this helps some of you.

Kind Regards

Mitchell

PS - I think Apple's code signing issues go back quite a while as even Microsoft gave up developing their Intellipoint software for OSX some 3 years ago as the last official OSX they support for their mice is OSX 10.7.x and trying to even get Intellipoint to run on El Capitan is impossible, even with turning of the CSRutil to try and load the Microsoft driver.

2 people found this helpful
                                                                                • 37. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                                  OwlBoy Level 1

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I hope Radars can be filed with Apple. And maybe Adobe can harass their Apple Engineering contacts to let them know this is a major issue.

• 38. Re: adobe_licutil process not responding
                                                                                    David__B Adobe Employee

Thanks for sharing the outcome Mitchell. Hopefully its something which will get addressed soon.