7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 9:46 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects

BriRonS

Hi,

I have installed Premiere Elements 14 onto a new computer running windows 8.1

I have several existing projects created in Elements 11 or 9 on a separate hard drive in my old PC and this has been installed in my new PC

The problem is that when I try to open an existing project I get a message saying: "This type of file is not supported or the original codec is not installed". When I click "ok" the timeline opens but all the clips are blank. The clips are all AVI files. The system is also not recognising WMA audio files.

I hope someone can help me with this perplexing problem

Brian Saberton

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian Saberton

Can you open a Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 8.1 64 bit new project, import media into it, edit, save the project file, and then reopen the Premiere Elements 14 project file to one of its workspaces?

It sounds to me like you have more complicated matters than just trying to open a saved closed project in the version in which it was created.

1. You are doing a hard drive replacement, old to new, from old hard drive to another computer. What is the drive letter of the drive on the old and the drive letter on the new?

2. You are trying to open existing projects from an earlier version in the latest version....never any guarantee with that....are the project's media getting disconnect in the process.

When you go to open the project from earlier version, are you right clicking it at its hard drive location, selecting Open With/Adobe Premiere Elements 14? You are not trying to open a project file (.prel) in another project file (prel)?

Because of the lack of backward compatibility, it is good to use the saving net of working from a copy of the project from the earlier version.

Please consider and supply more details. Any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
            BriRonS Level 1

Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply. I've successfully created a new project, downloaded a bundle of HD clips in the .mov format and loaded them onto the time line, then closed and reopened the project without any problem - in fact the process was incredibly fast so new projects are working just fine.

I tried opening the existing projects both from Premiere and from the project folder without success. Your point about the drive letter on the hard drive is interesting because it is labelled VIDEO DRIVE (D:) whereas it was VIDEO DRIVE (V:) in the old computer.

My pal who built the computer for me also thinks that this may be the cause of the problem and is going to have a look at it tomorrow night. Fortunately I have a full back up of everything on an external hard drive in case anything goes wrong!

Many thanks once again and I'll let you know how I get on

Brian

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BriRonS

The news was good even though the problem is not officially resolved yet. Looking forward to learning of the results as your schedule permits.

Just in case mention...when you import source media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals that still exist on your computer hard drive. But, those project copies need to trace back to the originals where they were when they were first imported into the project. If you move, delete, rename files and folders (drive letters change) after the project save close, you get into serious media project reconnect issues when you go to open the project.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
                baxterwalker

I had a similar problem.  I had renamed the Folder where project files were stored.  Changed the name back and everything back to normal.

Hope this might help.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

baxterwalker

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and what computer operating system is involved?

Thanks for sharing your results with the source media- protect disconnects that you ran into.

These media-project disconnects occur when actions are taken that prevent the project media copies from tracing back to their originals where they were when they were first imported into the project. Some get into problems when the source originals are stored on an external hard drive and that external hard drive's drive letter changes.

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
                    BriRonS Level 1

The problem is solved! As you suggested what had happened was that when we transferred the video hard drive into the new computer it had been renamed as drive "D" instead of drive "V". As soon as that was changed back to "V" I was able to open all my existing projects quite easily and Elements 14 is now working well. Many thanks for your help

Brian

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 will not open existing projects
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Great news. Great job of follow through.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects moving forward.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated so that others can benefit from your findings.

ATR