6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 8:09 AM by BobL52

Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration

BobL52

I have tried all different input and output hardware settings (from system preferences), and when I see the volume meter fluctuating (suggesting that the software is listening), the program will crash on either start recording or after stop recording. Is there a fix for this bug?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BobL52

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so. What is your Mac operating system?

What microphone are you using for the narration recording? What type of connection?

What happens if you create the narration in another program and then import the wav narration into the Premiere Elements project's Narration Track (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to Narration Track?

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
            BobL52 Level 1

Many tanks for your reply. I have version 13.1. I am using Mac OS X Yosemite. I am using the built in screen microphone. I can easily create narration in QuickTime or Audacity and import sound file and even paste it in the narration. Although a work around, I prefer to get the problem fixed. I’m with an Adobe tech guy as we speak, and have spent almost three hours with him trying to get this fixed. Still working on it,

Bob Leilich

BobLeilich@att.net

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Leilich

Thanks for the reply with update.

Just in case thoughts....probably been there and done this, but...

1. Tools Menu/Narration to get the Narration Dialog

2. Go to the upper right of the Narration dialog to the icon for Mic Source....click on that. Does it open to show selected the microphone that is named as enabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO Input?

3. Also, check the Edit Menu/Preference/Audio Hardware ASIO Input settings.

Do you have access to any other microphone except that which is built into the screen?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user and have a terrible time with the Narration Tool when I do not have the Mic Sensitivity set all the way to the left. (computer with microphone built into the monitor). No crashes, just terrible noise.

I am hoping the Adobe tech person can do remote control of computer troubleshooting to get to the core of the matter quicker.

We will be watching for your results as your time permits.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
                BobL52 Level 1

AT:

The agent spent four plus hours with me, taking control of my computer. I may have had multiple problems. Part of it involved making the proper audio input and audio output mapping as you correctly noted below. I also had installed SoundFlower for capturing sounds directly from Internet URL’s. This software may have been causing interference, but I am not sure. The bottom line is that Adobe needs to add some code to intercept a crash and politely inform the user of a problem that would otherwise cause the program to close unexpectedly (problems which led me to ditch Microsoft). They also need to add more to their help manual about device setup, as you note.

I have no problems using Audacity and QuickTime to create dictation files.

The slider next to the mute button was another major problem, causing feedback from the built in mic being too close to the built in Mac speakers, The mute button only mutes other sound channels and not the narration one. Worse, the slider always returns to the default position every time to start narration – a bit of a nuisance to remember to constantly pull it down to zero.

I learned a lot by watching the agent operate my computer, and also got Premier Elements 14 for free out of it. (I only had Pre13 for 35 days.) Anyhow, I now am a happy camper.

Thanks for your help and advice. It is people like you that are much appreciated by folks like me.

Bob Leilich

BobLeilich@att.net

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Leilich

Thanks for letting us know the great outcome - congratulations to you and Adobe for staying with the problem to resolution to help you and others who might be facing the same or similar problem. Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. But your sharing of your results gives others answers or ideas for resolving this type of issue.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 for Mac crashes when I attempt to do narration
                    BobL52 Level 1

AT:

Again, my hat is off to you for your help and ability to contribute.

Bob Leilich

BobLeilich@att.net