9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 7:38 AM by gkaiseril

Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document

Mainemoosepie

I have several hundred documents that require me to add a script of a print date and verbiage that the document will expire in 72 hours.

I know how to do this manually by going to tools --> prepare form, adding a textfield naming it goto properties choose "hidden but visible" then go back to tools --> javascript --> highlight "Document Will Print" click edit --> plugin script click ok. Voila! Proper line is added when printed. However as I mentioned there are several hundred documents I need to do this for - is there a way to create an Action in Acrobat Pro DC to make this process a little less laborious? I am fairly new to the Pro DC version but can follow instructions quite well

Any assistance would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless you have Acrobat Professional you will not have access to the Batch Processing or Actions Wizard that provides the batch processing. Since Adobe has changed the UI and some Names of features, we need to know the exact product you are using.

You might also want to provide more information about exactly where you want this information to appear in the PDFs based on page size and orientation.

• 2. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
            Mainemoosepie Level 1

I have Adobe Acrobat Professional DC installed and you are correct the UI is a whirlwind of a change compared to the ancient 8.0 version I was using.

Here is my situation:

I have hundreds of documents that need better control. My baby step goal is to be sure individuals are using the current version/revision and not printing off 60 copies of a form sticking it in a file and not caring if it is the current version. My solution is when someone prints the document a line will print out at the bottom of the page displaying a print date then state that the document will expire 72hrs from the print date and that a new document will need to be accessed. We purchased Acrobat Pro DC to accomplish this.

I am successful doing this on a document by document basis but the theme here is to work smarter not harder I literally have hundreds of docs to complete and I know there has got to be a better way. I am new to Acrobat Professional DC and while fumbling around it appeared that the Actions Wizard could be a solution to my pain but I am not able to figure it out past the basic scripts that are available hence my original question.

I greatly appreciate your time in replying!

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You didn't really answer any of George's questions above... Please read his reply more carefully and provide exact answers, so we could help you further.

• 4. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
                Mainemoosepie Level 1

You are correct, I did not adequately answer the questions.

• I am using acrobat professional DC 2015 release.
                • I would like to have it hidden on the original pdf but upon printing the document have verbiage of a print date and that the document will expire in 72hrs (example: on Tuesday, September 02, 2015 format if possible ) and a new document must be obtained upon expiration.
                • I want this to print in the lower left corner of an 8.5"x 11" sheet using a portrait orientation. There are other variations but this would give me a good start.

Thanks for your time!

• 5. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
                  Mainemoosepie Level 1

My apologies for not thoroughly reading your question.

I have been exploring how to create custom actions. However, cannot seem to figure out how to create an action for a textfield placement to get the script to work properly. I will go seek out another forum and I appreciate you at least reading the post.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document

You need to get the crop box for the PDF page and then compute in printer points where to place the field. The location numbering starts in the lower left corner.

• 7. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
                      Mainemoosepie Level 1

Thanks, However I cannot even find how to do that in Adobe DC Pro. Only thing I can find is perhaps using the Print Production tool and use "Set Page Boxes" or "Add Printer Marks" and that is just a best guess.

For a GUI that was supposed to be so polished and easy to use it sure has made completing tasks more convoluted and all self help documentation is for earlier versions that do not crossover to DC pro. I have to say I am not impressed at all with my purchase of this version. What a waste of resources. 

• 8. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document
                        gmknobl at vt.edu Level 1

One command we used was "add header and footer" from the action wizard (you can search for that as it doesn't show immediate in the tools section.  You must create a new command to have access to this, I think, then you can search for and find that command.  Once you move that to the right by clicking the little box/button in the center of two columns, you then click on that command in on the right side.  You should now see a place to change the options of the command.  This is where you can specify the margins on the top and bottom of the file, choose the font then add such things as a date and time stamp or, I *think* add specific text.  Hopefully, they have the capability to add a date in the future too as you want (this would make sense since you used to be able to do this but this IS Adobe, so there's no guarantee.)  For us, we next added the print command which, oddly, was listed at the bottom in "other" commands.  This would allow us to start the action, get prompted to the files to apply this to, then print each with a date stamp.

Caveat - unless there is a way to suppress this, you will get prompted to save your changes to every file you apply this to.  So, for 100 documents, that's 100 clicks, before it process the next file.  This is also a new behavior in Acrobat Pro that's causing us issues.  I want to know how to suppress or cancel that dialog so it processes each, dropping changes in between.

• 9. Re: Can an action be created to put a print date and expiration date on a document

If this is not a one time action, I would look at creating scripts that could be used in a batch process and individual process. For the individual process, I would create field to hold the 2 dates and then a "Will Print" action, it would be a document callable function, to populate the fields. For a batch process I would create a process that added the fields and then populate them or add the necessary code for the "Will Print" action and to add the dates.