15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 4:42 AM by trshaner

How can I see the file size?

fotoroeder Adobe Community Professional

How can I see the file size in LR CC? I can see the size by pixel, I can see the Megapixel (who is interested in MP?). To see the file size i have to "Show in Finder". That´s boring.

Thanks in advance

Uwe

• 1. Re: How can I see the file size?
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Uwe,

Greetings!!!

Lightroom never store images so that is the reason it doesn't show the size of file.

So you can see the actual size in finder.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: How can I see the file size?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't display it in the in the Grid or Loupe views, but you can see 'File Size' in the Library Metadata panel.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I see the file size?
              Bob Somrak Level 5

You listed size by pixel dimension, megapixels and file size.  File size is the least useful of the three and it tells you almost nothing about the photo.  If you really want to see file size you can do that in Library Metadata panel by turning on EXIF and IPTC

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 4.10.49 PM.png

• 4. Re: How can I see the file size?

Bob Somrak wrote:

You listed size by pixel dimension, megapixels and file size.  File size is the least useful of the three and it tells you almost nothing about the photo.

Don't tell that to a Web designer where file size is equally important as pixel dimensions. I do a lot of work with scan image files using multiple layers. I would like file size in the Grid, Loupe and Filter bar to determine if I should flatten or remove files that have become bloated (100s of Megabytes). It would be useful for image files at both extremes in size.

• 5. Re: How can I see the file size?
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

I was mainly addressing the need file size IN Lightroom.  If you need to limit file size you should do that in Export.

• 6. Re: How can I see the file size?

Using the Export module 'Limit File Size' option will produce an unpredictable Quality level (as low as 0%). It is an inefficient way to control file size that may produce image files with very visible artifacts:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

Using the lowest Quality level setting that you consider acceptable is a much better way to control file size. But then it would be nice to see the file size of the Exported images from inside LR to determine if that is also acceptable.

IMHO inclusion of 'File Size' inside LR's Grid, Loupe and Filter Bar is a no-brainer and simple to implement. I can't think of one one good reason why it should NOT be included. Adobe can make it a View menu option so "beginners" don't get confused.

Peace Brother

• 7. Re: How can I see the file size?
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

I am sorry I implied using the "Limit File Size" option in Export.  I never (probably rarely) use this option.  I meant to suggest to use the Resize option and set the pixel dimensions to limit the file size along with quality level.   I too think it would be easy to implement  the option to see the file size in Lightroom but still do not see the benefit.  It does not provide any information whatsoever on what the derivative file size is going to be.

• 8. Re: How can I see the file size?

Hi to you all out there,

yes file size is important for the reasons as "trshaner" explains. I do a lot of work for certain pictures with 0N1 and now with "on1 photos 10". Using RAW from a D800 E the file size easily goes to 400 MB and even 1 GB. So if I see two pictures looking identical, file size would be the most interesting detail. As I know my cameras (Fuji XPro 1 and Nikon D800 E) I know my pixel dimensions by watching NEF and RAF.

So thanks for the Library Metadata tip.

trshaner:

IMHO inclusion of 'File Size' inside LR's Grid, Loupe and Filter Bar is a no-brainer and simple to implement. I can't think of one one good reason why it should NOT be included. Adobe can make it a View menu option so "beginners" don't get confused.

Absolutely yes

It would be so professional, really, to have file size.

Limit file size in Export is no good way to me. I want to keep as long as possible with the RAW file. Only when it comes to final work, the file size is the only one which interests.

I do also use name add ons like the dimensions in front of a name to know that it is a flattened image as a final choice for clients like for example they need 13x18 the name is

13x18_FILENAME.

Thanks to you - love, peace and happiness guys

Uwe

I finally found it, keeping with "Standard" does not show all EXIF and IPTC. It has to be checked in the panel settings.

• 9. Re: How can I see the file size?

Bob Somrak wrote:

I am sorry I implied using the "Limit File Size" option in Export.  I never (probably rarely) use this option.  I meant to suggest to use the Resize option and set the pixel dimensions to limit the file size along with quality level.

Yep, I've never used 'Limit File Size' because I know better. IMHO that's one option Adobe could remove and do more good than harm. We've seen numerous posts here from users who are confused when it doesn't do what they expect.

Bob Somrak wrote:

I too think it would be easy to implement  the option to see the file size in Lightroom but still do not see the benefit.  It does not provide any information whatsoever on what the derivative file size is going to be.

It's of little benefit concerning "original" camera files imported into LR. But it is helpful for reviewing Export and 'Edit in PS' files for all of the reason

• 10. Re: How can I see the file size?
                            DdeGannes Level 5

A feature request could be summited to the official Adobe Forum for Feature Requests and Bug Fixes.

Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom

• 11. Re: How can I see the file size?

So what to do inside the Photoshop Family? Can I start a new request/feature? Did not find how to ...

• 12. Re: How can I see the file size?

fotoroeder wrote:

I finally found it, keeping with "Standard" does not show all EXIF and IPTC. It has to be checked in the panel settings.

I guess Adobe did it that way to "protect" beginners......and confuse advanced users. Just kid'n.

• 13. Re: How can I see the file size?
                                  DdeGannes Level 5

I believe I should have provided the main link. I sent the section for Lightroom.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 14. Re: How can I see the file size?

Gues this could be the reason.

uwe

• 15. Re: How can I see the file size?

At this link under 'Share an idea' you can create a suggestion:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

I did find the below suggestion created three years ago with no activity, but it does show yet another use for displaying file size. Camera raw and Camera JPEG file size increases proportional to the image sharpness (i.e. lack of motion, focus accuracy, F stop setting) when comparing shots of the same subject composition.

Lightroom: Allow display of file size in library module