2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 7:06 PM by larrys60261009

AfterEffects error: Error (4) reading frame from file (86 :: 2)

larrys60261009
      • After Effects Version: 11.0.4.2 All updates installed
      • Computer: Dell Precision M6600 Mobile Workstation (laptop)
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 All updates installed
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU@2.40 GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 logical Processors
      • Memory: 16 GB RAM
      • Video Card: NVidia Quadro 3000M
      • Video Driver Version: 9.18.13.2762
      • Video Driver Date: 10/28/2013

• I am just starting to use After Effects on this home computer after purchasing Creative Suite about 2.5 years ago.
      • After Effects has never worked before on this computer. I use After Effects CC regularly at work.
      • Source footage is from Canon video camera. It was accidentally shot at 23.97 frames per second.
      • I have many video files and all of them cause this error.
      • I am running Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus.
      • It is a clean Windows (and Adobe) install from two weeks ago as a result of Windows 10 toasting my hard drive.

• After Effects opens. But when I import the file, I get the error message. I cannot run the clip. At first I could see a key frame of the clip. But after having the error, I just get a black viewer.

• Can you help me? I invested heavily in Creative Suite just before CC came out. Now Adobe won't help me.
      • Thanks!
        • 1. Re: AfterEffects error: Error (4) reading frame from file (86 :: 2)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have not provided any useful details about the actual footage, but if the error occurs with multiple clips, then most likely you are using wrong recording settings on your camera or the clips are damaged/ malformatted. On the other hand you could be using some crappy "CoDec pack" on your system that makes a mess of Adobe's own CoDecs or the chosen format not be CS& compatible in the first place. Impossible to tell based on your insufficient information.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AfterEffects error: Error (4) reading frame from file (86 :: 2)
            larrys60261009 Level 1

As a result of your advice, I pursued the settings angle. I converted the file to a 29.97 frame rate in an MP4 format that I usually use using Handbrake and now After Effects is working normally. Apparently it was a problem with the camera settings. Some Brits were in town, borrowed my camera, and must have changed some of the camera settings. I'll have to figure out how to get it back to my standard settings. But the bottom line is that I'm back in business. Many thanks!

Larry