• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader DC not set as default after using customization wizard and SCCM. Windows 10 Entx64

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

we use SCCM to deploy software and configured Reader DC similarly to how we used previous version of reader.

Part of this process is make reader the default pdf handler

When deployed as part of a task sequence, Reader is not the default for any user. (Edge remains the default)

When deployed as an application and installed by 1 user, reader becomes the default for that user, but no other users.

Any ideas on whats needed to resolve this?

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What OS?
  • Is Acrobat installed?
  • Is this true for standalone PDFs on the computer that are not being viewed in the browser?
  • PDFs on the machine are not associated with an Adobe Reader icon?
  • Have you used the Wizard to customize the install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What OS?
    • Windows 10 Enterprise x64

• Is Acrobat installed?
    • Yes, Acrobat X installed first, also not default handler

• Is this true for standalone PDFs on the computer that are not being viewed in the browser?
    • PDFs tested were opened from network share

• PDFs on the machine are not associated with an Adobe Reader icon?
    • No, that is the issue i thought i described.

• Have you used the Wizard to customize the install?
    • As per post title - yes

Command to install: msiexec /i "AcroRead.msi" /q TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /L* "%temp%\Acrobat Reader DC install.log"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Reader manually without the Wizard/SCCM in the workflow and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logging on as a user and running AcroRead.msi results in the default being set for that user.

future users still have Edge set as the default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's support for Windows 10 is relatively new (as is the presence of Edge on enterprise systems) and I suspect that you may be encountering a bug. I'll ping some folks who can test a Win 10 environment.

I doubt this will help, but you could try setting IW_DEFAULT_VERB on the cmd line. Adobe Properties — Enterprise Administration Guide.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

tried that and same result.

Will try with Reader XI and see if it has the same issue, may need to look at using that instead though if its working.

*update* Reader XI has the same issue - default viewer is only changed for the logged on user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use parameter "OWNERSHIP_STATE=2" in your command to install . It will set Reader as default PDF handler for all existing users on machine.

New Command to install will be : msiexec /i "AcroRead.msi" /q TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" OWNERSHIP_STATE=2  /L* "%temp%\Acrobat Reader DC install.log".

For existing users on machine ownership will be in effect only when they sign out and sign in again after Installation.

But it looks like an issue from Windows 10 side for new users (Created after installation) .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sourabsharma wrote:

Please use parameter "OWNERSHIP_STATE=2" in your command to install . It will set Reader as default PDF handler for all existing users on machine.

New Command to install will be : msiexec /i "AcroRead.msi" /q TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" OWNERSHIP_STATE=2  /L* "%temp%\Acrobat Reader DC install.log".

Yes i tried that as per Custom transform file from Acrobat Wizard not applying to Acrobat DC installation

I agree, it seems to be a windows 10 issue - although the file handler was updated immediately when installed for the current user without requiring logoff/restart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue with Adobe Reader DC in my environment as well.  The application will only apply the default PDF handling settings for the logged in user, not all users on the system.  Have there been any updates to this issue/has a bug been filed?  If my environment can be helpful in isolating the issue, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any improvement to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try this out, but this introduces another issue

Users who prefer acrobat to be the default viewer will no longer have this possibility as it is reset every logon.

Has this issue been brought up with Microsoft by adobe? Im sure you have more power here in this regard. Is it the intended design for edge to steal ownership for every user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may also try the steps mentioned in this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/not-default-pdf-owner.html

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines