8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 11:52 AM by Rick Gerard

Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?

kamalam62204824

I have a 2011 Mac Book Pro with  8 GB of RAM and The RAM preview only plays in 10 second Incraments. I want to pull my hair out! I don't have the $$ to buy a new computer. If I upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and get a brand new SSD Hard drive will After Effects run, or am I wasting my $$. Please help, I have a very important project. It's about 12 minutes long and i need to add a lot of after effects to it to complete my project

• 1. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And what is actually your question? What do you hope to achieve by pimping your hardware? RAM previews will always be limited to a certain length, especially if you use full resolution. It will in fact not even double the duration if you double your memory. I think you do not understand some fundamental basics about what AE does and how it works and are desperately looking for a hardware solution like a panicked chicken, when perhaps a smarter workflow could do more for you...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Short answers to your questions:

After Effects will definitely run more happily with 16GB of RAM vs 8GB.

Your MBP will be much snappier with an SSD generally, and a little snappier in AE.  But make sure you do your research and buy a good SSD that plays well on a Mac.  There are plenty of cheap, bad SSDs on the market, and some that don't work well with Mac hardware.  Get a professional to install it if you are not proficient with such hardware installation.  Theres nothing worse than turning your machine on with 400 bucks worth of new gear inside it and nothing happens.

Increasing your RAM won't substantially increase your RAM preview capabilities. Maybe it will double the current preview length, maybe it won't. But you certainly won't get 12 minutes of RAM Preview.  Look at your workflow to get real gains:  work on short segments rather than the whole project at one time.  Preview at half or lower resolutions when possible.

• 3. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, have you optimized your system: Optimizing After Effects Performance - Adobe Support

Second, it sounds like you are fairly new to AE and that your workflow is not very efficient. Here's the deal. After Effects isn't an editing app, it's a graphics and compositing app designed to create shots or short sequences. Most, I would say more than 90% of my AE projects are under 10 seconds because I'm creating shots (with handles - extra frames) that I'm going to edit in PPro or some other NLE. Some of those 10 second comps have a hundred layers or more. If I were making a 12 minute movie I would rough cut it first in Premiere Pro to figure out what the best way to tell the story was, then each shot that needed effects would become a separate AE comp. At the very least each scene should be a comp. In most stories that are told as a movie a scene is no more than a minute or two. The average shot is probably under 6 seconds. I can't imagine trying to put together 12 minutes in a single AE comp, not because I couldn't do it, but because I'd probably want to change the timing of some of the cuts, modify the audio, or do some other editing before I was done and changes in the middle of a 12 minute project would be a nightmare.

Here's how a work on almost every editing project.

• Rough cut in a NLE like Premiere Pro until the story makes sense
              • Bring the shots into AE that need effects or animation
              • Inside AE I first do a Pencil test to check timing of animation and preview with the comp panel at 50% or even 25% and resolution set to Auto to make sure the timing is ok
              • Effects are added and critical frames are checked at 100% for color and everything else but I seldom ram preview more than a few frames because I'm already happy with the timing
              • The comp is sent to the AME (Media Encoder) or sometimes the render cue to render in a suitable production format (usually 10 bit or better, often an image sequence)
              • If the comp is sent to the AME I continue working on the next shot until I have completed all of the effects work
              • The rendered effects footage is brought back into the NLE to replace the shots in the rough cut and the edit is polished
              • The project is then added to Audition for final sound mix
              • The final color grading is done - usually in Speed Grade or Resolve
              • The final product is rendered to a production format for archiving and to a distribution format (usually h.264 mp4)

There's a lot of bouncing back and forth but this is the most efficient way to work on any project. Did you notice that a full length full resolution RAM preview is not done at any time?

If the edit only requires a few short shots or sequences to be processed in AE I'll occasionally use Dynamic Link, but most of the time all effects work is rendered. It just makes things much more efficient.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
                kamalam62204824 Level 1

Yes, I am new to AE, Lol

This is great, my show is 12 minutes but within the show there are a few 20-30 second long segments which I want to add animated lines to go with the commentary.

I will now just crop in PPro and import only those sections to render in AE

Thanks so much, this was extremely helpful because I've been to the Mac and TEKSERVE stores and they just advise me to buy a $3K computer.

I would love to take a course but don't have the $$ and have been learning through you tube tutorials so far.

I am also going to make sure I have the correct settings to optimize my performance

Thanks again,

Much appreciated 

Kami

• 6. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
                  kamalam62204824 Level 1

I am not up to speed with the fundamentals of AE that's why I am asking for help on this forum.

• 7. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kamalam62204824 wrote:

I am not up to speed with the fundamentals of AE that's why I am asking for help on this forum.

We'll help if we can.

You will help both us and yourself if you go though a decent set of beginner resources first. That way you'll at least know what we're talking about and what words to use to describe your issues!

Here's a great (free!) starting resource: http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Can I run After Effects with 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and a brand new SSD Hard drive?
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to Watch out for YouTube tutorials. Most of them but I have seen offer very poorly thought out workflows and inefficient techniques. The most reliable source for instruction is usually to type a short question like any "animating shape layers" in the search help field at the top right corner of After Effects. Manufacturers like Red Giant Software also usually have good tutorials on the use of their products on the factory sites.

1 person found this helpful