8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 3:32 AM by Willi Adelberger

Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...

zmatheny

Hi All, I have a few questions. I'm working in comics and usually put my books together in Indesign before I send them off to press. They typically are about 150 pages max.

Each page is about a 30mb AI file. Recently things got more difficult. My client now wants a 550 page book (art is the same as the other books I do, 30 MB imported AI for each ID page).

The two big problems I have and need help with are:

1. I'm guessing 550 pages at 30 MB per page will crash my computer. (A book I recently did with 144 page exported a 2.45 GB pdf - the packaged ID file was 2.9GB) This file I have to create now

will be over 3x that file. How do I create a book file that won't be that huge? I'm guessing in part, but that leads me to my second question and possibly third question...

2. The book needs page numbering. To complicate things further, the page numbering needs to be on only comic pages. There will be black pages and title pages in between the different books.

I can't have the page numbering number the pages that aren't comic art and if I make this multiple documents to keep the size down, I need to then have the numbering start continuing off the last

book document onto the new book document. IE, if I divide this into 4 parts and part 1 is 125 pages, I need part 2 to start numbering at 126.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I searched all over the web and nothing really answers this situation clearly.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You can restart page numbering anywhere you want and with any value you want. This is not limited to multiple documents only. However, there is no (standard) way to have numbering only count certain pages, so you need to manually reset the page numbering after each skip. It would be a nuisance if your book changes significantly throughout the process, but from the looks of it, it sounds as if you got everything already in the correct order so you only (for a relative value of "only") need to do this once. See the online Help on "section numbering" (each new First Page Number is considered a separate 'section'): https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/numbering-pages-chapters-sections.html#define_secti on_numbering

There is not much you can do about the PDF file size. Vector data does not compress or downsample – and you wouldn't want that anyway for a final print version. You don't mention your InDesign file size as a problem, so I guess you are already doing the right thing and linking to your artwork files instead of wholesale embedding them into ID.

But creating a full PDF out of this is not as CPU intense as you think: if every page contains a single placed image, all InDesign has to do is stream it into a PDF and continue with the next page. The final PDF size should be inconsequential to the process (that's the theory, at least).

• 2. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

zmatheny wrote:

2. The book needs page numbering. To complicate things further, the page numbering needs to be on only comic pages. There will be black pages and title pages in between the different books.

I can't have the page numbering number the pages that aren't comic art

Do you mean that you don't want the page numbers to to appear on title/blank pages or that you want the numbering to skip them? The former would be done by applying master pages that don't have the page numbers on. The latter would also require Jongware's suggestion of altering 'Start Page Numbering at', in the pages' Numbering & Section Options, either through the flyout menu of the Pages palette, or through the Layout menu.

• 3. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

And to concur with Jongware, I don't think you'll gain much by splitting into separate documents and, of course, link, don't embed. Presuming AI files are largely vector, there's not much you can't do to reduce file size besides drawing as efficiently as possible.

• 4. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
                zmatheny Level 1

Thanks for the help. How do you know if you are embedding the files? I don't think I am since the file size of whole document is only 80mb on 144 pages.

The AI files I have include tif artwork and vector lettering. When I go to export pdf from ID, should I compress color art to 300dpi Bicubic? Will that mess with

artwork that is 450 dpi? It shouldn't for printing, right? It has a zip compression option there too. Not sure what that is. The other thing I see is, "compress

text and line art". Does checking that affect the quality?

Danny, I have a document that I formatted with page numbering. Problem is, I have two master pages. One with numbering on right side and one with numbering

on left side of the page. When I go to add pages via document setup, they all come in on the left side. Is there a way other than manually adding 350 pages to

alternate the master pages?

Lastly, how do I create a master page that will let me skip the numbering scheme I have going. In other words, If I have art that is numbered and then I have a chapter

break that I don't want numbered, and then I want the numbering to continue where it left off on the last chapter. Right now, I created a 3rd master page and when I

put a few of those in between the chapters, when the numbering starts back up it has skipped up to the actual book page number, not continuing from my last numbered

page.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
                  Danny Whitehead. Level 4

You probably would benefit from applying some downsampling when you create the PDF, but the effect of it depends on the nature of the raster art (pixel based art - i.e. your TIFFs). Is it colour, greyscale or black and white line art with no tones? Are there hard edges and small detail you need to keep?

Your InDesign document should be set up as facing pages, with two-page master pages - one with the page numbers on, set to align ‘Away From Spine’, and one without the page numbers and any other elements common to your title page.

Lastly, would you mind my asking why you want to do that? It’s seems quite unconventional.

• 6. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
                    zmatheny Level 1

The unconventional method is due to my lack of knowing what I am doing. haha

I think I didn't do facing pages because whenever there is a double page spread, it created some kind of problem.

I'm not sure though. I am starting to think I did single pages because i can't figure how to get the numbering to

go to left and right sides of the pages. They would always be on the left side.

• 7. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
                      Danny Whitehead. Level 4

zmatheny wrote:

The unconventional method is due to my lack of knowing what I am doing. haha

I think I didn't do facing pages because whenever there is a double page spread, it created some kind of problem.

I'm not sure though. I am starting to think I did single pages because i can't figure how to get the numbering to

go to left and right sides of the pages. They would always be on the left side.

That should be solved by using facing pages and two-page masters, with the page numbers (folios) in the desired position on the left and right hand (verso and recto) pages. The ability to align text towards and away from the spine can be particularly helpful when creating your folios. On the master for pages where an AI file will be placed, you can put an empty frame on the master.

I'd also recommend using more conventional numbering, where the title pages follow the usual sequence, but don't have the folios printed on them.

• 8. Re: Creating 550 Page book with page numbering...
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
                        1. Don't embed AI files, place and link them.
                        2. Use facing pages instead as single page document, so the left and right page numbers are applied automatically.
                        3. For pages without numbers, create a different master and apply it.