7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 12:22 AM by ultrastatic

30bit color support on Mac

ultrastatic Level 1

Will After Effects be supporting 10bit/channel color now that Apple finally started to do this in El Capitan?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 30bit color support on Mac
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have been able to work in high bit depth projects for many versions of AE and Photoshop. AE was given 32 bit support in 2006.

After Effects supports 8, 16, and 32 bit color in the Project settings. AE will also render to 10 bit codecs like ProRez and others. It's been this way for a long time. Read up here: After Effects Help | Color basics.

You can access the color depth settings in the Project settings or change them by holding down the Alt/Option key while clicking the color depth indicator in the project panel:Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 12.35.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 12.35.05 AM.png

If you are talking about the 10 bit color display on the monitor then that depends on the monitor. Unless I'm mistaken any app that will render 10 bit or higher color will display that higher color if the monitor supports it.

• 2. Re: 30bit color support on Mac
            ultrastatic Level 1

Yes I know this, but that was not my question although I could have been more clear.

I want to know if Adobe will be supporting the displaying of 10bit/channel colors on supported Macs. I always work in 32 bits float but AE will always output 8bit/channel to the display as of yet!

• 3. Re: 30bit color support on Mac

I'm pretty sure that AE and Photoshop and anything else capable of rendering higher bit depth color will send that info to the monitor if it will support it. My new MacBook Pro R certainly looks a lot better on the retina screen than it does when plugged into a standard or even 4K external monitor that is only 8 bit and I don't see any banding. I may be wrong, but back in the day when we had thousands of colors in VGA monitors and we also had Millions of colors available the AE and Photoshop certainly looked better when we changed the display properties.

• 4. Re: 30bit color support on Mac
                ultrastatic Level 1

Well, they don't. Thank you for trying to help, but applications need to add support for this so that's why I came here to ask.

• 5. Re: 30bit color support on Mac

I'll let the experts chime in but if I create a gradient ramp in AE that only spans an RGB value change of say 50% to 10% over a 4K image and I look at it with on my Retina display and my Dell 8 bit monitor at the same time I clearly see banding on the Dell and I do not see banding on the Retina Display when the project is set to 16 or 32 bit color. It may just be wishful thinking, but it's certainly much easier to do critical color and blending adjustments on the Retina Display than it is on the Dell.

• 6. Re: 30bit color support on Mac
                    ultrastatic Level 1

You can check for this in About this mac -> System Report -> Graphics/Displays

For pixel depth it will say:

32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

which means 8 alpha bits and 8 bits/channel RGB

Supported 30 bit displays connected to supported GPUs (specific AMD models only) will say:

30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

which means 2 alpha bits and 10 bits/channel RGB

Support for this only started with OS X 10.11, previous versions of OS X can only output 8 bit/channel to displays.

I see banding on my LG 34UM95. It is a 10 bit display but connected to an NVidia GPU. If After Effects gets updated to support 10 bit/channel I might get an AMD GPU.

• 7. Re: 30bit color support on Mac
                      ultrastatic Level 1

Can someone from Adobe comment on this? DaVinci Resolve just added 10-Bit support for OS X. DaVinci Resolve 12.1 Adds New Editing & Color Improvements, Plus 10-Bit Support in OSX