3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 4:34 AM by emjae8

Rendering in after effects on a server pc // Building a server

emjae8

Ok, so here is my question i render videos in after effects for my youtube channel, the videos are musical averege lenght 7minutes and the videos include spectrum efects, time effects aswell as moving picture, moving timebar etc, currently i have lenovo laptop with 16gigs of ram, i7-4700mq porcessor and nvidia GT 755m graphic card, now with that settings to render one tune it takes on averege one hour which i find a bit too long (plus i dont want to put my laptop to such stress on a daily basics), so i was thinking of building a cheap server just for rendering purposes and here are my specs:

MB: SuperMicro X7DBU

PROC: 2x Intel Xeon X5355 2.66 GHz Quad-Core SLAC4

Ram: SAMSUNG 32GB 8x4GB 2Rx4 DDR2 PC2-5300F FB DIMM 667 Mhz ECC Fully Buffered Memory

so my question here would be, will i be able to render videos in after effects using both processors & full ram? do i have to install windows server edition to utilize both processors or will windows 10 work aswell? hope anyone has an asnwer to this

• 1. Re: Rendering in after effects on a server pc // Building a server
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The Pro, Enterprise and Business editions of Windows support multiple processors. You do not need a server version. The rest we can't really know, since you left out the most critical info: Which version of AE? If it's CC 2015, then it wouldn't matter, since the multiprocessing feature is MIA. For otehr versions it may work, though you shouldn't expect miracles. There are other aspects that affect AE performance like linear file access for clip-based input and output. Even the most powerful system can sit on its hands because of such things...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rendering in after effects on a server pc // Building a server
            emjae8 Level 1

great that helps, well is AE cs6 we are talking about here

• 3. Re: Rendering in after effects on a server pc // Building a server
              emjae8 Level 1

actualy i slightly changed the plan and got this machine for 200usd:

Supermicro rack server X7DBU 2x Xeon E5420 Quad CPU 16GB RAM 6x 300GB SAS HD

now, i will be upgrading ram to 32gb but for now we will see how it will work with windows 10 on it, now you mentioned that both actually have 8 threads which is true but my laptop has 4physical ones and 4logical ones, now with server it will be 8physical, but to my knowledge After effects uses more ram than actualy processor (when i render ram used is 14gb and proc power arround 50-60%)

SPECS:

2x Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core CPU 8x 2.5GHz

L2-Cache: 12MB

Instruction set 64-bit

socket: LGA771

Current Ram: 8x 2GB = 16GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC

(12 DIMM slots)

SAS HD: 6x 300GB 3,5” SAS HDD