6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 8:59 AM by Gutter-Fish

IS this normal?

Gutter-Fish Level 4

I have these strange markings (unicode?) on all of the After Effects folders in my AppData\Roaming directory.  Is this normal?

adobe anomoly01.jpg

adobe anomoly02.jpg

• 1. Re: IS this normal?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If After Effects and Windows are both running without fault, why worry?

• 2. Re: IS this normal?
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

Hence the question, is it normal?  If it's not supposed to be there then it stands to reason that either Windows or AE is running WITH a fault.  MVP huh?

• 3. Re: IS this normal?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry if you didn't like my response.  Clearly, weird characters on your display is NOT normal.  A quick Google search will demonstrate that this is not an uncommon occurrence on Windows systems.

I was simply pointing out that, if it isn't interrupting your use of your computer, or your computer's performance, is it worth stopping work?  I'm a video professional and work 8-16 hours a day in studios and suites all over the world.  If I stopped to worry about every idiosyncrasy on every machine I use I'd never get any work done.  If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. 

• 4. Re: IS this normal?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without actual system info nobody can tell you much. Often this happens with specific system folders when the operating system cache does not update properly and/or it tries to generate thumbnails. Folder and file names then sometimes are temporarily pre-fixed with special characters until the caches have been rebuilt. If it doesn't go away, you may want to check for tools that interfere with these operations and monitor the folders when AE is running. Could well be that some file is being accessed and things get messed up.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: IS this normal?
                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks.    Although I do not work in studios and suites all over the world such as yourself, my time is worth something.  Which is why sifting through all the different, old, non-specific, not what I was expecting articles, blogs and forum exchanges discussing this issue was something I decided to put aside, opting instead to ask the Adobe community if it was normal (meaning are the markings on the some folders on your system?)...since the issue is specific to Adobe system files.  And not that it's relevant, but just for the record I have not stopped work over it.   Anyway thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedual to tell me to "ignore it", "Google it" & still finding the time to tell me a little bit about your career.  

• 6. Re: IS this normal?
                    Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks Mylenium.....I just wanted to know if these marking were supposed to be on those folders.  Which is why I came here.  I'll look further into the issue elswhere.

-Gutterfish