13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 5:12 AM by rhythmo

OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?

rhythmo

Hi,

I am still running Mountain Lion on my Mac mini (late 2012). My computer is well withing the guidelines for upgrading to El Capitan and I finally feel like it is time to do it. Do we know yet if PE & PS 13 will run smoothly if I upgrade?

Thanks so much,

rhythmo

• 1. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rhythmo

For the Photoshop Elements portion of your question, I would take advantage of the specialized expertise at the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum. Lots of discussions going on there about Photoshop Elements El Capitan issues.

Photoshop Elements

From the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac perspective, there are reports of problems and no problems. Looks like there is a high probability that Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac will work on El Capitan. But no guarantees. El Captian is not listed in the System Requirements for 13/13.1, but that means that Adobe has not tested 13/13.1 Mac on El Capitan and not that there is a flat out non support.

ATR

• 2. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
            rhythmo Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for your reply and the info. For me, I need to know that either they both work or I won't do the upgrade, because I need both. Do you have any kind of a guess how long it might be until Adobe tests 13/13.1 Mac on El Capitan and when we might get the results? Until then, I guess I have to stick with what I have.

rhythmo

• 3. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Versions 13 of Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements have been running just fine since my El Capitan upgrade. Exactly as they did in Yosemite. (The core of OSX really hasn't changed that much.)

• 4. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rhythmo

Thanks for the follow up.

In my last post I wrote

From the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac perspective, there are reports of problems and no problems. Looks like there is a high probability that Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac will work on El Capitan. But no guarantees. El Captian is not listed in the System Requirements for 13/13.1, but that means that Adobe has not tested 13/13.1 Mac on El Capitan and not that there is a flat out non support.

Post 3 gives you one example of one who is working with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on El Capitan. One from several for the no problems list. As for Adobe testing Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on El Capitan and giving an official pronouncement on that, I could envision a scenario for that for Premiere Elements 14 but not 13/13.1. But, I am not Adobe, and I have no insider information on what Adobe might or might not do with its documents for official System Requirements in this regard.

If you decide to upgrade to El Capitan and it does not work for you, does Apple give you the opportunity to revert to the prior operating system?

As I may have mentioned, I am strictly an Elements Windows user. Recently I upgraded one of my Windows 7 64 bit computers to Windows 10 64 bit with the safety net that I could switch back to Windows 7 64 bit within a month of the switch. Apparently Microsoft's count on the month was different than mine. When I went to switch back to 7 with my count for "within a month", I could not.

ATR

• 5. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                  rhythmo Level 1

Thanks Steve. I never upgraded to Yosemite, I am still running Mountain Lion. But theoretically I could jump right to El Capitan as my year/model is supported. I have everything backed up - do you know if using my time machine I could jump back to Mountain Lion if I experience a problem?

• 6. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                    rhythmo Level 1

Hi ATR,

I've also read many people saying no issues, which is a bit comforting, though official word from Adobe would certainly be better. Assuming Adobe tests PE14 I guess it would be the same for PE13, because I've heard they are similar - you think I'm wrong on that?

I think I could revert to my old OS if necessary using Time Machine - I just asked Steve about that higher in the thread,

best,

rhythmo

• 7. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rhythmo

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to learning about the how to for reversing when necessary El Capitan to a prior Mac operating system. Good question.

ATR

• 8. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?

Back-grading is not something Macs are designed to do easily. Apple assumes you only want the newest and best. But here's how, if you dare:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/delete-el-capitan-go-back-to-yosemite-358187 2/

• 9. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                          rhythmo Level 1

Thank you, Steve. Truth be told, you writing "if you dare" scares the hell out of me. I wonder if this isn't even riskier in my case because I'm currently not using Yosemite, I'm still using Mountain Lion.

So if I have a Time Machine backup, upgrade to El Capitan, have problems and revert to my latest Time Machine backup, it restores the data but not the OS?

• 10. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?

I suppose so. I've just never been overly cautious about being on the current operating system -- Windows, Mac, Android or iOS. And it's always worked to my advantage. So I've never down-grading an operating system before.

• 11. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                              Nickadobe

Hi,

I upgraded to El Capitan when it became available (from Yosemite) everything was fine for a couple of weeks now I can't get Elements 13 to open at all. I've tried every fix anyone has suggested to no avail. So I would be very wary about going over to El Capitan until Adobe / Apple get their systems working together. I've gone back to Aperture to keep my work flowing!

• 12. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Nickadobe

Thanks for taking the time to contribute your Premiere Elements 13 Mac El Capitan experience.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so I cannot dig into the situation to try to sort through to solutions. From what I have read, it looks like it is up to Adobe and Apple to brake the tug of war between those with and without Premiere Elements Mac El Capitan workflow stopping issues. Maybe a Premiere Elements Mac El Capitan Adobe document on troubleshooting Premiere Elements Mac El Capitan?

ATR

• 13. Re: OK to upgrade to el capitian, using PE & PS 13?
                                  rhythmo Level 1

Thanks, Nickadobe. As I have a big project coming up and can't risk not having access to PE, I think I'm going to hold off on the upgrade for a while.