6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 5:12 AM by BobLevine

Fixed layout epub crashing in ibooks on load and on video play

animatorjenn

I'm working on creating training documents for my company. We decided that epub was the way to go - as it is portable and also offers interactive content (video, images, animations, etc).

The document has about 10 different short/small videos (about 25 mb at most) in it - compressed to Apple's guidelines. It is important that we have video content alongside the text content - or else we would have just created a traditional PDF.

Right now I am having a problem where the fixed layout epub we are creating crashes in iBooks.

• In iBooks on the mac, the epub works fine. It doesn't give errors when in developer mode.
      • In iBooks on the iPad, the epub loads, but crashes when a video is played.
      • On the iPhone, the epub's first page loads and then it immediately crashes.

I can not share the file for troubleshooting, unfortunately. It's for internal use only.

What should I be doing/looking for to troubleshoot this? I've been googling and reading on it with very little success.

(Also, the fonts render horribly large on a lot of epub readers. Does Adobe test for this across epub readers? It seems like a pretty basic problem to solve.)