• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to open and edit pdf files from sharepoint Online

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a SharePoint online (Office 365) doc library with pdf files.  The users need to be able to click on a document and have it open in Acrobat the same way a docx files opens in Word. They need to be able to check in and check out the document, make edits, save it back to the server, and then close the file, the same way it works with Word.  I've done extensive research into this only to find out I need to edit the DOCICON.xml file on the SP server.  Since I'm on SharePoint online, I'm not able to do that.   Also, I've read that an Internet Explorer Add On called "Adobe Acrobat SharePoint OpenDocuments Component" is needed to make this work.  I don't have that add on, and I can't figure out how to add it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.    I'm using acrobat XI Pro, SharePoint Online 2013, and IE 11  

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

We upgraded to Adobe Writer 2017 DC solved the issue. New version has an option to save to OneDrive and SharePoint Online directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Hello,

I installed Acrobat DC Pro 2018 and from inside SharePoint document library the only option for PDF files is to open in browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Perry.Fiscus,

This is supposed to an issue at Microsoft's end, I will recommend you to consult the support team on Microsoft to get the updates.

As a workaround if you have an internal service you can create a temporary directly to create the links for one time use.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AadeshSingh‌,

Are you sure this is a Microsoft issue?  Some of us have been struggling with this issue for far too long now.  Adobe apparently wants everyone to work directly from Acrobat, but that's just not how 99% of people work.  We browse to SharePoint using a web browser and click on the linked documents to open them up.  Any Office applications are conscious of the fact that this document came from a SharePoint link and when a user click Save, the document will be saved to the same location it was opened from.  For some reason, Adobe Acrobat downloads the file to a local temp directory (forgetting altogether that it came from SharePoint) and when the user hits Save after making their changes, they close the document thinking everything is great.  In reality, they've only saved the change to a temporary folder that will ultimately clean itself out.  This is such an outrageous fail.  I can't believe Adobe hasn't addressed this issue.

At the very least, it'd be nice if Acrobat could provide some sort of warning that the user is saving to a temporary directory when they choose Save since it's quite unlikely that anyone would ever want to do that anyway.  Allow users to disable that warning perhaps, but Adobe needs to take responsibility for the fact that they're really misleading the user into thinking the changes are being saved back up to SharePoint when in fact that is not the case.

Again, how certain are you that this is a Microsoft issue?

Perry.Fiscus‌ -- the "Acrobat SharePoint OpenDocuments Component" doesn't help matters at all.  I have it and it makes no difference in the case that I outlined above.  I'm really not sure what the point of it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else experiencing this issue, it'd be nice if you took the chance to officially request the UI feature that I described above.

"At the very least, it'd be nice if Acrobat could provide some sort of warning that the user is saving to a temporary directory when they choose Save" since it's quite unlikely that anyone would ever want to do that anyway.  Allow users to disable that warning perhaps, but Adobe needs to take responsibility for the fact that they're really misleading the user into thinking the changes are being saved back up to SharePoint when in fact that is not the case."

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we migrate from SHP2007 to SPO, we now have this same issue and have not been able to find an adequate solution.  This impacts nearly 2000 users in a single application, there will be more as we get further down the road.  We did take this to a Microsoft Engineer and he tells us that MS's position is that this an Adobe problem.  They are not addressing it.  It seems that Adobe is not addressing it satisfactorily either.  As customers, we are stuck in the middle.  The Online Accounts option provided in more recent Readers is insufficient for our users, it adds to many steps and for most of them it is too technical anyway.  They are accustom to the features of SharePoint, specifically folderless views.  They have no way of knowing how to browse to a document, even if they could set up the Online Account to get them there.  As a result, our major upgrade is turning into a painful downgrade.  There are many Legal, Government, Finance and Banking organizations that have learned to work this way, leveraging PDF documents in SharePoint libraries allows them to meet their regulatory requirements and provide a robust end user experience.   In Adobe's and Microsoft's new "augmented partnership" announced on Sept 7th 2017, can this now get moved to the top of the list for solutioning?  Please sort this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using harmonie. Plugin sharepoint viwer in outlook.

I have installed acrobat reader DC on several pc, and in just half of them the check in funksjon is working.

I have set the pdf reader to be deafult, and for some pc the 365login starts when I opened å dokument in the sharepoint plugin that was chekt in.

On half of the computer it just open the file.

It is very efektiv to edit dokument in the sharepoint plugin when it is possible check ut the dokument an edit in acrobat read and save it back in sharepoint.

I am jusing win 10 and office 3658 2016 and sharepoint online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We upgraded to Adobe Writer 2017 DC solved the issue. New version has an option to save to OneDrive and SharePoint Online directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I installed Acrobat DC Pro 2018 and from inside SharePoint document library the only option for PDF files is to open in browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue is not yet fixed. If you open a document from SharePoint Online document library - somehow you can open it in desktop client but you can't save it back to the library. It wants you to download the document to local computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines