6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 7:55 AM by Philms

PDF Presets vanished - help!

Philms

My pdf presets in inDesign have suddenly disappeared.

I have read similar posts and various "help" and "troubleshoot" info, but none of it seems to correspond with file names & locations etc on my PC.

I am no techie, so really do need a layman's step-by-step guide on how to get them back.

I have also downloaded some presets in a zip file from Hightail (Peter Spier) - but I have no idea what to do with them once I've downloaded them - plus not all of my original presets are there anyway.

I would like to know why they suddenly disappeared - it is causing me a real headache (not to mention causing me deadline issues) - but, most importantly, I want them back.

All I have is something that says "Blurb pdf".

I have inDesign CS6 (Design package), on a Windows 7 (Pro) 64-bit PC.

Please do not blind me with science. I am a designer.

• 1. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you talk about give presets, ereinstall the application where it comes from. InDesign has its own set but other apps might install others which are also visible, so install that application again, where it comes from.

If they are done by yourself, go back to your last backup and restore them or create them new on the scratch.

• 2. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
            Philms Level 1

I do not understand what you are saying. When I purchased inDesign (as part of CS6) a few years ago, the PDF presets appearing in inDesign were there. I haven't adapted it at all. Then, about 2 weeks ago, the presets vanished. I don't know where they are "stored", or how to load or unload them.

As I said previously, telling me to install or uninstall something is not helpful, as I have not changed anything, and I need a step-by-step guide on what to do.

I repeat, I have not changed anything - it has changed itself.

Please, no jargon.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
              Derek Cross Level 6

Curiously, Blurb PDF Export, is not a standard InDesign PDF preset and would have been downloaded from Blurb (or someone) and installed.

Have you tried trashing your InDesign Preferences: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• 4. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
                Philms Level 1

Hi Derek. As stated, none of the file/folder links seems to correspond with my PC. e.g. the following in your "trash" link:

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

I cannot find an "AppData" file anywhere. I've spent ages looking for various file threads as defined in the troubleshooters. None of it makes sense.

I have no idea what Blurb is. It just appeared - which would be ok if it hadn't made the presets disappear. I'm desperate now. Work is suffering.

• 5. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
                  Philms Level 1

Derek, thank you. After numerous attempts, I've managed to trash preferences - and it seems ok now. Fingers crossed.

• 6. Re: PDF Presets vanished - help!
                    Philms Level 1

No sooner did I say that - it's corrupted again. As soon as I went back into an indesign file (that I already had open at last time of posting 2 minutes ago), the original presets vanished again, to be replaced (again) by the Blurb one. What the hell do I have to do here?

Adobe - I paid a lot of money for CS6 - where is your support?