7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 1:18 PM by joelg89928691

why does my imported footage get corrupted

joelg89928691

I'm working between Final Cut Pro X and After Effects CC on a Mac OS X system, recently upgraded to El Capitan.  I'm new to After Effects, so trying to work on my first clip of test footage.  I've tried exporting direct from Final Cut and dragging and dropping the QuickTime clip from another folder.  Whenever I get the clip into After Effects it seems to get corrupted.  About 10 seconds in the audio starts breaking up and then the visuals break down.  After Effects then stops the clip, heads back to the start and the clip keeps messing up however many times I play it.  I've looked back at the clip in QuickTime and Final Cut and it's fine, no problems.  I've tried a whole range of different FPS, have taken advice I found online about removing various problematic bits of software, have installed new graphics drivers, codecs etc but nothing alters the problem.  Any clues?

• 1. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

joelg89928691 wrote:

, have installed new graphics drivers, codecs etc but nothing alters the problem.

What codecs did you install? I've seen some codec packs render AE pretty inoperable.

• 2. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
            joelg89928691 Level 1

Hi Szalam

Thanks for getting back to me.  I think I've realised this is actually a problem with available RAM - I have 4 GB on my system with 2.5 allocated to Ae.  I'm going to upgrade but can't see if 8 GB on my system is recommended or 8GB allocated to Ae (so more RAM on the system overall.)  Looking back to answer your question I realised I haven't actually installed new codecs in the end - that was one thing I looked at doing but it seemed to be more a fix for exporting than my problem, which is I can't get more than a 10 second preview of my clips going.  What I have done is update to the latest graphics drivers from Nvidia (CUDA stuff), put in some ProVideo drivers I think they were called and then take out a codec (Apple DVCPROHDVideoOut) that was supposed to cause problems according to the Adobe help site.  None of that helped. 

Do you happen to know what I'll need RAM wise?  I have a quad core processor and was thinking of going up to 8GB RAM in total from 4 on my system.  Adobe site says I'll need 2GB RAM per core but what I can't see is whether I need that amount allocated to Ae in my memory preferences or if I just need 8GB on my system - ie whether I need to buy more RAM...

If you happen to know any clues on the other stuff mentioned above that I should be doing I'd be happy to hear that too

• 3. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's ideal to have 4GB of RAM for each core of processor you have. Going to 8 from 4 will make a pretty big difference, but if you can bump it to 16, do. RAM is relatively cheap now.

What version of AE are you working with? What do you mean by "the visuals break down"?

joelg89928691 wrote:

I can't get more than a 10 second preview of my clips going.

After Effects might not preview your whole composition/clip in one go because AE is not a NLE and it doesn't work like one. FAQ: Why does RAM preview only play part of my composition?

If you're new to AE, it'd be best if you went through some getting started materials first: Getting started with After Effects Getting a foundation in AE's basics will help you avoid a lot of frustration.

• 4. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
                joelg89928691 Level 1

Thanks Szalam

I'll have a look through some more getting started material.  My main question is, if I can't get a preview how can I start animating, editing effects etc?  I'm basically wanting to put some simple animated effects over basic video layers.  I'd assumed I'd be able to time this and keyframe it etc based on the preview view of the first layer.  Am I approaching it wrong?  Should I not be starting with previews?

I appreciate this might be covered in videos so will have a look and won't expect a massively detailed answer but if there's a basic, glaringly obvious pointer I'd need here that'd be awesome. 

• 5. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

One obvious thing -- make sure your version of AE is fully updated.  El Capitan only made AE CC 2015's long list of known issues a little longer.  It wouldn't hurt to have AE CC 2014 installed, either.  You can have both.

But the most obvious thing: you nead to trick your machine out with RAM.

• 6. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
                    joelg89928691 Level 1

Thanks Dave

I'll look into putting 2014 version in there too.  I have the latest version of Ae, just installed it 2 weeks ago via CC.  There's one thing I'm not quite following here, wonder if you guys can help me out; from the intro videos I've watched online everyone seems to work in layers, and I can't see how to begin animating etc without using preview.  I mean to be able to time your keyframing, place your animated objects etc I don't see how you can do that without watching the footage in the main layer and moving it around etc.  From following some links checking out what you guys are pointing me towards I seem to keep coming up against this idea that using the preview isn't ideal for watching back your clips as it only generates a preview until the cache is full.  Am I missing something?  Is there some other way, other than using preview, to see what's going on in your main layer so you can start animating over it?  If not I'm not sure how I can use the rest of the options in Ae. 

I am definitely going to kit out my mac with more RAM by the way, thanks for the advice on that...

• 7. Re: why does my imported footage get corrupted
                      joelg89928691 Level 1

PS - Szalam, by 'the visuals break down' I mean the green line stops after about 10 seconds and then keeps looping the first 10 seconds.  After that I get a fuzzy pixelated screen if I move the time cursor over beyond the green line.

PS - I've just tried the same process on my home Mac which has 8GB ram, 6 available for Ae and I'm getting exactly the same performance as my work computer which only has 2.5 GB RAM available out of 4 total.  Still 10 seconds and no more in preview even with 6GB available.  And I still don't know what else I can start doing if I can't watch the clip back to start adding other layers...?