9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 6:22 AM by rlr29711

GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro

rlr29711 Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how Premiere Pro utilizes my GPUs for playback. I currently have a Quadro 4000 and GTX 680 on my Windows machine. The Quadro is my primary card and the GTX 680 is used for CUDA compute in Resolve. Does Premiere utilize both cards for playback or does it only utilize the primary card? I'd obviously prefer to use the GTX but I require the Quadro for GUI in Resolve.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Premiere only uses 1 card for realtime playback unless something has changed that I have not seen. Multi GPU's are used for rendering/export. Resolve scales across more than 1 GPU for both.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
            rlr29711 Level 1

Hi Eric,

Thanks. If I'm understanding correctly, for render and export it will utilize both GPUs? I guess I'm referring to both render in the sequence and real-time playback in the timeline. I don't think anything changed but I wanted to get a better understanding of the way the software utilizes hardware. I'm considering upgrading my Quadro 4000 as it's not the greatest card.

Do you have any experience with either the 900 series GPUs or the Titans with Premiere and Resolve?

Best,

Randy

• 3. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro

Premiere only uses 1 GPU during realtime playback from the sequence. It will scale across GPU's when you render the timeline versus realtime and when you export. Yes we do deal with many client using the 980Ti or the Titan X card with both those applications. The 980Ti gives you the same Cuda cores, clock speed, and memory bandwidth performance as the Titan X card but with half the Vram. The Titan X is the best of all worlds. Premiere will not use the 12GB of vram currently but Davinci can use allot of it. Blackmagic recommends atleast 4GB of Vram for any 4K+ media workflows. You can use over 6GB as well depending on your workflow.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
                rlr29711 Level 1

Great thanks! It's funny that Premiere and Resolve utilize cards for the compute in different slots i.e. my main compute card for Premiere is Slot 1 while Resolve is Slot 2. It seems like there is no way around this unless I manually swap the cards before a color grade.

If I used a GTX 980 Ti and GTX 680 Classified in two slots with the Quadro in slot 1 would that mean I have 10 GB for compute or do the cards have to match for resolve? Also, for the GTX 980 Ti I was looking at EVGA cards - is there a big difference in performance between them or does it not really affect performance that much? It seems like just slightly better clockspeed.

Best,

Randy

• 5. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

adobe has announced they will be adding support for the 900 series cards to AE if you need it for ray-tracing.

you can open multiple instances of GPU-Z and set each one to your different video cards, then you can monitor the usage of the gpu's in premiere or any other program. others have done this and one reported back that premiere used both during playback and export. one person had a non matching video cards and the less powerful one held back the faster one. it seemed premiere tried to distribute the workload 50/50, and didn't consider one being alot slower. if this is happening with your quadro, you can try using the nvidia control panel, in the 3d program settings, to tell premiere to only use the gtx 680 for cuda.

i've read a forum post in the blackmagics forums for resolve using multiple gpu's, the impression i got was that adding another gpu gave a small boost to performance rather than doubling it. if you are using the free version of resolve, it can only use one gpu for compute. if that's your situation, upgrading the gtx 680 and disabling the quadro for premiere in the nvidia control panel may be the better option.

you could also look at getting a 10-bit blackmagic display/playback card to run a full screen preview monitor, to remove the need for a 10-bit quadro. i think all of their cards are compatible with premiere to use the same way. you may need to look closely at the spec's of the various models to make sure you get the right one for your current or future project needs. depending on your computer and how many cards you already have installed, you may or may not have enough system resources to three video cards or two video cards and a blackmagic i/o card.

• 6. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
                    rlr29711 Level 1

I'm using the full version of Resolve so I can utilize multiple GPUs. I tried using the nvidia control panel the other day and I changed that setting but it kept swapping from Global CUDA to my Quadro once I applied it to the GTX (strange I know). I'll look into it further. If I could tell Premiere to use my GTX that would be fantastic. I'd probably still add a 980 for 4K+ footage but I'd be able to keep my Quadro for 10-bit. The current monitor I use for color-critical work doesn't have HDMI so the playback card unfortunately doesn't work for me.

-Randy

• 7. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro

You have to go into the Nvidia control Panel and set the Cuda GPU to the 2nd card only for both Global and application settings. If you do that then it should work unless something changed with CC 2015. That is the only version I haven't checked that in myself. If you just change it in Global alone it hasn't worked.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
                        rlr29711 Level 1

Thanks. I tried that by going directly into the Program page. I'll give it a try.

Is enabling CUDA for Premiere essentially the same thing as having that card in Slot 1? If so, that solves a bunch of my concerns.

• 9. Re: GPU Utilization in Premiere Pro
                          rlr29711 Level 1

I was able to change the settings in my NVIDIA Control Panel.

In the program settings for Premiere I changed CUDA - GPUs to GTX 680 and I also changed my OpenGL rendering to the GTX. Should I not do the OpenGL to the GTX? Also, in the Global Settings I currently have the Base profile activated. Is there a better profile to have activated?

Thanks for the help!