3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2006 6:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

Limiting Bandwidth

JPBerrie
      Hi there, this is the first time I've ever posted here, so apologies for any mistakes...

My client wants me to develop an application that downloads several files from a server in the background - but they want to be able to manually set and/or modifiy the bandwidth (e.g. 50kb/s) to prevent network congestion. Does anyone know if this is possible using Lingo? And if not, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks very much,
      JP
        • 1. Re: Limiting Bandwidth
          Level 7
          JPBerrie wrote:
          > My client wants me to develop an application that downloads several
          > files from a server in the background - but they want to be able to
          > manually set and/or modifiy the bandwidth (e.g. 50kb/s) to prevent
          > network congestion. Does anyone know if this is possible using
          > Lingo? And if not, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

If the application is running on several computers at the same time, then
          no, because each instance of the app has no knowledge of the others and the
          bandwidth-limiting should be done at the server. I don't know what you'd use
          for that; maybe MS ISA Server or some sort of load balancer appliance, or
          have a proxy server at the edge of the network.

Is the app is going to be accessing the files across a LAN, WAN or the
          Internet, how much data, does it change often (i.e. could be cached on the
          client)?

Are you sure the bandwidth usage is going to be a problem?

Andrew

• 2. Re: Limiting Bandwidth
            JPBerrie Level 1
            Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your response.

I should have clarified that the client is concerned about the application hogging the host PC's bandwidth, not the server's; i.e. the PC is expected to download a large number of files from a server, but the user should be able to reduce the bandwidth allocated to the application should they find that all the bandwidth is getting used up. I was wondering if this was possible with Lingo?

Thanks again for your time,
            JP
            • 3. Re: Limiting Bandwidth
              Level 7
              JPBerrie wrote:
              > I should have clarified that the client is concerned about the
              > application hogging the host PC's bandwidth, not the server's; i.e.
              > the PC is expected to download a large number of files from a server,
              > but the user should be able to reduce the bandwidth allocated to the
              > application should they find that all the bandwidth is getting used
              > up. I was wondering if this was possible with Lingo?

You could time each download and wait between downloads if the user has
              indicated a desire for it to do so and set some limit, but I think you
              should do a test to see if there really is an issue.

The only granularity of download chunks you get without getting into
              more programming is the size of the files.

Programs will normally share the available bandwidth anyway. What
              bandwidth are you talking about? Gigabit Ethernet? Shockwave or
              projector?

Andrew