12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 6:53 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?

gman2014 Level 1

Hey Guys -

We are getting ready to do some upgrades to our computers here at our agency. We are an Adobe heavy firm and  jump from Premiere to After Effects to PhotoShop to Illustrator to Animate to Muse multiple times during the day. Video, graphic design, multimedia design, web design, multi track recording, etc.... we do a lot of different work from our computers.

I have been PC based most of my career. But have also been plagued with computers not being fast enough, freezing, shutting down, etc. and that REALLY hurts our workflow efficiency.

Looking at what's available today, I wanted to see what some of you would recommend for the heavy heavy work loads that we do.

My computers have always been the most ram and processors that we could afford for PC-based systems but they never seem to be good enough or last long enough.... so that's why I'm considering the MAC side....

So colleagues, I need your thoughts

• 2. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
          cc_merchant Level 4

If you have the extra budget, around +40% or more in comparison to similar PC, and you have the patience for Apple to iron out the OS problems that they introduce with each update, go for Apple. Otherwise stay with PC. What is the budget per station? 2, 5, 15K or more?

• 3. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
            BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I see a lot of Apple problems on this forum, more than I'll bet their percentage of users is.  I also think you have better choices for high end computers in PCs, and you should build or have them built.  I started on Macs years ago, and am typing this on an iPad,  but I do serious work on a PC I built myself.    For laptops and tablets Macs rule in terms of appearance and UI.  But for specialized high horse power applications I would never even consider them.  Ever.  Ever. 

• 4. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

My computers have always been the most ram and processors that we could afford for PC-based systems but they never seem to be good enough or last long enough.... so that's why I'm considering the MAC side....

I'm not sure that makes any sense.  You'll definitely get more performance for the same money going with a Windows machine than you will with a Mac.  This has long been the case.  So whatever the budget is, spending the same money on a Mac will get you less, not more.

• 5. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                gman2014 Level 1

Wow, I'm a little surprised by the overwhelming PC support... at Adobe Max, all the rooms where stocked with MACs... But Adobe is more PC friendly?

My current system is a PC:

• AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
                • 32 GB of RAM
                • Windows 10 64bit
                • Video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Why does it suck so bad? Is it my video card isn't highend enough? Looking at the links that John sent, the ram and process look to be good..but I realize if your display doesn't work, everything can seem worse than it is. If I can just upgrade the video card that would save some money for sure. I really want to get two new systems for the agency to help increase workflow efficiency.

I don't have 15K for a system...I'm not Pixar..... which I did though... But I'm thinking maybe 4K at the most?

• 6. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not understand the technical DETAILS, but I have read that the AMD processor does not have (or does not use the same way) some "firmware" commands that are in Intel processors, so an AMD is always going to be slower than an Intel when using Premiere Pro

You do not mention your disk drives, so that may also be a reason for slow operation... you need AT LEAST two drives, and more are better

My computer i7-4930k see reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849

• 7. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

But Adobe is more PC friendly?

My highly subjective impression is that there is a Mac-centric individual heading up the Premiere Pro team (hence the slow transformation of Adobe Premiere Pro into Adobe Final Cut these past few iterations).  Despite that, spending some time in the forums does impart the impression that the software just plain works better under Windows than on a Mac.  Not that there aren't plenty of folks using just fine with a Mac, but that there does seem to be far more oddball issues with Macs than with Windows.

Having said that, I will quality it by saying that applies only when you're using a:

1. Properly configured

2. Self-built

3. Windows machine

4. Dedicated to editing.

Under item 1, you definitely want Intel and nVidia here.  Skip AMD completely.  For item 3, use only Windows 7 or 8, skip Windows 10.

And definitely apply item 4.  Install only the software you need for editing.  Use a second machine for other activities.

• 8. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                      gman2014 Level 1

How does that configuration work for you? Price wasn't too bad but how is the performance?

I wanna see a kick-tail machine when I'm done... not as good as Disney of course but better than the fella down the street

• 9. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                        R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When m.2 connections & better start appearing 'on the street' this winter, then the multi-disc needs to run efficiently on current gear won't be a big deal anymore. Until you can run m.2 connected drives, however ... as is pointed out on the Tweaker's Page ( http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page ): using a planned process to split various disc-intensive chores out is often the biggest speed-gain one can do. Past the OS disc, at least three if not four discs ... project files; cache & database files; preview files; media files. Different people arrange things a bit differently, but the idea is to avoid the choking within the system that occurs when you've got a disc that's got more in/out demand on it than it can do for real-time playback.

So often people come on here wanting to know if their GPU or CPU or RAM is why they're getting such sucky performance ... and they've got at most two discs involved. One an external USB disc! Well, there ya go ... hopping up the CPU, RAM, or GPU ain't gonna help at all not no way not no how. It's balancing out your "parts" that counts. And being careful about how it's all used also. As J. Simon will preach upon ...

Neil

• 10. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, some of the components I bought then are no longer available, but equivalent or better are certainly available

CPU temp at rest 32-37C, while running Encore 50-55C (did not monitor temp while exporting from PPro)

Both PPro tests started with the same 2hour 38minute HD video file, to create an SD AVI file for Encore

-NO special effects, only a few "stock" transitions between scenes

-test PPro 5.5 HD video to SD DV AVI took 36 minutes to export 35Gig AVI

-test PPro CS6 took 34 Minutes AND used "Scale to Fill" to eliminate black bars!

-test Encore 5.1 to create ISO took 22 minutes

-test Encore CS6 64bit to create ISO took 17 minutes

• 11. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the Hardware forum.

Thanks,
                            Kevin

• 12. Re: Upgrading agency computers... Mac or PC? Which model?
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi RPA,

Wow, I'm a little surprised by the overwhelming PC support... at Adobe Max, all the rooms where stocked with MACs... But Adobe is more PC friendly?

We develop for both Mac and PC. There are both Mac and PC folks on these forums. Both CC Merch and JS are big WIN hardware guys. They find that PC is more stable as they have more control over installed components. Also a much better value. Tons of experience that gives them positive results. They both really know their stuff. They both have plenty to say about how much they do not care for Mac and QuickTime is, so just be aware of that (and to be fair, they do have some good points). I love these guys for their great info, so I hope they don't take offense.

That said, we have our Apple folks here too. I am a pretty big Apple guy as I have Macs and have done some long term contracts with them. I was also a pretty well known figure in the FCP community prior to coming to Adobe. I have smoothly running Mac systems that I really enjoy with Premiere Pro. My MacBook Pro is totally solid.

I find that most issues on the Mac side are due to user carelessness, like, moving to new versions of OS X too quickly or doing foolish things like updating Adobe software mid-project. For Windows folks, this looks pretty bad. To me, I know that Mac OS X is fine. You just have to beware of certain pitfalls. Many of those exist on the PC side too.

Why does it suck so bad? Is it my video card isn't highend enough? Looking at the links that John sent, the ram and process look to be good..but I realize if your display doesn't work, everything can seem worse than it is. If I can just upgrade the video card that would save some money for sure. I really want to get two new systems for the agency to help increase workflow efficiency.

We do see some reports that AMD processors do have issues, but your mileage may vary.

Best of luck,

Kevin