7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 5:24 PM by Nancy426

Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive

Nancy426 Level 1

I have several hard drives with photos on them.  Lightroom 5.7 has gotten confused regarding the hard drives.  I just filled a hard drive and started a new one so I have had reason to try to work on images on one hard drive, disconnecting it and connecting the other to work on images on that drive. Lightroom has had trouble with this.  I have a master file on each hard drive..on one I have "My pictures go here 2" and on the newest "my pictures go here 3"   Lightroom has been working fine with the My pictures 2 hard drive until today.  It is not reading the subfolders under "my pcitures go here 2" nor is it even showing the subfolders with a question mark.   I have looked at the hard drives through the Windows control panel and the folder and subfolders are there so the problem appears to be Lightroom reading the folders.  Please help me try to figure this out.  It is also important for me to go between folders since I have recent ones images that I want to work with on each drive.  Thank you

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Nancy,

Greetings!!!

I am not sure that whether I get everything here.

Where exactly your catalog is present  and where are the images ?

What is the operating system ?

Regards

Jitendra

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
            Nancy426 Level 1

It is confusing.  I have one catalog and that resides on my C:drive on my computer.  I am using external hard drives to store my images imported from my camera.  My operating system is Windows 8.  When one or more of my external hard drives is connected I can see each of them listed clearly in the control panel in Windows..one being 'My ultra passport (newest drive) and "Toshiba"  Today I wanted to edit and print images with some on the passport and some on the Toshiba.  They are also in collections in Lightroom.  I have been using the Toshiba external hard drive without any trouble in the last year.  It is almost full..has a folder entitled "My pictures go here 2" and numerous subfolders organized by date and identifying title.  I have had times when that list showed up in the right column of Lightroom as missing folders and was able to reconnect them.  The problem today is that I was trying to use images from both external drives (at different times).  Lightroom apparently got confused.  I was able to have the external hard drive "Toshiba" show up as "E" but initially neither the main folder "my pictures go here 2" or any of the subfolders were showing at all.  Finally "my pictures go here 2" showed up without any of the subfolders.  Linking missing folders brought out a few odd pictures but none of the subfolders.  I looked at that drive under the control panel and all of the those subfolders are there.  So it is not the drive.

I'm not sure what to do to get the drive, folder and subfolders to show up.

Ideas??  Also..I am not that computer savvy so might get confused with something complex.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Did you read my reply in the other thread?

The only way you can fix this is by assigning drive letters to your drives that will stick (which means using letters close to the end of the alphabet) even if you disconnect them. This is not very hard to do, and I described how to do it in the other thread.

You should then mark the drives (physically) with a label with the drive letter, connect one at a time, and direct Lightoom to it.

Since you have a parent folder on each drive, right click this folder in LR, choose Update Folder Location, and point LR to the correct folder.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
                Nancy426 Level 1

I'm not sure you read my note carefully.  The drive name is being read...i.e e drive says "toshiba" which is the name of the drive.  Neither the main folder "my pictures go here 2" or any of its subfolders show at all.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nancy426 wrote:

The problem today is that I was trying to use images from both external drives (at different times).  Lightroom apparently got confused.  I was able to have the external hard drive "Toshiba" show up as "E" but initially neither the main folder "my pictures go here 2" or any of the subfolders were showing at all.

This has already been explained here and in your other post concerning the same issue. When an external hard USB drive is plugged in Windows assigns the "next available drive letter" and in your case it is E:. If you then plug in a 2nd external hard drive it will be assigned "next available drive letter," which is F:. If you then unplug both external drives and at a later date plug in the 2nd drive it will be assigned the "next available drive letter," which now is the letter E: and not F:. Worst yet if you plug in ANY USB mass storage device such as a thumb drive, phone, card reader, etc. then drive letter E: is no longer available when you plug in the first drive that was assigned the letter E:.

To prevent this from happening you must assign static drive letters to both external hard drives.

How to Assign a Static Drive Letter to a USB Drive in Windows 7

Next "reconnect" to the new drive letters from inside LR as

You will now have to right click the folders in Lightroom that it considers missing, and point to the new location.

Some tips on how to do that can be found here http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/lightroom-thinks-photos-missing-fix/

and here Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 not reading my external harddrive
                    Nancy426 Level 1

Thank you, I will try that.