7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 9:23 AM by A.T. Romano

pixelating picture when playing timeline

erikh28251969

the pictures are fine when downloaded on time line but when I play the time line they pixelate. tried rendering and didn't help. the pictures are coming from adobe photoshop and using premiere elements 12. it worked fine with my old camera . does it have to do with more pixel camera my new on has 20 the old was12 I think

• 1. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

erikh

Please report the pixel dimensions of your photos (width and height in pixels). Photoshop or Premiere Elements Properties can give you this type of information.

We need determine if the project settings are being set properly for your Premiere Elements project.

What type of files are you putting into this particular project - just photos or photos and videos. If videos, what is the video format including frame size and frame rate?

What type of editing of the photos are you doing in Photoshop before you import the photos into the Premiere Elements project?

Let us start here. Then based on the details in your reply, I will suggest a workflow to resolve your issues in Premiere Elements.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
            erikh28251969 Level 1

I am just using pictures mostly cropping color adj . no layers when its on the time line view its fine but when I play it the picture smudges a bit ( for lack of a better word ) but when I hit pause the picture goes back to normal

• 3. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

erikh

Thanks for the follow up.

The information that would probably be the most useful right now for the troubleshooting is

1. what are the pixel dimensions of those photos

and

2. what project settings are being set

To get at that information

1. Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace and import your photos into the project - Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

2. When the photo gets in Project Assets, please right click its thumbnail there, select Properties, and tell us what you see listed for frame size. Close out of there.

3. Then go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, and tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. Some of those fields may look grayed out, but tell us those 4 readings any way.

With that above requested information, I can suggest the project preset which we can set manually instead of letting the project set it automatically. And, often the DSLR settings give better photo clarity end results than others. Also, there are some previewing setting that we can adjust. So, lots to do based on the details in your next reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
                erikh28251969 Level 1

ok project assets have the image size @ 4941 by 3114 then settings have editing mode HD 1080i Timebase is 29.97 frames/second Frame size is 1920 by 1080 and Pixel Ratio is set on square Pixels (1.0) . hope this helps you out and thanks for helping me cuz I'm at wits end

• 5. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

erikh

Thank you for the information which we can use in the troubleshooting.

Please do a mini test to verify that the following is going to work for you.

Video is 4:3 or 16:9 frame aspect ratio. Your photos are more like 3:2 which would be for prints.

And, the pixel dimensions of 4941 x 3114 are oversized for the project setting 1920 x 1080.

In Photoshop, take a few of these photos and use the Crop Tool to crop resize them to 1920 x 1080 16:9 pixels.

Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to its Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings, using the following instructions

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                  • Back in the Expert workspace, import your 1920 x 1080 photos into the project using Add Media/Files and Folders/Projects Assets.

From Project Assets drag the photos to the Timeline Video Track 1. Timeline render the content by

a. hitting the Render button above the Timeline

or

b. Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

or

c. hitting the Enter key of the computer main keyboard

What does the preview look like in the Edit area monitor playback?

To determine if you can get even better....

a. right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Settings and the Highest instead of Automatic.

and also

b. go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that Timeline Rendering Quality is set at High quality, Slow speed.

Next do a mini export of that Timeline content to determine if the preview and export quality are the same.

We will be watching for your results to finalize the details of the real workflow.

Any question about the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
                    erikh28251969 Level 1

thank you so much it worked . when played it looks as good as the original pics looked and exported also, thanks again

• 7. Re: pixelating picture when playing timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

erikh

Very great news.

You wrote

when played it looks as good as the original pics looked and exported also

Well done to gone your success.

Best wishes

ATR