5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 12:00 AM by SunnyRay

Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)

whathehangojango Level 1

Hello there,

I'm trying to export my first ePub, consisting of a simple document with audio triggered by button action. The audio frames are small (2x2px) so as to make the skin not appear automatically in readers such as iBooks (i.e. hidden audio). I've got the latest version of CC 2015 installed & a new operating system also.

While my exported ePub (fixed layout) works fine in Readium on the desktop, when I open it in a reading app on the iPad (iBooks, Gitden Reader, Kobo or Lektz), none of these have sound.

The only discussions I've come across concerning audio on iPad are linked below - and I must say, they don't bode well, since most don't have responses, let alone answers:

audio won't play on iPad without a visible button?

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7318166#7318166

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6727722#6727722

I hope this question won't also be left hanging. If FXL ePubs out of InDesign simply won't work on iOS (re audio), could someone please tell me straight. I know there can be issues with 'punitive and arbitrary behaviour' amongst certain OS suppliers.

Have others published fixed layout ePubs with audio that works on iPads? Was the audio frame tiny so as to be hidden (or hidden via stacking, if that's possible - I haven't tried it yet)?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)
          SunnyRay

I am also having trouble with needing to customise the play button for the audio on a single page.

I can't seem to be able to export audio with custom buttons for an ePub fixed layout.

I have tried the 'Poster images' feature of buttons etc and attempted the overlays panel but it hasn't produced working results through iBooks or it's 'ePub Interactivity Preview'. Someone else has had issues with the available hidden feature as well (InDesign Sound File Poster).

I have managed to solve my issue for an *interactive pdf* (noting this very helpful forumRe: One button to start/stop mp3 in pdf, but playback toolbar getting in way]). But I wish it to be an ePub. And this solution won't export into a fixed ePub *that will work* on an iPad/through iBooks.

I've seen a 'success' within a Lynda tutorial by Nigel French from the series 'Designing a Digital Magazine' under the title 'Adding Audio'.
          However this was for DPS. I'm not sure I want to 'change' my iBook into an app for the sake of one audio play button.

I've been through a lot of great Lynda.com (full, relevant, or and/or related) tutorials (from Anne-Marie Concepción, Nigel French, David Blatner, Mike Rankin, Keith Gilbert, and Bob Levine, plus a few on their recommended reading lists) and I've sifted through search results from google and duck-duck-go. And I've been through number of related answered and unanswered (yet?) Adobe forums as well.

Are all the default controls (in an ePub) that action anything important ... tied to the overriding formatting of each device's browser preferences? Do I need to work a CSS file to override this issue? I ask because the 'ePub interactivity preview' has the default sound bar displaying as black, but when tested on the ios devices it displays in a light grey with differing sizing/formatting.

I'm watching this: Placing Audio in fixed Layout Epub Indesign, for iBooks.
          Similar: Indesign CS6 Interactive PDF not playable on Ipads... | Interactive publication for ipad with animation

Not sure but thinking a solution might be related to: FW epub buttons triggers iBooks chrome - how to suppress? (from Adobe forum FW epub buttons triggers iBooks chrome - how to suppress?) AND *** How to add audio to fixed layout epub *** ??

But I'm not an expert, just persistent.

I've noticed your posts in other questions as well whathehangojango, BTW. And I hope this might pick somebody’s freethinking ideas or be quickly answered with a link to another answered forum/resource either of us might have missed.

SunnyRay

Don't bang your head into a rock - rock your creativity into action instead. ;p

• 2. Re: Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)
            Pickory Level 3

Hello,

If you are up for a bit of hand coding, I have a simple audio ePub here that you can crack open.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99173484/Baker/Audio.epub

It consist of a start / stop button, works on an iPad Air.

P.

• 3. Re: Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)
              SunnyRay Level 1

Thanks a stack Pickory!

I'll have a decent look-in real soon and respond after!

Getting the right result is usually* worth the extra (unpaid) hours of determination, especially if I can control the results better... and improve.

(*Balanced on the idea that when necessary, some compromises are good to prioritise things actually existing).

*Takes a breath before the plunge*

Ta,

SunnyRay

Don't bang your head into a rock - rock your creativity into action instead. ;p

• 4. Re: Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)
                whathehangojango Level 1

Yes, thanks Pickory. I'll take a look when back online in a week or so (am not near my machine ATM).

I'll also check out some of SunnyRay's info then.

BTW, anyone adding audio for iBooks should refer to the iBooks Asset Guide. I'm only referring to version 5.1 (need to sign up to iTunes Connect for later version) and it said to use stereo AAC/mp4 at 256kbps. I had followed this but formatted the audio in Adobe Soundbooth. This didn't work even in Readium so after reading some other threads, I ran the files through Adobe Encoder (to the same format) and then they worked in Readium but not iBooks (which brought me to the point of the first post above).

I haven't tried formatting that audio through iTunes, as suggested in the iBooks Asset Guide. I didn't think that the software used to encode an audio file would make a difference but clearly it already has in my experience so I'll give that a go when I'm back later.

• 5. Re: Audio not working in iBooks & other iOS apps (FXL)
                  SunnyRay Level 1

Hi Pickory,

I cracked your demo open and played around with it.

Thankyou! It was fantastic and I managed to slim it down to exactly what I need.

I've never posted on a forum to ask for help online before, so thankyou for the quick and helpful response!

---

I came across a glitch that I accidentally made (on just one of the buttons), and here's how to avoid/correct it:

Problem: The button area for clicking didn't fully cover the image src (which I placed in indesign and then hand-coded afterwards).

Problem solving: Upon further investigation in my inDesign file, I see that a transparent part of another image half covers my button.

Both solutions work:
                  1. To just avoid the issue, make sure that the image placed in inDesign is at the front of everything else near-by [Object>Arrange>Bring To Front].
                  You can also move all/the buttons to a separate layer that is of course on top - I went back and tested it, and yes it worked.

[If you're wondering, this was done after reflecting on a passing comment made in one of the lynda tutorials about how inDesign forces all the active buttons (made in inDesign) to the top layer. So I assume this is a necessity for functioning buttons].

2. If you find you have this problem late in the piece and the idea of rexporting inDesign and then recoding the epub daunts you, then in the .xhtml file you can move the <div></div> of the image (now also button) and all the button-related scripting that's in it to the very bottom of the xhtml file -> right before the closing </body> tag. This forces it up above everything else I assume.

---

Thanks for the help again, I hope my reply gives a little back (to anyone).

SunnyRay

Don't bang your head into a rock - rock your creativity into action.