23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 6:17 AM by jonasdr

Unit preferences keep changing.

jonasdr Level 1

Something is bugging me.
      I'm a designer working in Europe and I work with the default units in millimeters (that is the VERY first thing I do in the preferences pane after I have installed InDesign, with no documents open, so this should be set for life).

However, I often work with files provided by a US provider and this sets my Preferences to Inch. Not only for that document but it actually changes it for all next (even those made by myself set in millimeters) and new documents.
      Why is this and why does InDesign not remember that I have my preferences set to millimeters when opening a document that was made under the Inches setting? Am I missing something? Or is it a bug?

• 1. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suspect some sort of configuration issue on your system. but what version of InDesign and OS? Ruler units should be document-specific, with your defaults preserved for new files.

• 2. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
            jonasdr Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using CC2015 and am working on Mac OS Yosemite.
            My collegues here ath the office experience the same issues. We all hace CC2015 and working on Yosemite. My boss however has OS El Capitan and he too is having the issue.

• 3. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
              Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

The problem is that unit of measure is set per document; not application.

You might try pressing Cmd Opt Shift U (3 times to advance from Inches to Decimal Inches to Millimeters to Centimeters).

Or maybe a script would help faster:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/indesign/sdk/WorkingWithDocumentsJS.pdf

The script you need is shown on page 12 of this older javascripting PDF.

• 4. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

Could be a conflict with a utility you run, or with a Chrome browser plugin (lots of reports of trouble with those), or something else. This particular problem has not been widely reported here, which puts the bias on a local sytsem problem rater than an InDesign program issue.

Try starting your Mac with the shift key down to prevent loading of startup programs, then switch between files that has caused this previously and see if it continues.

• 5. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

Michael, the OP is reporting, as I read it, that his own default is changing after opening a file with a different setting. That shouldn't happen. While you can't do anything about what someone else has previously set for a saved doc other than change it manually, it shouldn't change other existing or new files.

• 6. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                    Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

You make a good point Peter. I suppose the OP could run a repair permissions utility for good measure. At any rate, a script (and I adore scripts) would fix him up and let him move on. A script could be assigned a shortcut, too, speeding up the solution even more.

• 7. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

why does InDesign not remember that I have my preferences set to millimeters when opening a document

Do you run any scripts in your workflow? It's common for scripts that construct objects or documents to change units. A good script will save the starting units and switch back when the script is finished, but not everyone follows that convention.

• 8. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                        jonasdr Level 1

If it is set per document and not per application, then i am missing the point of 'unit preferences' in the preferences pane. A preference is how you would like your program to function, not your document. If that were the case, they should have a pop-up when opening the file, asking to change the document from inch to mm after it detects that your preferences are different from the document settings (like you have with color profiles). :-)

• 9. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                          jonasdr Level 1

I am not very technical. I prefer not to run any scripts for something that, to me, should not be fixed by scripting. Knowing myself, if I dig into things like scripts, things go sour:-)
                          This is a flaw in the software, should be an easy fix for Adobe. We pay enough money to have software functional, so it is up to Adobe to have things run smoothly.

• 10. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

A preference is how you would like your program to function, not your document.

There are a number of preferences that work on both document and application levels. In the case of units I might work for both screen and print and in that case I want my screen document units to be pixels and my print doc units to be something like inches or millimeters without constantly changing the rulers—there might even be cases where I have both docs open at the same time.

Color settings also have to be a document level preference, and the option to ask for a warning is needed because without a lot of experience the differences in the display of profiled color would not be obvious and the profile could affect final output. Most users would not be able to see the difference between US SWOP Coated CMYK color and Coated GRAcol without a side-by-side comparison.

A similar warning for units isn't needed because the current unit settings are obvious in the interface, and a change in units wouldn't affect output.

• 11. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                              jonasdr Level 1

Rob,

If I go to 'InDesign preferences', then these are (in my mind and the minds of many many others) the preferences for the software, not a document.

If units are document based, their preferences should not be within 'InDesign Preferences'. That's pure logic.

I agree that units have no influence on output but it is just a practical issue. One that is very annoying when you have to re-set to mm each time you get a US document. In a high-speed graphic agency where short deadlines are crucial, the last thing you want to do is put time in changing your preferences constantly. The whole point of preferences are so that you don't have to think about these things anymore, and so that you don't have to first scan your interface for unwanted changed settings.

So no, it has no affect on output but on work-efficiency, and that is not to be neglected neither.
                              It is also not a massive problem, just an annoying thing that I just think they can do better... A warning of units could then help to remind you that settings have been changed instead of finding out along the way. But I do think it is a nice thing to have AdobeCC say something like: "the document you are trying to open has different units than your preferences, do you want to keep them? yes/no" It's just a simpler more user-friendly approach.

But hey, that's just me:-)

• 12. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

If units are document based, their preferences should not be within 'InDesign Preferences'.

You don't have to go to preferences, just control or right click the rulers.

In a high-speed graphic agency where short deadlines are crucial, the last thing you want to do is put time in changing your preferences constantly.

And you don't use scripts?

• 13. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                                  jonasdr Level 1

does not take away the fact that units prefs do not belong in the overall InDesign prefs, when in fact they are not a general preference... :-) When something is in the general prefs of how you want your software to work, then it should always follow those preferences.
                                  Yes, you can use shortcuts etc, but that completely misses the point of having it set in your preferences. Don't understand why this is so hard to get.

Even Adobe speaks of set 'default measurements'...

When i have set them in my preferences, then that is what InDesign should do: respect the set defaults in the preferences. It is as simple as that.

About scripting:
                                  No, because the work we do rarely requires scripts. We do not always do the same type of jobs that would require them or that can be automated over mutiple documents, so no point also in writing something out. Actions: yes. Styles: yes. Data merge: yes.

But just do not ask me to do coding:-) This is also not taught in art school (al least not in my day; graduated in 2001), and to be honest they scare me because I just do not get them. And it takes me more time figuring out how to implement them than to go about it another way.
                                  Michael posted something about them in this thread, had a look at it and still missing the point of most of them (and zoned out after 2 pages because it's like reading chinese for me.. lol)

For example: why use a script to open a document or to save it, when it's simpler to use cmd+n (and then in the window fill in the fields), cmd+s? And if I need the same lay-out-set for another project, I just duplicate what I had, re-link images and re-flow text. Easy as that. No script needed.
                                  Scripts, to me, just seem like a hassle.
                                  But I guess if you get how they work and how they can prove beneficial for your work, please use them. For the work that we do here, there is no point.
                                  There's no shame in not using scripts.

• 14. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

The prefs you set with no files open set defaults for all new files. For users who prefer to work in one measurement system it makes perfect sense to set the units in the prefs and forget them, then change an individual file if required.

I think you are running into a semantic issue here, and you might better understand the logic if you substitute the word Default for Preference.

• 15. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

When i have set them in my preferences, then that is what InDesign should do: respect the set defaults in the preferences. It is as simple as that.

So if I had two documents open one destined for print (inches) and the other destined for web (pixels)—you would expect me to open preferences and change the units every time I toggle between the two documents?

• 16. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                                        jonasdr Level 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a native Englisch speaker.

I'm talking about preferences. I know I have to set them with no files open:-)
                                        My issue was, and is, the change InDesign brings to your overall preferences (in my case: mm) when you open a document made with another unit setting.  From then on, all new documents I start are again in inches, and that clearly is not what you want or expect when your InDesign preferences were set to mm. Hence, everytime I close a doc that was made with unit set in inches, I have to re-adjust my preferences to mm again.
                                        That was the only thing I wanted to state, and to ask if this is a bug or not, because that did not seem right to me.

• 17. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

No, that should not happen. I think we've seen one other similar report, and I don't know if it's a bug in CC2015 or a problem with individual system configurations, but I suspect the latter since there are not dozens of similar reports, which generally happens with bugs.

• 18. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

From then on, all new documents I start are again in inches,

That is not normal behavior. Your application preference (the preference set with no documents open) determines the units for new documents. It sounds like it's a problem with your ID installation. Have you tried trashing your preferences? Also do you run any third party plugins? That's the reason I asked about scripts— a script or plugin could change your preferences.

• 19. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                                              jonasdr Level 1

No Rob, that is not at all what I am saying...:-) I think there has been a mis-understanding here.

I presume you have your InDesign preferences set in inch.
                                              Let's say i send you a document made up in mm. You open it, close it, and then you look at your preferences again. Then they should still be set in 'inch', yes?

In my case, wich i am trying to explain, these would now be set to mm. And that seemed like a bug. That was the only thing i was adressing:-)

• 20. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                                                jonasdr Level 1

I have done a complete re-install of the software last week, not migrating any older preference settings.
                                                As far as I know I have no third-party plugins at this point.  My collegues do report the same glitch though.

I guess it is just something I will have to live with and keep in mind that everytime i receive a document made under a different unit measurement, i will have to re-set my preferences back to how I want them after closing it.

Sorry for the mis-communication (thought my English was better:-), and thank you for your help/advisements..

• 21. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

This kind of problem can be caused by third-party software you run -- background utilities or browser plugins (particularly in Chrome). What Rob is saying about scripts is that some scripts (poorly written, in my opinion) will set the units, but fail to return them to the default after execution, though that doesn't sound like your issue.

• 22. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.

Let's say i send you a document made up in mm. You open it, close it, and then you look at your preferences again. Then they should still be set in 'inch', yes?

Yes, that's what happens in CC2014, which I use for production and I just checked CC2015 and it also works as expected. I would expect the document I made and set to millimeters to open as millimeters.

I have done a complete re-install of the software last week, not migrating any older preference settings.

A re-install wouldn't necessarily reset the preferences—so you should try trashing them.

• 23. Re: Unit preferences keep changing.
                                                      jonasdr Level 1

ok will try that, thank yoiu