5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 2:42 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....

bhphotographic

I do my editing on a macbook pro.. than move to a pc  . I am running adobe cloud on both machines so I assuming they are on the same updated programs...

When I open on my pc I receive this error (not all the time)

Thank you Dave

• 1. Re: Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Dave,

Greetings!!!

What is the version of Lightroomon both the machines ?

Please share the exact workflow.

Also try the same with a new catalog.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....
            dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....

This indicates the photo file is corrupted, and it is unlikely you will be able to use the photo at all. If you have a backup of the photo, you should restore the backup.

You might want to run diagnostics on your hard disk(s) to identify possible problems. The camera card might also be the culprit, it could be the file was not properly written to the camera card (although if you don't have the problem on the MacBook but do have the problem on the PC, that would seem to rule out the camera card)

• 3. Re: Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....
              annikl98449594

dj_paige, I am having a similar problem but only with images from my iPhone and only when I boot the backup catalog from the backup drive. My workflow is:

- download photos from DSLR cameras and iPhone on NYC iMac with photo catalog living on back-up G-Raid. All goes well.

- then I back-up the LR catalog and photo catalog from G-Raid to a LaCie drive and bring it to my weekend home. When I open the files there, I get the message "LR has encountered problems reading this photo" on just the iPhone images and videos; everything else transfers fine

- I fixed this a few weeks ago by making sure that all my drives were cleared for "read & write" permissions, and a large quantity of previously unviewable iPhone images were restored. But this weekend, the problem has emerged again. I've tried to export the IMG files to my desktop to view, but get the message  "File access was denied." I was able to view them on my machine in NYC, but somehow in the backup process they appear to have been corrupted. I've double-checked the permissions and I can't see any problems. Do you have any advice, or is this a question for Apple Support?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Annik

• 4. Re: Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....
                annikl98449594 Level 1

and an update: I've just tried to locate in finder and am getting the message "You do not have permission to open the document..." so this does appear to be a permissions issue. I never had this problem before using Aperture, but perhaps it was because as an Apple product it understood the permissions more intuitively. If there is a LR workaround for this I'd grateful to know it. Otherwise, I will try Apple Support.  Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo....
                  dj_paige Level 9

Permissions can indeed prevent Lightroom from operating properly. So, the advice is to change the permissions on the affected folders to WRITE permission.