9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 9:09 AM by dj_paige

Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?

NSB Beach Bum

I am having trouble with folders not showing the images that are supposedly in them. I am using the latest version of Lightroom CC.

If I try to import images to a specific folder I am told that they have already been imported. Yet, when I select the folder, I get the following message: No photos in selected Folder.

I am using Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

The images are on an external drive. I have no trouble accessing and seeing images in other folders on that same drive.

What am I doing wrong with these folders?

• 1. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn on viewing images in subfolders:  LR / Library / Library / Show Photos in Subfolders

Turn off any filters:  LR / Library / backslash ( \ ) / Filters off (at the top right)

• 2. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
            dj_paige Level 9

NSB Beach Bum wrote:

I am having trouble with folders not showing the images that are supposedly in them. I am using the latest version of Lightroom CC.

If I try to import images to a specific folder I am told that they have already been imported. Yet, when I select the folder, I get the following message: No photos in selected Folder.

I am using Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

The images are on an external drive. I have no trouble accessing and seeing images in other folders on that same drive.

What am I doing wrong with these folders?

If Lightroom is telling you that the images have already been imported, then they have already been imported.

Most likely, when you did the import, you selected COPY instead of ADD, and so your operating system is showing you the original location of the photos, while Lightroom is accessing a copy in a different folder.

In this situation, you cannot fix the problem by importing the photos again, nor can you synchronize the folder to correct this problem.

You have to find the photos in Lightroom (click on "All Photographs" and then use the Filter Bar to search for one of these photos by File Name). When you find the photos, you can access them in the folder Lightroom thinks they are in, or you can assign keywords and other metdata to help you find the photos, or if neither of those is acceptable, you can tell Lightroom to use the photos in their original location using the Update Folder Location command, using these instructions (scroll down to the section entitled "Updating Folder Location") Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 3. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
              NSB Beach Bum Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Images are still not showing up.

I searched my entire computer, all 8TB. The only place these images are located are in the folders as they appear in LR.That is not to say the images appear in the folders, just the folders appear. In all I have 36 subfolders within my main folder for this project. A few of the images are showing in 3 of the folders. Two of the folders reveal all the images that are supposed to be there. One folder only reveals one image out of the 9 that are supposed to be in the folder.

I am going to uninstall Lightroom and re-install it. then try to open the same catalog.

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reinstalling LR isn't going to change anything and using the same catalog also isn't going to change anything.  Select the All Photographs collection in LR, turn on Filters that I mentioned, above, click Text as the filter type and type in the base filename of one of the photos you can't see in the folder in LR.

• 6. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
                  NSB Beach Bum Level 1

I did that to no avail.

Lightroom is almost re-installed. When it is I'll try it again.

• 7. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
                    dj_paige Level 9

NSB Beach Bum wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Images are still not showing up.

Wording is extremely important here. Images are not showing up where? Please be extremely detailed in your answer, or show me a screen capture. Exactly what did you do to try to make them "show up"?

I searched my entire computer, all 8TB.

I assume this means you used the operating system's search feature to do the search. Is that correct?

The only place these images are located are in the folders as they appear in LR. That is not to say the images appear in the folders, just the folders appear.

I'm not clear on what this means at all. Please show me relevant screen captures.

I am going to uninstall Lightroom and re-install it. then try to open the same catalog.

A total waste of time. Uninstalling/reinstalling will not fix catalog problems.

• 8. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
                      NSB Beach Bum Level 1

Okay,

The folders show up under Folders in the LR Library module. Along side the folder name is a 0, that's a zero.

If I go to that same folder on my hard drive, it contains the images that are supposed to be there.

If I synchronize the folder in LR, it quickly goes through the import process. I see dark versions the images that are supposed to be in the folder flash on the screen for an instant and then disappear. Just like when you try to import files that have already been imported. The zero remains beside the folder name and no images appear when the folder is selected. And, the No photos in selected Folder message appears on the screen.

If I Update the Folder Location, I follow the path on my computer to the desired folder, select that folder, and nothing changes.

If I try to Import to the folder the No photos or videos to be Imported pops up and nothing happens.

If I go to my Computer>X Drive>appropriate folder the images appear, both CR2 and JPG.

I am going to create a new LR catalog for this project and try to import the images that I need to complete this job. I really do not have time to fight with Lightroom right now. I have been using LR since it was a beta version and I have never had anything trip me up to this degree.

Thanks for all your input. I really do appreciate it.

• 9. Re: Why are images not showing up in my Lightroom folders?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Creating a new catalog ... won't fix the problem, and you will lose any edits or user-provided metadata on these photos.

As stated earlier, importing and synchronizing WILL NOT fix this problem.

Please search for the photos in Lightroom, please identify one such photo by file name and then do a search equivalent to the one shown in the screen capture below. Click on All Photographs, click on Text, set the dropdown menu to "Filename" and "Contains" and then type in the file number. Show me a screen capture of the search when you try it.

Lightroom search.png