5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 3:14 PM by nathanyan

Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup

Joe__

Hi. I'm experiencing a colour management issue with ACR 9.2 in a dual monitor setup. The software appears to use the ICC profile of the monitor that is designated the "main display" in Windows, regardless of which of the two monitors I drag the ACR window to. Photoshop CC and Bridge CC both correctly use the ICC profile of whichever monitor their window is currently displayed on. My expectation is that ACR should exhibit the same behaviour. However, what I observe with ACR is that it *always* uses the ICC profile of the main/primary display regardless of which monitor the ACR window is actually displayed on. (The ICC profile of the main display corresponds to what Photoshop calls Monitor RGB.)

The result is that, while Photoshop and Bridge both display images in their correct colours on either monitor, ACR can only display correct colours on the primary display.

In my setup I have one wide gamut monitor and one normal gamut monitor. The normal gamut monitor is currently designated the primary display. I run colour-sensitive applications exclusively on the wide gamut monitor, the secondary display. Therefore a temporary "fix" to the problem is to simply make the wide gamut monitor the primary display. This fixes the ACR colour management problem but unfortunately it interferes with my workflow in many other ways, so it is not a long-term solution.

If anybody can shed some light on why this is happening (/what settings I may have missed) I would be very grateful!

----

System information:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Standard desktop: 12 GB RAM, quad core 3.7 GHz, etc.

Dual monitors, both calibrated with Colormunki Display

Photoshop version: CC 2015.0.1

Bridge version: CC 6.1.1.10 x64

Camera Raw version: 9.2

• 1. Re: Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a single-screen setup so can't test this, but out of curiosity - is the Photoshop main window on your primary (standard gamut), and ACR on the secondary (wide gamut) when you see this?

I have seen reports of ACR using the wrong monitor profile a couple of times, although those were all Mac. But it can happen. Can't recall what the solution was.

• 2. Re: Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup
            Joe__ Level 1

Hi, thank you for your reply. This problem presents whether Photoshop is open on the primary or secondary monitor.

For anyone else experiencing the same problem, here is a temporary workaround that works for me. Photoshop's Monitor RGB reflects the ICC profile of whichever monitor was designated the main display in Windows *at the moment Photoshop was launched*. Any subsequent reassignments of the main display are not detected by Photoshop until the application is relaunched. ACR (for me) is locked to the ICC profile of Photoshop's Monitor RGB. Thus, it is possible to force ACR to use the ICC profile of the secondary monitor as follows:

1. Close Photoshop.

2. In Windows, right click desktop > Display settings > Display tab (top). Or in Start menu search for "Display settings".Click the box 1 or 2 that represents your secondary monitor. Check "Make this my main display". Apply.

3. Open Photoshop. Monitor RGB should now reflect the ICC profile of your secondary monitor.

4. Repeat [2] but now undo the change you just made, making your primary monitor the main display once again.

5. Confirm that Photoshop's Monitor RGB is still set to the ICC profile of your secondary monitor.

6. Confirm that ACR now displays correct colours on your secondary monitor.

This workaround ensures correct colour management until Photoshop is closed.

• 3. Re: Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup
              nathanyan

+1. Experiencing the exact same symptons, and I do believe that this is a bug that has been introduced in some recent version of ACR. Did not happen previously.

• 4. Re: Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We've seen quite a few of these lately.

Yes, I smell a bug here, but as I said I can't test for myself. Try to swap main/secondary display in the OS.

• 5. Re: Adobe Camera Raw uses profile of Windows "main" monitor only in dual monitor setup
                  nathanyan Level 1

As Joe__ reported, it's about the designated primary monitor when Bridge/Photoshop start up, specifically. If I close the program, set the main monitor to the one I use ACR on, then the color profile used is consistent between the Bridge previews/Photoshop, and ACR.

For others running into the problem, a workaround I've found is simply to assign the color profile of my ACR monitor as the color profile on my main monitor as well. In my case my secondary ACR monitor is the calibrated one, and the main monitor is a larger but uncalibrated one. So now the colors on the main monitor are even more off than usual, but I care less about this because it's uncalibrated to begin with.