8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2006 8:25 AM by Newsgroup_User

Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?

Annoyed of Amsterdam
      I've just brought fireworks 8, but have found a bug when you re-size using CM as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually chooses 8.9cm.

So I went to the adobe site as this product is less than 2 weeks old for me, and I have NO METHOD OF GETTING A FIX.

Methods offered
      1) put it in the forum. (no point as not all items in the forum are fixed, and none of these are by adobe)
      2) Sign a support deal for support on a product that is less that 2 weeks old, and pay more money.

For me this is pathetic, this is NOT support.

If I had just brought a car and the wheels dropped off, I like to think that the garage that sold it to me would collect it and fix it, being a product that is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. When the fireworks car's wheels fall off, adobe force you to ask the other people on the street to give you a hand to push it home, or pay for the AA/RAC/AAA/ANVB to come and fix it.

No doubt this will be MODERATED out of the forum by the only adobe presence there, the one that removes any kind of issues from in front of the eye....

Thanks adobe for making me fell that I spent my $$$ welll on you.
        • 1. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
          Level 7
          Hi Annoyed of Amsterdam,

Your post has not been edited out yet and I doubt it will be.

I have nothing to do with Adobe now or Macromedia in the past.

I could not replicate your problem but am willing to try again if you
          provide all the steps you are taking from start to finish.

Do not forget though, that Fireworks is designed for web graphics NOT print,
          so the only measurement that really mean anything are pixels.

Fireworks is an outstanding programme but if it's used for a purpose it
          wasn't designed for you will be disappointed.

Peter
          CM
          | as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually
          chooses
          | 8.9cm.
          |
          | So I went to the adobe site as this product is less than 2 weeks old for
          me,
          | and I have NO METHOD OF GETTING A FIX.
          |
          | Methods offered
          | 1) put it in the forum. (no point as not all items in the forum are fixed,
          and
          | none of these are by adobe)
          | 2) Sign a support deal for support on a product that is less that 2 weeks
          old,
          | and pay more money.
          |
          | For me this is pathetic, this is NOT support.
          |
          | If I had just brought a car and the wheels dropped off, I like to think
          that
          | the garage that sold it to me would collect it and fix it, being a product
          that
          | is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. When the fireworks car's wheels fall off,
          adobe
          | force you to ask the other people on the street to give you a hand to push
          it
          | home, or pay for the AA/RAC/AAA/ANVB to come and fix it.
          |
          | No doubt this will be MODERATED out of the forum by the only adobe
          presence
          | there, the one that removes any kind of issues from in front of the
          eye....
          |
          |
          | Thanks adobe for making me fell that I spent my $$$ welll on you.
          |
          |

• 2. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
            Level 7
            I would like to find a garage that lets me take home any car I want for
            30 days.

;)

Annoyed of Amsterdam wrote:
            > I've just brought fireworks 8, but have found a bug when you re-size using CM
            > as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually chooses
            > 8.9cm.
            >
            > So I went to the adobe site as this product is less than 2 weeks old for me,
            > and I have NO METHOD OF GETTING A FIX.
            >
            > Methods offered
            > 1) put it in the forum. (no point as not all items in the forum are fixed, and
            > none of these are by adobe)
            > 2) Sign a support deal for support on a product that is less that 2 weeks old,
            > and pay more money.
            >
            > For me this is pathetic, this is NOT support.
            >
            > If I had just brought a car and the wheels dropped off, I like to think that
            > the garage that sold it to me would collect it and fix it, being a product that
            > is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. When the fireworks car's wheels fall off, adobe
            > force you to ask the other people on the street to give you a hand to push it
            > home, or pay for the AA/RAC/AAA/ANVB to come and fix it.
            >
            > No doubt this will be MODERATED out of the forum by the only adobe presence
            > there, the one that removes any kind of issues from in front of the eye....
            >
            >
            > Thanks adobe for making me fell that I spent my $$$ welll on you.
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
              Annoyed of Amsterdam Level 1
              Peter,

Thanks for replying. Apart from being disapointed with after sales service, I woul still like to find a fix.

My issue is that like CSS I wish to be able to deal in mm or cm for @page {size: 210mm 297mm} rendering of printable documentation. As fireworks comes with the Print Size options, resizing with CM should stay within the bounds of a web based screen project. But is does not, if I change the print width from 31cm to 21cm (A4 210mm X 297mm), it makes it more like 18.5cm wide on the print and on screen.

For me web a web graphics program specifically for the creation of web content, this is exactally the application I should be able to use for this task. But it does not perform as expected.

If there is some extra formula that I need to make the conversion that's cool. I just don't think that making numerios re-tries to get line of best fit is a good solution.

• 4. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
                Level 7
                > I've just brought fireworks 8, but have found a bug when you re-size using CM
                > as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually chooses
                > 8.9cm.

Why are you using centimeters as your measurement unit? You are aware
                that Fireworks is an application designed for the creation of screen
                based graphics and that the only measurement that matters to it is
                pixels right?

What kind of work did you buy Fireworks for exactly?

> If I had just brought a car and the wheels dropped off, I like to think that
                > the garage that sold it to me would collect it and fix it, being a product that
                > is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. When the fireworks car's wheels fall off, adobe
                > force you to ask the other people on the street to give you a hand to push it
                > home, or pay for the AA/RAC/AAA/ANVB to come and fix it.
                >
                > No doubt this will be MODERATED out of the forum by the only adobe presence
                > there, the one that removes any kind of issues from in front of the eye....

That has never happened to my knowledge on the Macromedia or Adobe
                forums. The only things that might be edited are swear words and other
                offensive language. You have used neither here so I doubt very much your
                post will be edited or removed. And btw, your car analogy is completely
                irrelevant. A bug in Fireworks is not a threat to your security.
                Furthermore, your issue seems more related to misuse of the app than to
                an actual bug so I repeat my question: what kind of work were you trying
                to perform with Fireworks. Your talk of A4 page size tells me that you
                may have tried to use for something it was not designed to do.

--
                Stéphane Bergeron
                reach : connect : communicate
                http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                http://www.pixelyzed.com
                • 5. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
                  Level 7
                  A garage lent me a car (VW Passat) for 4 days once, I liked the car, but was
                  more impressed that they had the confidence to lend it to me for such a long
                  time, I bought it :-)

Peter
                  | 30 days.
                  |
                  | ;)
                  |
                  | Annoyed of Amsterdam wrote:
                  | > I've just brought fireworks 8, but have found a bug when you re-size
                  using CM
                  | > as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually
                  chooses
                  | > 8.9cm.
                  | >
                  | > So I went to the adobe site as this product is less than 2 weeks old
                  for me,
                  | > and I have NO METHOD OF GETTING A FIX.
                  | >
                  | > Methods offered
                  | > 1) put it in the forum. (no point as not all items in the forum are
                  fixed, and
                  | > none of these are by adobe)
                  | > 2) Sign a support deal for support on a product that is less that 2
                  weeks old,
                  | > and pay more money.
                  | >
                  | > For me this is pathetic, this is NOT support.
                  | >
                  | > If I had just brought a car and the wheels dropped off, I like to think
                  that
                  | > the garage that sold it to me would collect it and fix it, being a
                  product that
                  | > is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. When the fireworks car's wheels fall off,
                  adobe
                  | > force you to ask the other people on the street to give you a hand to
                  push it
                  | > home, or pay for the AA/RAC/AAA/ANVB to come and fix it.
                  | >
                  | > No doubt this will be MODERATED out of the forum by the only adobe
                  presence
                  | > there, the one that removes any kind of issues from in front of the
                  eye....
                  | >
                  | >
                  | > Thanks adobe for making me fell that I spent my $$$ welll on you.
                  | >
                  | >

• 6. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
                    Level 7
                    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:05:37 +0300, Stéphane Bergeron
                    <news@webfocusdesign.com> wrote:

> That has never happened to my knowledge on the Macromedia or Adobe
                    > forums. The only things that might be edited are swear words and other
                    > offensive language.

Adobe forum bots also tended to remove anything that they consider
                    "advertising". At least it was so before I decided that I better find
                    different place for my advertisements :-) Anyway, in contrary to many
                    other forums where censor bots sometimes block messages for no good
                    reason, FW one never caused troubles posting for me.

--
                    Ilya Razmanov
                    http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                    • 7. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
                      Level 7
                      > Peter,
                      >
                      > Thanks for replying. Apart from being disapointed with after sales service, I
                      > woul still like to find a fix.
                      >
                      > My issue is that like CSS I wish to be able to deal in mm or cm for @page
                      > {size: 210mm 297mm} rendering of printable documentation. As fireworks comes
                      > with the Print Size options, resizing with CM should stay within the bounds of
                      > a web based screen project. But is does not, if I change the print width from
                      > 31cm to 21cm (A4 210mm X 297mm), it makes it more like 18.5cm wide on the print
                      > and on screen.

Peter,

Avoiding the whole 'Right - Wrong' application thing.

Firework's main screen is always going to display in Pixels. Start with
                      a 500x500 pixel canvas, it's always going to be 500x500 pixels. On your
                      screen, on anyones screen. Now, when you leave the screen and start
                      talking image print size, 500x500 px at 72 px/inch would be about 7in x
                      7in. When you change the print size, Fireworks maintains the 72 px/inch.
                      Which changes the number of pixels on the screen.

Anyway, to answer your problem. When you want to adjust the print size
                      and leave the pixel size alone, go to Modify\Canvas\Image Size. Un-check
                      the Resample Image button. That will alter the print size and leave the
                      screen (pixels) alone.

SKB
                      • 8. Re: Poor commitment to support / bug fixes?
                        Level 7

"Annoyed of Amsterdam" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> a écrit dans le
                        message de news: ejha0p$582$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > I've just brought fireworks 8, but have found a bug when you re-size using
                        > CM
                        > as the gage. Reduce a page from 31cm to 21cm (A4), and it actually
                        > chooses
                        > 8.9cm.

hello
                        when i want to quality print something designed with fireworks i copy paste
                        to freehand to print.
                        firewoks is definitively not printing dedicated.
                        regards
                        bretz