4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 8:22 AM by Eva Jaeger

Hyperlink Help

Eva Jaeger

Hi- I am new to inDesign (I have version cs5.5). I am trying to create a default hyperlink. But this character style is not available to me. See image:Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 3.18.12 PM.png

• 1. Re: Hyperlink Help
          Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

That's because you have a frame selected. You need to create a hyperlink from text in order to be able to apply a character style to it. What exactly do you mean by "default" hyperlink.

• 2. Re: Hyperlink Help
            Eva Jaeger Level 1

Oh yes that was the issue for being able to click on the styles drop down. Thanks for that!

Now that I can...I am still not able to select "hyperlink" default as an option (meaning it will make the text blue and underline it). I can only select character style [none].

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 3.58.10 PM.png

• 3. Re: Hyperlink Help
              Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

You're probably not using a recent version of InDesign CC I'm guessing. I forget which version added it, but the hyperlink character style is now created automatically when you create your first hyperlink. You'll need to create it manually. Go to the Character styles panel and option/alt + click on the Create New Character Style at the bottom of the panel. In the section on the left side of the Character Style Options dialog box, click on Basic Character Formats and then enable the underline option. Now click on the Character color category and choose the blue color you want to use for the hyperlink (you might want to create the swatch you want to use before creating the character style). Click OK. Now when you create your hyperlink, you'll have the character style available to apply to that hyperlink.

• 4. Re: Hyperlink Help
                Eva Jaeger Level 1

It worked! Thank you so much!