5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2015 11:07 AM by Jao vdL

Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.

knoxphotography

I don't pretend to be a computer expert. I have a new iMac 3.6ghz 4k which I'm attempting to get setup for use with Lightroom 5.7.

I have literally just installed LR5.7 and with my photo library moved to external hard drive attempting to import back into LR5.7. Obviously LR5.7 isn't recognizing my library which is one issue because they are disconnected from the original source (need a fix), and new imports from my Nikon D750 aren't showing either, just blank tiles (also need a fix).

Please, looking for proper install and setup instructions including necessary drivers and settings to make all my photos appear and I can get back to work

I appreciate all the help and if someone is willing to show me the way or a link to follow or anything, I'm stressed out to get everything running. Thank you in advance for the much needed assistance and apologies for my partial computer illiteracy...

• 1. Re: Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.
          dj_paige Level 9

I have literally just installed LR5.7 and with my photo library moved to external hard drive attempting to import back into LR5.7.

Importing is never the correct thing to do. Make your life easier, adopt the thought process that you NEVER re-import photos that have previously been imported into Lightroom. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Here are the instructions for moving Lightroom catalog and photos to a new computer: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

• 2. Re: Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.
            knoxphotography Level 1

I actually went through this process from the same source before resorting to asking for help here.

not sure what I'm doing wrong and apology for the term use re-import. I was attempting transfer from old computer to external hard drive to new computer using the actual same page and source originally that you referred to. Using this process I somehow did something incorrect and it still won't recognize the library when trying to "find missing files". 

Could this issue be because I haven't re-installed my driver to handle the Nikon RAW files yet?

Should I completely uninstall Lightroom and attempt again? Not sure how to backtrack once I've attempted to "find missing files".

Again, thank you for your help and assistance.

• 3. Re: Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

We probably need to be a bit more precise in our language as LR does not do "libraries".

After you copied your catalog from the old computer (or external drive) to the new computer, LR will not know where the images are because the catalog is referencing the old computer/drive.

From the Library module, go to the Folders panel. If the folder tree in the panel does not look like the folder tree in Finder/Explorer, right-click on a folder and select "show parent"; repeat as needed. After that select the top-most folder that is marked as missing "?", right-click, select "update location" or "find missing" or whatever the wording is.

You need to fix the "missing" folders before you attempt to fix any missing images.

• 4. Re: Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.
                dj_paige Level 9

knoxphotography wrote:

I actually went through this process from the same source before resorting to asking for help here.

not sure what I'm doing wrong and apology for the term use re-import. I was attempting transfer from old computer to external hard drive to new computer using the actual same page and source originally that you referred to. Using this process I somehow did something incorrect and it still won't recognize the library when trying to "find missing files".

You used the word "import".

If you imported photos, you did the wrong thing.

If you are getting the "missing file" message, then the same link discusses how to re-link missing files to fix that. Did you try to follow these instructions?

Could this issue be because I haven't re-installed my driver to handle the Nikon RAW files yet?

No such thing.

Should I completely uninstall Lightroom and attempt again? Not sure how to backtrack once I've attempted to "find missing files".

Uninstalling Lightroom is a total waste of time. You need to follow the instructions to re-link missing files.

• 5. Re: Need Help Please! Fresh install and attempted transfer to new iMac. Nikon RAW support.
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Knox,

there are are two things that I thought no you are confusing. There is the library or catalog file, which is a file that is like an index to your images. It contains references to your image files and develop recipes as well as lots of previews. It does not contain your images. Second to this are your image files which is typically in a folder with lots of sub folders somewhere on your hard disk. First thing is that your catalog file does not necessarily need to be on the external hard disk too. You can keep that internal Which is actually usually a good choice as typically internal hard disks are faster. Second thing is that if you indeed moved your images off to the external hard disk, all you need to do is to reconnect the folder in Lightroom with the top level folder in its new location. You right click (or control click) on the top level folder and select "Find missing folder" in the dialog you get find and select the new location for your images.

you say that new imports aren't showing. Just blank tiles. Do you mean after importing or in the import dialog? what happens if you're I take those new images into develop? It sounds like you perhaps have a corrupted preview database. That happens easily if you're moved your catalog file And sometimes Lightroom might have to rebuild the entire thing.