7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2015 9:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Still images with movie

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have an AVCHD project with the following attributes (screenshot)

attributes.jpg

I will save it with the following properties: Copy of MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 24 at 50fps before reimporting it as an MP4 file for editing and burning to a DVD folder on my hard drive as PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Before I do that, I intend to drag some 30+ still images to the Timeline which I hope to make into a slideshow. The idea is that the movie will display after the slideshow on the same standard DVD.

Given the dimensions of the movie, do my photos need to be a specific size and/or resolution, or are they considered to be two distinct
      projects albeit on the same DVD? The subject matter of the photos and the movie is exactly the same. At the moment, all the photos, which are unedited, have the following dimensions: 96 dpi, 2448px x 3264px (some landscape, some portrait).

Many thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Still images with movie
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

We need to confirm some the details. Please remind me what version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system....

1. The screenshot that you show of project settings are the default for the Premiere Elements with PAL setup - 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

At this point, I am not sure if that is the correct setting for your project or whether the project could not set automatically the project preset correctly and gave you its default.

2. To answer "1", we need to know the properties of the video that you are starting with...

Here is the part that is causing me to ask

I will save it with the following properties: Copy of MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 24 at 50fps before re-importing it as an MP4 file

Are you saying that you have a 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second video source, are importing that into a Premiere Elements project with the corresponding project preset PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25, and are exporting it

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24 which you are then customizing to 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second? Why, with the destination that you say......

And, then that 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second file is going into another project for the burn to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second).

As for the photos...your frame size is 4:3 or 3:4 and the project is 16:9...

a. you can import each as is into the project and then scale them to fit the 1920 x 1080 16:9 space in the monitor

or

b. before you import them crop resize them to 1920 x 1080 before import into the project.

Please consider. For the final destination to the PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, I am going to try to fit in a project preset of

PAL DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p25 if we can if consistent with everything else.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Still images with movie
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks for your reply.

I have Premier Elements 11 on Windows 10.

The footage was shot in AVCHD with those Project Settings. I did not Preset anything - the screenshot shows the natural properties of the footage. Yes, I saved the project to my hard drive with the following attributes: MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24 @ 50 frames per second. This is where I am up to at the moment:

Properties.jpg

It's a huge 7+ GB file (and that's without including any slideshow!).

I have played the movie back on my PC and it's as good as watching it on TV.

I have not gone through any editing yet and intended to open this MP4 file in Premier Elements 11 to do just that before burning it to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second) if that is possible (I am not too bothered about the 'widescreen' aspect if you think it won't help matters).

As to the photos, I think I prefer your option (b). Do I resize them to 1920 x 1080 whether widescreen or not?

Thanks again.

Steve

• 3. Re: Still images with movie
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

Typically 16:9 is called Widescreen. And, 1920 x 1080 is 16:9. So, 1920 x 1080 would be the target crop resize size. If you use the Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool set to 1920 x 1080 and the Crop bounding box positioned to what you want from your 4:3 image, you should do fine and not have any distortion.

With regard to your details for the Timeline that will be going into this burn to...

No matter what you have on the Timeline, with Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, the end product will be 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

Therefore I am not clear why the intermediates before the burn and the frame rate changes.

But, if  MP4 1920 x 1080p50 is going to be your source file for the final project final burn to disc (PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD), then you would start with

Project Preset

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080p50

Please consider. And, please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Still images with movie
                SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks ATR

When you say:

But, if  MP4 1920 x 1080p50 is going to be your source file for the final project final burn to disc (PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD), then you would start with

Project Preset

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080p50

Is that for a standard DVD player and NOT Blue Ray?

I have no Blue Ray player.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Still images with movie
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

From what you wrote, your project destination is PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

When you import a file into the project, the project preset that is set should match the properties of the imported source file so that you can have the correct space in the Edit area monitor for editing. In your case, you want a 1920 x 1080 16:9 space in that project's monitor.

1. You say that you want a 1920 x 1080@50 progressive frames per second source. So the best project preset should be set accordingly to match the file properties.

Consequently

Project Preset

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080p50

All this can and is done when a regular DVD burner is part of the computer environment. No Blu-ray burner involved in any of this.

The export is a different matter. As long as you keep the aspect ratios (import and export) consistent (16:9 to 16:9), you will be OK.

2. This is now a 16:9 project destined for a 16:9 burn to with the correct burn preset for PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD).

3. Remember in this process, the program is going to be taking your 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second to a format on the disc which is described 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second. That burn to preset is not user adjustable. Always been that way. When the player gets this DVD disc, it interprets the 16:9 flag so that it stretches the video to about 1050 x 756 16:9 for display on your TV DVD player.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, please indicate where I need to clarify.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Still images with movie
                    SteveH59 Level 1

I was hoping you would say what you have said.

I suppose I mistakenly tend to associate AVCHD and 50fps with Blue Ray which is why I was hoping for your clarification.

I am resizing the still images now in Photoshop Elements using the crop tool.

Many thanks again for your help and time.

Steve

• 7. Re: Still images with movie
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Sounding good.

We will be watching for further news as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR