6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 4:46 AM by Luke Jennings

Text appears bolded when I export to PDF

eb63

Hello everyone,

I am exporting an InDesign file to PDF. However, the text is appearing bolded when I export it to PDF.

I am attaching a screenshot of the two versions: on the left is what it looks like when previewing it in InDesign; on the right is the PDF version I have after export.Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 7.03.24 PM.png

Any ideas about how to fix this? I need to send my client PDF versions to get her sign off.

• 1. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is probably due to transparency on the page being flattened during export. Exporting to Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility should correct that.

• 2. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF
            eb63 Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for your response. I tried exporting it as an Acrobat 7 file (it was set at Acrobat 5 previously) and I'm still experiencing the same issues. Are there any other settings I need to tweak? I am not very familiar with saving files for print. Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF

Actually, I think I probably mislead you with my previous answer. The boldening effect isn't restricted to flattening, but the (potentially) good news is that it tends to be restricted to screen and low-resolution printing, so if this is going to a press it shouldn't be a problem.

It will help, but not probably eliminate the problem, if you keep all text above the transparency in the stacking order.

• 4. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF
                eb63 Level 1

Hi Peter, that's good to know. However, the issue is mostly that I'm attempting to save as a PDF so my client can sign off on it before sending it to print (and then I would be sending it to print in another state where I wouldn't be able to check the final product). I want her to view it as it will print. Any ideas how I can get this to preview as it will print in a PDF form? I'm not super familiar with inDesign so don't quite understand the transparency/stacking order issue but will Google around to figure it out, if that seems like the best solution. Thanks for all your help.

• 5. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF

This is a longstanding issue, and not much you can do about it. Perhaps the best you can hope for is consistency, which menas if your layout uses any transparency, you should use it on all pages (which you can do by adding a transparent object in an out-of-the way place on the master page).

• 6. Re: Text appears bolded when I export to PDF
                    Luke Jennings Level 4

Are you outlining your type in InDesign? If so, there is no need. Are you using Acrobat or Adobe Reader to view your PDF? Some viewers, like Preview, will display type differently, so you and your client should be using Acrobat or Reader, preferably using the same viewing preferences.