2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 7:08 AM by cfighter

After Effects Wont Open my Footage!

cfighter

Hello!

Ok, so I just wrapped up filming a project. I filmed using a JVC GYHM250, filmed in 1080p 30fps. I imported my footage to my computer. I can view the footage no problem. Quicktime opens the footage and has no issues with it. I can import my footage into Premiere Pro [CS6] with no hiccups. Premiere reads the footage no problem at all. HOWEVER, the second I attempt to take my footage into After Effects [CS6], things take a turn for the worse.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 11.47.03 PM.png

I don't understand why I keep getting this message. My workflow is/has been: I import the footage into Premiere Pro > I create a dynamic link Composition with After Effects.

I have tried sending the raw footage into After Effects without Premiere Pro, and I get this same error. Again, my footage is not damaged, because I can open it anywhere else. I don't see how it's unsupported since Premiere Pro opens it no problem.

Furthermore, if I try to compress my footage and change the file type, the footage DRASTICALLY lowers in quality. I know that you lose quality when you file compress, but we're talking going form 1080p to 120p. I've never had that big of an issue with lose of quality in file compression - but my point is that file compression is out of the question on this one.

This is an image of the footage file in question, taken from After Effects.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 11.46.54 PM.png

• 1. Re: After Effects Wont Open my Footage!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, make sure your AE is up to date. Someone with experience with this flavor of JVC quicktime will have to chime in to let you know if this is a common problem with this type of footage. 3rd party video codecs or codec packs installed on your system this may be causing the problem.

If you must transcode the footage there is no reason to have a loss in quality if you use the right workflow. DO NOT compress it, you render a DI (digital intermediate) using a lossless production format. The best option is to use a 10 bit or better codec. This will not drastically lower quality, it is the standard way to get compressed footage into the production pipeline so you can work on it without quality loss. Production formats that work well are Quicktime JPEG 2000 (only 8 bit but supports transparency), the Cuneiform 12bit format, and a bunch of others. It all depends on your system. You can use the Adobe Media Encoder to do the transcoding. Newer versions of the Media Encoder have the Cuneiform Codec available. Here's the AME from CC. The Uncompressed YUV 10bit is excellent but gives very large files. There are other options depending on your OS and system specifications.

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 6.48.26 AM.png

• 2. Re: After Effects Wont Open my Footage!
            cfighter Level 1

Thank you for your reply! A little bummed out that I need to incorporate a new workflow with this type of footage - considering they are still MOV files. BUT your suggestion about transcoding did do the job just fine. I was able to successfully transcode my footage with [seemingly] no quality lost, and I can now continue forward into AE. So again, thank you very much. A big life saver you are.