2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 3:08 PM by sambi1546480

How can I make my hd footage look like older formats?

sambi1546480 Level 1

I am currently working on a project where in I want to transition back and forth between the looks of older formats like DV tapes and early VHS. I am really interested in the differences between the formats aesthetically, but i don't know in layman's terms what the differences are. I have found ways to simulate interlacing and contrast limitations of older formats. It still looks very digital to me though. How can i simulate that warm and faded look of early consumer cameras?

• 1. Re: How can I make my hd footage look like older formats?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Add a bit of blur and use effects like Timewarp to add a bit of "sensor smear". Also consider separating the channels and offsetting them slightly at the sub-pixel level to mimic the misalignment of the sensor cells. And then of course the usual - noise, a bit of position wiggle to simulate uneven tape transport, possibly rolling bars and other typical video artifacts plus some very heavy color corrections. E.g. old DV footage has almost no clean blues due to the chroma undersampling and everything turns into purples, dark petrol blues and turquoise. Same for the greens and the reds having yellow casts...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How can I make my hd footage look like older formats?
            sambi1546480 Level 1

Thank you so much, that is amazingly helpful! Is there a place I can learn more about the quirks specific cameras have, like the old DV cameras undersampling chroma, as well as an explanation what causes them?

What did u mean by "sub-pixel level"? Is that just bumping the red channel over a few pixels for example? Sorry if I don't know the lingo yet. I'm pretty new to the technical aspects of film editing, but I'm very eager to learn.