20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 8:14 AM by Paxel_photo

How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Jarmolli

LR CC does not display a 'Don't import suspected duplicates' check box in the File Handling panel in the Import Photos view, like it used to. I am keeping copies of my photos on external drives. I have copied some of the photos to external drives using Finder. The new version of  LR CC will not import them. Therefore I do not see the contents of the drives in LR. Clicking on the 'Synchronize Folder' displays the contents of the folder properly, but importing pictures does not work. I assume that the default is: Don't import duplicates, but how do I get around it ?.

• 1. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Jarmolli

Greetings!!

The option "Don't Show Suspected Duplicates" has been taken out of the new import Window.

There are known issues with Folder Synchronization, but here is a Workaround for it Synchronize folder fails with error 'No photos or videos were found to import'

Also refer Update on Lightroom 2015.2 / Lightroom 6.2 Release  if you face other issues.

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
            Jarmolli Level 1

Thanks, but the Synchronize Folder still fails. The import dialogue shows the contents of the subfolder correctly, but the blue 'Import photos' - button stays greyed out. Considering to roll back to earlier release.

• 3. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jarmolli wrote:

LR CC does not display a 'Don't import suspected duplicates' check box in the File Handling panel in the Import Photos view, like it used to. I am keeping copies of my photos on external drives. I have copied some of the photos to external drives using Finder.

What is the purpose of creating the copies? Are they backup copies to protect against loss due to a primary hard drive failure? If so there is no need or benefit in importing backup copies into LR. You should use the OS X Time Machine or other backup utility to keep your image files and other media files "synchronized" on the backup drive(s). If you are using the image file "copies" for editing purposes you can use Virtual copies.

• 4. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                Paxel_photo

Hello, what is the value of an application supposed to catalog your photos if it decide by itself what you can or cannot do ?

Whatever the purpose of creating copies is, I need my catalogue application to record whether a photo is or is not in a directory.
                LR forbid that actually, it is a very bad feature.

Now I agree to explain to you why I need to catalog my duplicates :

- I have a network, that I use for sharing photos with users that don't use LR, but only the explorer features of their OS (PC and Mac), so I am managing "Delivery folders".

- I want to prepare my photos in a safe place, then deliver the result in those shared directories ; kind of "mix" folders" for input and output that forbid any "publication methods" from LR.

- thus, the choosen photos wil be sent as duplicates in the delivery folder.

- And using LR let me blind NOW that I can no longer import the duplicates.

Therefore it is a very important (FOR ME) feature that has been removed.

I don't want Adobe be the gestapo of my work. And I have no time to waste dealing with regressions.

As for me, I accept that some other persons have other reasons to decide cataloguing duplicates and I will never ask them to justify.

Is it too high a request that Adobe cares about its customers ?

Patrick

• 5. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Paxel_photo wrote:

Now I agree to explain to you why I need to catalog my duplicates :

- I have a network, that I use for sharing photos with users that don't use LR, but only the explorer features of their OS (PC and Mac), so I am managing "Delivery folders".

Thank you for explaining what you are trying to do. These technically are not original file copies. LR is a non-destructive editor and your original files are never altered. You should be creating rendered output file copies with your LR edits applied using the Export module and not Finder. This will create a new file that is "different" than the original file, which you will be able to import into LR.

Imported image files that have no edits applied can be "copied" over to the network folder if you choose. Select the unedited files in the LR Library module and then go to the Export module:

1)  Under 'Export Location' select the destination folder on the external drive and check 'Add to This Catalog' box.

2)  Under 'File Settings' > 'Image Format' select 'Original.'

3)  Click on the 'Export' button.

An exact copy of the original file with no LR Edits, Keywords, or Ratings will be created in the destination folder AND appear inside LR. Personally, I suggest Exporting to a JPEG format file, which will have your LR Edits, Keywords, and Ratings applied as follows:

1)  Under 'Export Location' select the destination folder on the external or network drive and check 'Add to This Catalog' box.

2)  Under 'File Settings' > 'Image Format' select 'JPEG.'

3) You have the option to resize the file using 'Image Sizing,' which may be useful if the viewers don't need a full-size image file.

3)  Click on the 'Export' button.

If you still need to import the copies that are currently on the external drives I suggest rolling-back to LR version CC 2015.1.1 as outlined here:

Roll back to a prior update version

Going forward you can use the procedures I've outlined above to make copies, which should work with the CC 2015.2.1 version as well. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 6. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                    Paxel_photo Level 1

Thank you, but once more you are making the (wrong) hypothesis that I am a newbie.

Exporting LR files to different locations is a pain, even with the export presets that, for your info, I do edit directly some times.

It is much more efficient (relatively to the spent time or number of clicks) to export the files once, then copy them using Explorer. I prefer to spend my time for retouching better than for file displacements.

By using the export functionnality for every folders you must crawl to the desired locations because LR retains only one export location, always the same.

I am upset by the number of clicks that its poor interface makes mandatory. Some old applications have a feature that I am really missing in LR: the possibility to define a relative path. I have made the choice of a directory organisation where the resuts of my work goes to the parent directory of the original files.

For example, in DxO Pro, which is a powerful renderer, I may define the standard export path as ".." which means, as in the old DOS way, "put the file in the parent directory". You can write "..\final" if tou want the result export in a brother directory. You may even, in a single export click, send multiple copies to multiple locations at once, to fulfill your workflow. Lot of progress to be done by LR!

Therefore, I had to develop strategies to simplify my work. But apparently, Adobe does not aggree, and I have to follow their will. It's a pity. Even if the application is really a great piece of software, they are gradually make me sick of their one-way thinking.

Sorry for the wording, nothing personnal.
                    Many thanks for the links to the roll-back, I will do it for sure.

• 7. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Paxel_photo wrote:

Thank you, but once more you are making the (wrong) hypothesis that I am a newbie.

He isn't, but he is suggesting that you're trying to use Lightroom in a way it wasn't really designed for.

• 8. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                        ViatheLens Level 1

Rename the folders, you can simply add a 1 or anything to the name as long as it is different than what they are currently named.

• 9. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Paxel_photo wrote:

By using the export functionnality for every folders you must crawl to the desired locations because LR retains only one export location, always the same.

LR retains at least eight or more of the "last used" 'Export To' 'Specific folder' locations. Just tested it....does this work for you?

Export Folders - Recently Used.jpg

• 10. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                            Paxel_photo Level 1

Hello,
                            Ok, you teached me st, but I am sorry, it's no use.

I mean: this is in the case you choose "Specific folder". Once more, my workflow is quite standardized, but I will never put all the result in the same (even in the 8 same) directories.
                            For same reasons I will never create a new export preset for each job I have to do. My will as a customer is that the tool be adapted to my customer wish, not that I must learn and to accept Adobe diktats.

I have discovered some interesting features that I have adopted, but some points remain frustrating as I am sure they are time and workload consumming, just because Adobe think they are better than all others.
                            My wish is that LR retains the last used folder in the dialog box displayed in the "Select folder later" (sorry, I translate, my LR is in French) and ... hum ... actually it does. I just discover it while testing to be precise ...I was not looking at the right place ....
                            I have always been looking at location 2 in the screencap below, I should have look at loc 1...

Anyway, our discussion let me open the eyes, so: many thanks again, that was a missing feature ... till now!

Dialog1.jpg

Now, it is perfect:

- sift-ctrl-E to export,

- enter (because export preset is already selected)

- eventually folder selection for the actual session, or folder re-call using the above method,

- enter, and it's done.

Thanks a lot.

But (smiling..) all that has driven us far away from the first concern: why wants Adobe rule my life and deprive me from well done and valueable features ?

• 11. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                              Paxel_photo Level 1

Sorry, there is one missing precision about my workflow. (for your answer n° 5)

For personnal reasons some of the result files MUST be present in more than one directory. Because I found it so time consuming, boring to do it from inside LR, I was doing the duplication with explorer. Thus, they are exact duplicates.

But in that case, no possibility in CC 2015.2.1 to get them in the catalog, as it was possible before. So it is a real regression and a bug.

Have a nice week-end !

• 12. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Paxel_photo wrote:

I just discover it while testing to be precise ...I was not looking at the right place ....
                                I have always been looking at location 2 in the screencap below, I should have look at loc 1...

Anyway, our discussion let me open the eyes, so: many thanks again, that was a missing feature ... till now!

Glad to hear that resolves the issue.

• 13. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Paxel_photo wrote:

For personnal reasons some of the result files MUST be present in more than one directory. Because I found it so time consuming, boring to do it from inside LR, I was doing the duplication with explorer. Thus, they are exact duplicates.

But in that case, no possibility in CC 2015.2.1 to get them in the catalog, as it was possible before. So it is a real regression and a bug.

I'm pretty sure Adobe will restore the original Import interface including duplicate import in the next update. I've suggested they make this an 'Advanced' option box located in the Import module or Preferences with the simpler interface as the default setting. This fulfills Adobe's wish to make importing files easier for beginners.

• 14. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paxel,

As trshaner says, adobe is bringing back the old import dialogue including the option to import duplicates in the next release. If you want this capability back and a working synchronize right now, the best thing to do is to go back to 2015.1.1. Instructions here: www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-roll-back-to-lightroom-2015-1-1-or-lightroom-6-1-1/

the he only real reason to stick with 2015.2 is if you need support for a camera that wasn't supported in 2015.1.1 or if you actually like the new import dialog.

• 15. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                                      Paxel_photo Level 1

Jao vdl,
                                      I don't understand the purpose of your post: I already said in answer 6 that I will use that possibility, well explained by trshaner in his answer 5.

When I said I wanted to be able to import duplicates, I didn't meant duplicate answers ...

Thanks, anyway.

Best regards.

• 16. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My fault. I missed that you had already been given the answer. I only saw that you had been told to change your workflow.

• 17. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

The OP and the roll-back to 6.1.1 or CC 2015.1.1 solution definitely bears repeating. It's all good folks....

• 18. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                                            Jarmolli Level 1

I just want LR to show all the pictures I have on each disk, no matter how they got there. Simple as that. Besides for backing up I use external drives to move my pics between computers. Some have LR and some have not. LR shows me previews of RAW and dng - files while Explorer or Finder do not. Using LR for all the copying/exporting would be fine but I haven't always been, nor will be, that pedantic. I'll wait for the new release.

• 19. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?

Jarmolli wrote:

I just want LR to show all the pictures I have on each disk, no matter how they got there. Simple as that. Besides for backing up I use external drives to move my pics between computers.

The LR Library module is not a designed to be a file manager such Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

As you already know the Library module will only show files that have been imported. You can import duplicates using LR 6.1.1 or CC 2015.1.1 and the next update. But I don't recommend doing this just to be able to "show" all the pictures you have on disk." Using the above mentioned LR versions you can "see" all of the pictures on your drives in the Import module with 'All Photos' checked at the top of that module. It's not the best interface for that purpose, but you can "see" any of your picture files without having to import them.

Since you have LR CC a better application for this purpose is Adobe Bridge. It allows you to "see" and launch any file type including pictures, musics, videos, documents, etc. It has all of the features of Windows Explorer and Finder, but with the capability to "see" all of your image files. Those users who are NOT on the CC plan (i.e. LR 4, 5, 6) you can download and use the free XnView application here XnView Software · Software for reading, organizing and processing images. It has almost all of the capabilities of Adobe Bridge and a few tools unavailable in any Adobe app, such as lossless-JPEG Rotation. I find both applications very useful.

• 20. Re: How to import duplicates in LR CC ?
                                                Paxel_photo Level 1

XnView is a great software. It also has a very useful unique feature: it is the only one that I know wich is able to read the camera picture counter, an info available in most RAW files.

In other word it can tell you how many pictures your camera has taken since the beginning, just given a recent raw file from that camera.
                                                Valuable for those who often buy used cameras, or for actual owners if you haven't followed the records.

For viewing and other operations, I also use FastStoneViewer: FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
                                                But numerous others exist: [Windows] Best free image viewer -- IrfanView vs XnView vs FastStone vs Picasa vs Zoner | Reviews, news, tips, and trick…