6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 5:46 PM by dolfingurl013

lightroom not responding

karynn58164853

why do I get a message "not responding" while in the middle of using Lr......even while not connected to the internet or using the cloud? I have to continually x out of program and restart.....anyone else have this issue?

• 1. Re: lightroom not responding
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

wwhat version of LR are you using and what operating system? If you are on Mac OS X and the latest LR (6.2.1/2015.2.1), you are probably experiencing one of the many lockup bugs in the newest LR. Not everybody gets bitten by this bug but if you do LR becomes impossible to use. It seems the bug is most severe on Macs but some Windows users see the slow downs and lock ups too. Only fix at the moment is to revert to the last version. Instructions are here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-roll-back-to-lightroom-2015-1-1-or-lightroom-6-1-1/

if you are not on the latest version, please let us know what LR version you are using and what operating system.

• 2. Re: lightroom not responding
            karynn58164853 Level 1

LR 6 and window 10......had someone at LR chat tech support remove and reinstall LR b/c I didn't want the creative cloud.......I have the "not responding" message both before and after....I was hoping that would do the trick, but it did not.

• 3. Re: lightroom not responding

Did you actually go back to the older version (6.1.1) ? Tech support probably had you reinstall the latest version (6.2.1) which is the one with a lot of problems. Reinstalling almost never works to fix problems such as this. If you don't yet want to go back to 6.1.1, you might first try turning off the "add photos screen" in Preferences->General. This seems to be the cause of many lockups and slowdowns. Also try turning off "Graphics card acceleration" in Preferences->Performance. Having this option turned on can cause some problems with certain hardware combinations. If neither of those works, consider following the instructions in the link I posted above to go back to 6.1.1.

• 4. Re: lightroom not responding
                karynn58164853 Level 1

the version of Lr I have is 6.0.......i do not have the updated versions.....neither 6.1.1 nor 6.2.1.  so i do i still have to uninstall/reinstall?  your directions below also suggest turning off the "add photo screen" or turning off "graphics card acceleration".  what would be the consequence to turning these off, and how will it affect what i can do in Lr? 

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm not computer savvy.  i brought my laptop to work w/me so my IT friend could help me follow these directions, but once we discovered i have the 6.0 version, we were hesitant to continue w/your directions without knowing what the consequences would be.  i was sold on the Lr b/c i was told was so simple to use, and the results were really good, but now i'm kind of regretting it.   

thanks again for your time and help with this......i am overwhelmed and frustrated, so i thank you immensely with your help and taking your time w/my questions.

Karyn N

• 5. Re: lightroom not responding

Ah. In that case, I'd recommend you update to 6.1.1. You do not have to uninstall. You basically only do step 3 from the link I posted above. You can go to 6.2.1 too but it has some problems with locking up more or less like you describe so perhaps not the best idea right now.

Regarding the "add photos screen" this is an option that is only present in 6.2 and 6.2.1. It is known to cause Lightroom to become unresponsive and so if you had 6.2 that would have been my guess of what is wrong. The graphics card option is present in all LR 6 versions and it is really only useful if you have a very high resolution screen and a very modern graphics card in your computer and if you do not edit heavily with brushes. If you do any brushing and do not edit on a very high resolution screen, you are better off with it turned off because it can really slow down Lightroom even though it is called "acceleration." It also on some machines with certain graphics card can cause crashes. Turning it off is a simple test whether this is the issue.

• 6. Re: lightroom not responding
                    dolfingurl013

Did you get an answer to solve your problem? I'm having the same issue. LR2015.5 CC and Windows 10