Hi

I have a pretty new Windows 10 computer. Here are some specifications:

- Intel i7-4790 3.6ghz 8-core

- 32gb memory

- SSD Drive

- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770

- Latest Lightroom (Creative Cloud)

- 4k Monitor

Everything works fast on this machine, except Lightroom. I take a lot of pictures of cars that my customers wants to sell on the internet. I do a few seconds of tweaking on every picture.

This is what's slow: After a few seconds of tweaking (let's say cropping and some minor adjustments on exposure, hightligs and shadows), i skip to the next image. It takes then about 2-3 seconds before the image is shown in full quality. Doesn't sounds like much, but when doing this 400 times in 3 hours, it drives you nuts. Also the brush is sometimes lagging, and stays 1 second behind my mouse movements. GPU is enabled. Other times, it looks find and stays only about 0,1-0,2 seconds behind. And when I have skipped to the next picture, there is a delay of >1 second before I can use the panels.

Is there a HW problem? Lightroom problem? Or is it just the way Lightroom works?

The files is 2592x1728 RAW files, stored on SSD and no other programs is working. I have done everything that the optimization guide suggests.

br

Nina Knutsen

• 1. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try disabling the GPU acceleration (settings->performance). That might speed things up quite a bit. The GPU acceleration can really break down when you are working with brushes. Otherwise, the sluggishness you note is not that much out of line even on very fast computers. You can sometimes gain some speed for switching between images by increasing the camera raw cache (Preferences->File Handling).

• 2. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
            robertz Level 1

I've found that LR is really slow at opening up large raw files.  Try going into loupe view, then click on the photo to zoom in, and then start scrolling through photos.  It spins around "loading" for 1 to 3 seconds for every photo.  So much for GPU acceleration.

Only way I've been able to figure out how to speed this process up is to generate 1:1 previews for the photos.  That, in itself, is a pretty slow process and also consumes a bit of disk space.  It can also slow down imports.  But the end result after the processing is quicker movement between photos.

• 3. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On D800 files (7360 x 4912), switching between images is about that slow here too, on an i7-3820 / SSD system where the Lightroom catalog and cache/previews have a separate, dedicated SSD.

I agree it's a turnoff. All adjustments are snappy and no problem - it's just going to the next shot that always tests my patience.

I've been running a Capture One trial for a while, mostly out of curiosity. It is a little faster, but even there you have to wait. And since then I've seen other reports, from other people, that Cap 1 is glacially slow but Lightroom works OK. So there you go.

I've concluded that this is the achilles heel of parametric editing. It seemed like the next big thing, but there's never a free lunch, is there...

And anyway, there are so many things about Cap 1 that I simply can't bring myself to like, not least the UI design, that I don't think a switch would do any good for my peace of mind. So be it.

• 4. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow

One of the surprising things to many people is that having graphics acceleration turned on actually slows down the initial load considerably. This is especially true for very large files (big panos or files from big megapixel cameras). Rendering 1:1 helps some because the raw data is now kept in somewhat faster to load form in the camera raw cache even though the 1:1'preview itself is not used in develop. Using a larger camera raw cache also helps because more raw files are kept in this faster form in the cache and the probability it is there goes up. Bottom line is that 1-3 seconds to jump between images in develop is pretty normal unfortunately.

• 5. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                  Nina Blaasertop Knutsen Level 1

Really hope that Adobe is aware of this annoying weekness, and are working on a solution. When you have a ton of memory, this should be smoother in my opinion. Do render 1:1 and raw cache are configured to 20gb.

• 6. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                    dj_paige Level 9

Really hope that Adobe is aware of this annoying weekness, and are working on a solution. When you have a ton of memory, this should be smoother in my opinion. Do render 1:1 and raw cache are configured to 20gb.

But it's not memory, you can have a ton and a half of memory, that doesn't speed up most operations in Lightroom. The CPU speed is the key thing here (or in some cases, with your 4K monitor, the GPU speed is the important thing, if the GPU acceleration is turned on).

But as someone above said, there is no free lunch. To get certain speed increases, you wind up with speed decreases in other areas. It does seem to be a limitation of parametric editing at this date in time.

A possible tradeoff you might want to try, which ought to improve the speed everywhere, is to set your monitor to HD (1920x1080) resolution, if possible. Yes, I know, you paid for a 4K monitor, you want to use it in 4K mode, but its a tradeoff that might work for you (or might not).

• 7. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                      robertz Level 1

I have a 4K monitor, and running in 1920x1080 doesn't help.  Photos look a lot better at 4K resolution.

I'm running an Intel 2600K at 4.5GHz, 32GB RAM, 2TB of SSD, and an NVidia 760Ti, and the machine can do a lot of calculations in a second.  I agree with Nina; given the hardware, I would expect the performance to be better.

• 8. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                        dj_paige Level 9

I have a 4K monitor, and running in 1920x1080 doesn't help.  Photos look a lot better at 4K resolution.

Yes, that's right, I was NOT saying the the pictures look better at 1920x10808, I acknowledge that they will look worse; I was saying that Lightroom would run faster.

• 9. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                          robertz Level 1

The issue (in the original post) is the lag of moving to the next picture, and also zooming in. I said it didn't help to run at full 1920 instead of 4K as the lag is still there.

Might as well use what looks better (4K) if performance is the same.

• 10. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                            Dr Tone Level 1

It's no better on the latest loaded up iMac 5k.  Develop module for the most part is responsive to adjustments, but still can have minor stalls.  Library module is almost useless.

Something has to be done, 4k/5k monitors are becoming common along with large megapixel cameras.  Come on Adobe!!!!

• 11. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow

Dr. Tone, what have you set for preview size in your catalog settings? It should be set to the highest value or to the optimized for screen setting if you have such a high res screen. If you don't, Lightroom will remake a preview every single time you go to a new image. This of course is terribly slow. Second, make sure you have set your display resolution on your iMac to "Best for Display" and not to one of the scaled resolutions. There are two reasons to do this. One is that the 1:1 display in Lightroom is not correct on retina/HiDPI screens if you set it to any other resolution as Lightroom assumes that the resolution is simply 2x as large as what is reported. At anything other than best for display, it will think your display is way larger than it actually is in pixels, calculate previews based on that much larger size and have the operating system scale down. This results in some added blurring and your 1:1 display not being the right size. It's really best to keep this setting at "best for display" for speed and quality of the display. I don't know what the equivalent setting is on windows but I guess there is a similar setting that controls the scaling used in the OS for fonts and such.

• 12. Re: Fast computer, but Lightroom is slow
                                Dr Tone Level 1

Yes I learned long ago to take the extra time to generate the largest highest quality previews on import. It is another level of dog slow if you don't.

Screen is always set for best for display.