3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2015 6:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Help with importing .mp4 from Hauppauge Capture into Adobe Premiere Elements 10?

TailsFiragaLP

Hello! So I've recently switched which capture software I use with my Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, switching from ArcSoft Showbiz to Hauppauge's own capture software. I've heard that the software works really well, and so far I like the video quality on it. However, the people who I've talked to neglected to inform me that apparently this software is garbage with its compatibility, as I can't import these files into my Adobe Premiere Elements 10 software.

Now I have used APE10 to edit together footage before, recorded in ArcSoft Showbiz, and to the extent of my knowledge the files I recoded on Hauppauge Capture should be the same: I recoded them in H.264 .mp4 files, same bitrate (14000 Mbps, constant) but I can't seem to import them into Premiere. Even though I've done checks and they should be fundamentally the same file types, whenever I try to import them they turn into just plain audio files, if they ever load at all! Having them just be audio is not good if I'm trying to edit game footage together as video.

The weird thing is, Hauppauge Capture also left a .TS video file of one of the recordings, and it loads perfectly fine into APE10! But since only the one part seems to have that .TS for some reason, that doesn't help at all. I'd hate to have to go back and re-record everything, considering I recorded at least two hours of footage. Is there any way I can get these .mp4 files to import?

• 1. Re: Help with importing .mp4 from Hauppauge Capture into Adobe Premiere Elements 10?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tailsfiragalp

Premiere Elements 10 on what computer operating system? What video card/graphics card does your computer use?

You need to confirm this, but it sounds like the HD PVR2 Gaming Edition gave you H.264.mp4 and MPEG2.ts and the MPEG2.ts can be imported into the Premiere Elements 10 project. Is that correct? And, are you saying the the ArcSoft gave you H.264.mp4? Do you know if any of the devices is recording with a variable frame rate?

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, take one of your HD PVR2 H.264.mp4 that will not import video, and import it into the free HandBrake  https://handbrake.fr/  to get its H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version to take into the Premiere Elements 10 project. Does that import video and audio wise?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10, and are you running the programs as administrator (from a user account with administrative privileges)? Also, download and install the free codec utility named GSpot and let us know the video's readout for Video Name Codec and Status as well as Audio Codec Status. GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Please consider, give more details, and then we will decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Help with importing .mp4 from Hauppauge Capture into Adobe Premiere Elements 10?
            TailsFiragaLP Level 1

I use Windows 7 as my operating system, graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6490M.

Yes, the capture device gave me an H.264.mp4 and an MPEG2.ts file when using the Hauppauge Capture software. When using the ArcSoft software, I only got an H.264.mp4 file. So far, only the files recorded using ArcSoft and the .ts file I got from the Hauppauge Capture program have imported successfully into the project. When importing the .mp4 files from Hauppauge Capture, Premiere will either freeze up, or import it only as audio, with the video being completely blank.

As for using HandBrake, it seems to actually work. I didn't notice any huge drop in video quality or frame rate, so I guess I'll just have to convert all the files I have so far. Thank you for the heads-up! I'll most likely have to record the next video parts as .ts files, but at least this will work for now.

• 3. Re: Help with importing .mp4 from Hauppauge Capture into Adobe Premiere Elements 10?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tailsfiragalp

Thanks for the follow up and the good news that HandBrake was able to convert your video into a format that would import into your Premiere Elements project.

Did you set the frame rate for constant under the Video Tab?

That finding would suggest

1. The Hauppauge Capture software is giving you some proprietary video codec under the description of H.264

and/or

2. The Hauppauge Capture is recording with a variable rather than a constant frame rate.

We can rule in or out "2" by downloading and installing the free video audio properties readout program named MediaInfo.

If you see 3 frames rates in the video properties Tree View, then the video was recorded with a variable frame rate. Premiere Elements does not do well with this type of frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Just be careful with your choices in downloading and installing that MediaInfo since it is noted for traveling with unwanted baggage.

Best wishes

ATR