2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 9:59 AM by ejbSFO

Lightroom crashes on import, iPhone a trigger

ejbSFO Level 1

The latest version of Lightroom CC, 2015.2.1, continues to be unstable, crashing constantly, usually taking Windows desktop down with it requiring a complete system reboot.

The import module and its new graphic interface seems to be a trigger for the this behavior. Clicking on import, sometimes LR hangs immediately without displaying the import screen, sometimes it half-displays the import screen as an transparency over the regular screen then hangs, and sometimes the import screen becomes fully visible but then more often than not LR and the Windows desktop crash anyways.

Though this behavior can happen any time, attempting to import photos from an iPhone guarantees a complete system crash.

The 2015 versions of Lightroom have all been more unstable than previous versions. These problems seem to be centered around graphics issues. I have a AMD Radeon graphics card and have had to rollback drivers repeatedly over the last year (as well as uncheck LR's graphic options) to get LR to work. And every new version of LR seems to require starting again from scratch to get the program, the OS and the graphics card all talking to each other. This time, they're refusing to talk.

Adobe, what say you? Similar problems are reported all over the net.

Any help with this mess is greatly appreciated.

Ed

Windows 7/64

Dell i7 12GB RAM

AMD RadeonHD 6450

iPhone 6S running iOS 9.1

• 1. Re: Lightroom crashes on import, iPhone a trigger
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi ejbSFO

Greetings!!

Though this behavior can happen any time, attempting to import photos from an iPhone guarantees a complete system crash.

If the Crash is specific to iPhone,it is because Lightroom does a scan of all devices where pictures would be found. It encounters the problem when it cannot properly identify a smartphone as a "hard drive".So if you have to set your iPhone to connect as a media device MTP. The issue might not occur.

The 2015 versions of Lightroom have all been more unstable than previous versions

You may roll back to version  2015.1.1. Refer  Roll back to a prior update version 

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom crashes on import, iPhone a trigger
            ejbSFO Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

If the Crash is specific to iPhone,it is because Lightroom does a scan of all devices where pictures would be found. It encounters the problem when it cannot properly identify a smartphone as a "hard drive".So if you have to set your iPhone to connect as a media device MTP. The issue might not occur.

The crash isn't specific to iPhone, just opening "Import" can trigger it. I've tried turning off the graphics screen, rolling back the LR version, rolling back the AMD graphics driver, nothing works.

The crash is constant with the iPhone. It is a new 6s; I just upgraded two weeks ago, the same time 2015.2.1 came out. I never had this problem with my previous iPhone 4s.

I am unfamiliar wit MTP and haven't set the phone to it. Why is this only a problem with LR? And why now? How do I fix it?

You may roll back to version  2015.1.1. Refer  Roll back to a prior update version

As I mentioned, I have rolled LR back; slight improvement in stability in import, but still intermittent crashes and constant crashes with the iPhone.

Thanks,

Ed