1. use the crop tool and enter a custom aspect

2. export the image with resize to fit and enter the format I want

This works for most formats but I can't get these correct:

1300px X 2000px

2697px X 1518px

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't export certain formats
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Exporting at an exact pixel size in Lightroom is not always possible but you can get close.

In LR, setting the "Custom Aspect" and Exporting as a specific pixel size are two separate functions.

In Export-  the pixel size options mostly indicate a 'Maximum' value where specified, ie, the image is re-sized to fit "within" the limits stated in the re-size panel.

For 1300px X 2000px  Set the Custom Ratio to 13 x 20 and Export Resize to 1300 x 2000px. (Edit- I used 20 x 13 for my sample) )

ScreenShot215.jpg

My Export-Resize to 1300 x 2000px

ScreenShot219.jpg

For 2697px X 1518px  Set the Custom Ratio to 2697 x 1518-    (or  1 : 1.77785102175346 if you want it as a ratio!)

ScreenShot216.jpg

My Export image- is only one pixel row different!

ScreenShot218.jpg

• 2. Re: Can't export certain formats
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

wobertc gives a good review on HOW to do it.

The missing question is: when you try this, how do your results differ from what you desire?

• 3. Re: Can't export certain formats
              arosqvist Level 1

Thanks for your answer. The way you describe is exactly the way I do it myself. However, I noticed when I enter the custom aspect 13x20 in the crop tool, the aspect shown in the dialogue is 3,3x5,10 which is not 13x20. Is there some way I can get rid of the 3,3x5,10?

ManiacJoe: What I get when exporting my image is a 1294x2000 image.

Skärmavbild 2015-11-09 kl. 00.02.17.png

• 4. Re: Can't export certain formats
                Bob Somrak Level 5

This VERY annoying change of the user input aspect ratio had been a BUG and/or POOR programming decision in Lightroom for a LONG time.  Adobe must think it is a feature as they refuse to fix it.  The program rounds the aspect to one near (and some not so near as in your example) an existing aspect ratio in the dialog history. 

• 5. Re: Can't export certain formats

3.3 x  5.10  is the same ratio as   13 x 20.09090909090909

How much closer do you want it?

Lightroom seems to convert the 13x20 to the 'same' ratio using smaller numbers.

But it is strange that I can see 13x20 saved in my Custom Ratios!

ScreenShot222.jpg

• 6. Re: Can't export certain formats

What I get when exporting my image is a 1294x2000 image

And this follows my other suggestion that the image is re-sized in export to fit "within" the limits stated- not an exact pixel size.

1294 is only 6 pixels 'within' your export maximum of 1300.

Only Photoshop and other pixel editors can be made to crop an image to an exact pixel dimension which, when saved, retains that exact same dimension.

• 7. Re: Can't export certain formats
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

wobertc

You are definitely correct about the ratio.  I must have punched something wrong in my calculator.  Its still a 1/2 percent off when it doesn't have to be.  I still think Lightroom should leave the value the user puts into the aspect values as it would save a lot of confusion and recalculating the aspect is totally unnecessary. 

• 8. Re: Can't export certain formats
                        arosqvist Level 1

You being able to see the exact 13x20 custom ratio is very strange indeed when I can't. I use the latest version of Lightroom CC, is there a way to clear the custom ratio history and "try again"?

• 9. Re: Can't export certain formats

A possible answer to my 13x20 custom ratio!

If you enter any values in the custom ratio dialog box that are greater than 20, then the ratio is reduced to smaller values!

(I seem to recall reading this somewhere but cannot remember where)

So my 13x20  shows as 13x20

my 19.5 x 20.5  is converted to 1.95 x 2.05

I do not know how  - "clear the custom ratio history and "try again"?  They could be stored in the preferences file- so there will be a Lightroom guru that knows the answer to this. (edit the preference file?)

• 10. Re: Can't export certain formats
                            arosqvist Level 1

I just cleared out my old 3,3x5,10 ratio and entered a new 13x20 which solved my problem...

• 11. Re: Can't export certain formats

Can you enlighten me?  How did you "Clear out the old ratio" ?