8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 1:34 PM by bmallar

Why 'upgrade' to CC

bmallar

I purchased and upgrade to LR 6 for $84.  I barely use PSE 9 and have no need to upgrade for additional features.  I will not use either on anything other than my laptop.  Why 'upgrade' to CC for $10/month?

Is there a plan to stop making 'fixes,' which now show up regularly, for my version of LR ?.  Or will I not be able acquire LR7  in 'hard copy'  when it's released ?

• 1. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
          dj_paige Level 9

bmallar wrote:

Why 'upgrade' to CC for $10/month?

Because Lightroom CC gives you more features and also Photoshop.

Is there a plan to stop making 'fixes,' which now show up regularly, for my version of LR ?. 

No such plan. There will always be fixes and updates.

Or will I not be able acquire LR7  in 'hard copy'  when it's released ?

Not sure what you are referring to. No public announcements about LR 7 have been made, so even if I knew what you meant, I probably would have to answer "I don't know".

• 2. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
            bmallar Level 1

thanks for the interest.

As I stated, I have no use for additional features, i'e. photoishop.  PSE 9 does all I need on the twice a year times I start it.  I would assume Adobe will continue to release additional versions of LR after 6 which will include new features and I can decide if I want to use them.

My question about LR 7 (when and if it is announced and released, or under another name) pertained to the future ability to down load a stand alone version of the next release.  It literally took days to find on the Adobe site the 'standalone' LR 6 for a fixed price of $84 - as in they were pretty much insisting on getting you onto CC - a bigger profit margin for them on an 'annual' basis - by essentially hiding the standalone link.

If they are no longer going to provide a fixed price, standalone version, than I will have no choice to switch to CC.  But until they do that I'm fishing for valid reasons to switch anyway and pay the higher price.

• 3. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

dj_paige wrote:

Not sure what you are referring to. No public announcements about LR 7 have been made, so even if I knew what you meant, I probably would have to answer "I don't know".

I think we have heard "officially" that there will be an Lr 7, and that - because this is when the standalone licence users will get DeHaze - the ability to purchase a standalone licence will persist.

• 4. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
                bmallar Level 1

thanks.  I have no idea what 'will get Dehaze', means, but it is nice to know the ability to purchase a standalone license will 'persist' which I assume you meant and not 'desist'....

• 5. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

The CC version gives you several NEW tools such as Dehaze Slider and Dehaze Brush that the standalone users will have to wait for.

• 6. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
                    dj_paige Level 9

Keith_Reeder wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

I think we have heard "officially" that there will be an Lr 7, and that - because this is when the standalone licence users will get DeHaze - the ability to purchase a standalone licence will persist.

Really? I must have missed that official announcement. Reference please?

• 7. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

There's a difference between official and "official", DJ - but we've seen on here from MVPs and others who are "plugged in" to Adobe; Adobe blogs; and other sites run by people we KNOW are in the know, what the plans are for the standalone.

In essence, this is common knowledge. Bob knows it, too, and we're not alone there...

• 8. Re: Why 'upgrade' to CC
                        bmallar Level 1

thanks to all.

I know you all are more interested in the name, timing, and potential features of the next LR release.

Many of us, though, are cursory users - we just don't have the need of all those bells and whistles to get our 'finished' images. 

And we are on fixed incomes, so a stand alone version at a cheaper price is a better option for us versus CC. 

Thanks for letting me know Adobe is planning to continue to offer the future releases of LR in a stand alone environment- have to evaluate the price differential when the time comes.

Thanks for the help/info

Bud