8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 10:57 AM by catduyck

Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?

bouldercolorado

There's certainly no greater advocate of LR/PS than Kelby and I was under the impression Adobe sought his team's input in the past.  I would find it hard to believe Kelby thought the new import module was a good idea.  Was he and his team consulted?

I was also under the impression LR product management would routinely consult with some of their industry advocates (in addition to Kelby) regarding features and changes.  I'm curious to know who, outside of Adobe, was consulted.

• 1. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
          dj_paige Level 9

No one outside of Kelby and Adobe can say. Adobe certainly won't announce publicly whether or not they did this.

So what is your point? Why ask this in a user-to-user forum, a forum whose purpose is to provide technical support, not inside information about the (probably contractual) dealings between Adobe and other parties? Why don't you ask Kelby, or Adobe?

• 2. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
            catduyck Level 1

I have the exact same question. With the latest upgrade I can't seem to find my way around anymore... I have copies of copies of copies. I keep getting more copies of iphone, ipad... Who is doing those things? It's not me. What I did before was hook up iphone to computer, and manually import things from phone to my external harddisk where I keep my backups. Now I have no idea anymore which photographs are aliasses, which ones are original, it just has become one big mess. I am afraid of deleting originals when I touch any of the mysterious folders. I don't need five folders that say Cat's Air... One would be enough! The same for the phone. And I still want to import them in my LR catalogue to my external, so adobe is not doing me any favors.

The current import module sucks big time! I was one of the original beta testers of Lightroom many lightyears ago, and have applauded every upgrade, but right now it is going in the wrong direction. Syncing is good, but I want to keep a certain amount of control... O,  and who gaves my iphone a number? I do not have 8 iphones, I have one and find it very hard to know these days what to do with the photo's as they sync all over the place...

HEEEELLLPPPPPPPPPP

Screenshot 2015-11-08 09.13.37 copy.png

• 4. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

bouldercolorado wrote:

I was also under the impression LR product management would routinely consult with some of their industry advocates (in addition to Kelby) regarding features and changes.  I'm curious to know who, outside of Adobe, was consulted.

They do, in this case they didn't listen! As for Kelby, the less said, the better.   We're talking about the fellow who sold some "Layers in Lightroom" which of course was bogus:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » The Amazing Marketing Power of Scott Kelby

• 5. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
                catduyck Level 1

To DJ_Page: Adobe is very hard to get a hold of, so normal people with limited brains as myself try to find answers here in the groups. Not nice to then get a highly rated member say to me/us that this is not the place for a certain question. I have actually thought about contacting Kelby since 3 weeks ago I bought his latest book on lightroom, which at this point has become obsolete already. Where are we to find help? The fora have become so blown up and hardly anybody gets answers at times... We want answers, and if there would be a faster and better way to ask questions and get those answers we probably would find and use those... O, BTW, You can watch all Julianne Kost her video's but she goes so darn fast that it is very hard to follow, and she skips certain steps that for answers looking people need. She skips the basic basic stuff, and at times that is what simple people need... This just in case you would refer us to Julianne Kost...

On another level, I have now been browsing the help section of LR for 3 days in a row, and am still clueless...

• 6. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

catduyck wrote:

HEEEELLLPPPPPPPPPP

Do as I and I suspect (thousands?) of unhappy LR users have done, just roll back a version until Adobe fixes this mess:

How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1?

• 7. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They do, in this case they didn't listen! As for Kelby, the less said, the better.   We're talking about the fellow who sold some "Layers in Lightroom" which of course was bogus:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » The Amazing Marketing Power of Scott Kelby

Indeed, many of the well-known names have come out and said they advised against the new (and now already discarded) import "experience". Even Kelby hinted he spoke out against it but Jeffrey's analysis of that guy is spot on so take that with a grain of salt.  I teach Lightroom classes for local photo clubs  and that is what I tell people to as it causes so many problems that even for beginners it is not worth it except if you need support for an extremely new camera (I think that's only the DxO One and the A7s mkII so likely doesn't affect many and you can always do the dng conversion). It's unfortunate as I had not been bitten by an upgrade bug yet and the quality of Lightroom updates has been quite good over the years. There was a major dataloss bug a few years ago, but I didn't even have a chance to upgrade before they pulled the update. This update made Lightroom completely unusable on my main machine which runs El Capitan even with the 2.1 update. I think Windows users have less problems with the update but still. Let's hope Adobe releases an update soon. I'd still have preferred if they pulled the update. I've had to help quite a few folks at my workshop/classes revert to 2015.1.1 to get their machines working again in my last class and that's only going to get worse until Adobe finally issues an update or pulls the .2 release.

• 8. Re: Did Adobe consult with Scott Kelby et al before changing the import module?
                      catduyck Level 1

Thank you so much Digitaldog, I might actually try that one. I am glad to hear that it is not me that suddenly suffers from a bad patch of dementia suddenly. Guess it is a good thing that we do send out notes and questions. Hopefully Adobe might have some minions that go diagonally over the forum... ;o))) Thanks for the link. Will give it a try!