1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2006 6:40 AM by Newsgroup_User

Populate a Map with XML data with FLEX?

Macnimation Level 1
      Hi,

I originally posted this question in the Flash Forum, but, because I'm dealing with importing XML information I think perhaps Flex is a better solution... I hope.

I want to create an Application where the console has several Panels.

The main requirement is that a Map of a Country (or section of the Country) is displayed in a Panel with several cities highlighted.

I
      The XML file contains several different types of monitored information. For example (Not the real info) Lightning strikes, Rainfall, Sunny days, High winds etc.

I want to be able to show on the map using dots, the data pertaining to each City, so I can look at the map and see that City A gets a lot of Lighning, but City B gets more Rain...etc.

If possible, by clicking on the city in the Map i can open another panel/s giving more detailed data for that city.

I'm sure Flex is the application for this, but I would like to find some help please on approaching this.

Cheers
        • 1. Re: Populate a Map with XML data with FLEX?
          Level 7
          While yahoo provides a SWF that can be plugged into a FLEX app. It is still
          for 1.5.

But there is a hack mentioned here that allows you to do it for FLEX 2.0. I
          have used this and it works fine.

http://www.asfusion.com/blog/entry/inserting-yahoo-maps-in-a-flex-2-application

Dr. YSG

Adobe ACE for Mobile

"Macnimation" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ejimr4$4j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I originally posted this question in the Flash Forum, but, because I'm
          > dealing
          > with importing XML information I think perhaps Flex is a better
          > solution... I
          > hope.
          >
          > I want to create an Application where the console has several Panels.
          >
          > The main requirement is that a Map of a Country (or section of the
          > Country)
          > is displayed in a Panel with several cities highlighted.
          >
          > I
          > The XML file contains several different types of monitored information.
          > For
          > example (Not the real info) Lightning strikes, Rainfall, Sunny days, High
          > winds
          > etc.
          >
          > I want to be able to show on the map using dots, the data pertaining to
          > each
          > City, so I can look at the map and see that City A gets a lot of Lighning,
          > but
          > City B gets more Rain...etc.
          >
          > If possible, by clicking on the city in the Map i can open another panel/s
          > giving more detailed data for that city.
          >
          > I'm sure Flex is the application for this, but I would like to find some
          > help
          > please on approaching this.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          >