7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2007 1:33 PM by McFazstp

Xtras - why?

MECS Level 1
      Is there a way to discover why a particular director movie "requires" a certain Xtra? In trying to make Mac projectors I am maing the hqx file on the PC and running it on the Mac to spawn the projector. All is well until I run the projector on the Mac. An error dialog box comes up saying the program requires a certain projector that either doesn't exist or didn't initialize properly. Please be sure to have appropriate Xtras in the Xtras folder. The Xtra indeed is in the Xtras folder in the same folder as the Director movie. But it's one I copied over from the Xtras folder on the PC. In fact, I just copied the entire XTras folder from the working PC version over to the Mac. Can Xtras not be interchanged that way?

1. How can I discover what Xtras a program requires?

2. How can I eliminate the need for a particular Xtra (how can I find out what the "need" actually is)?

3. Can an Xtras folder be copied over from a working Windows .dir movie and be expected to work on a Mac version?
        • 1. Re: Xtras - why?
          Level 7
          > 1. How can I discover what Xtras a program requires?

Open the source file/s and examine the Modify -> Movie -> xtras dialog,
          or type 'put the movieXtraList' in your message window with the file open

> 2. How can I eliminate the need for a particular Xtra (how can I find out
          > what the "need" actually is)?

That depends on whether it's an asset xtra, scripting xtra or transition
          xtra

> 3. Can an Xtras folder be copied over from a working Windows .dir movie and
          > be expected to work on a Mac version?

No, absolutely not. You cannot use Windows xtras on a Mac and vice
          versa. When publishing for the Mac on a PC, furthermore, you need to
          bundle the xtras into the projector, or create the xtras folder on a Mac
          and place Mac versions of all required xtras into it. Furthermore, you
          can't download Mac xtras onto your PC and move them onto a Mac from
          there - as soon as the Windows file system touches any Mac filem, it
          loses its resource fork and becomes unusable.
          • 2. Re: Xtras - why?
            Level 7
            >> 2. How can I eliminate the need for a particular Xtra (how can I find
            >> out what the "need" actually is)?
            For a quick check on MX2004, go to file>publish>projector settings, and
            check the 'exclude all xtras' box.
            Better yet, go to modify>movie>xtras, and uncheck the include in projector
            and download if needed boxes.
            Then publish your movie as a standard (not shockwave) projector, and
            director will notify you for asset (member) xtras that are missing, and
            produce an alert for commands that cannot be executed (script xtras)
            If your projector produces no errors, then it required no Xtras. Otherwise,
            try enabling (check the include in projector box) one xtra at a time, and
            publish and run again.

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f5smj6$rbn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> 1. How can I discover what Xtras a program requires?
            >
            > Open the source file/s and examine the Modify -> Movie -> xtras dialog, or
            > type 'put the movieXtraList' in your message window with the file open
            >
            >> 2. How can I eliminate the need for a particular Xtra (how can I find
            >> out what the "need" actually is)?
            >
            > That depends on whether it's an asset xtra, scripting xtra or transition
            > xtra
            >
            >> 3. Can an Xtras folder be copied over from a working Windows .dir movie
            >> and be expected to work on a Mac version?
            >
            > No, absolutely not. You cannot use Windows xtras on a Mac and vice versa.
            > When publishing for the Mac on a PC, furthermore, you need to bundle the
            > xtras into the projector, or create the xtras folder on a Mac and place
            > Mac versions of all required xtras into it. Furthermore, you can't
            > download Mac xtras onto your PC and move them onto a Mac from there - as
            > soon as the Windows file system touches any Mac filem, it loses its
            > resource fork and becomes unusable.

• 3. Re: Xtras - why?
              MECS Level 1
              So it sounds as if you're saying I can use the Windows Xtras as long as I bundle them inside the projector before taking it to the Mac. I assume that accounts for the fact I am taking not the projector itself, but the hqx file from the PC to the Mac to spawn the projector. Is that correct?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Dewey
              • 4. Re: Xtras - why?
                MECS Level 1
                Thank you, alchemist. I have printed out your suggestion and will try that process.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Dewey
                • 5. Re: Xtras - why?
                  James Newton, ACP Level 3
                  Windows machines and Macs have a completely different architecture. Xtras compiled for Windows will not run under the Mac OS. Any Windows xtras bundled inside a Mac projector will be ignored. You must use xtras compiled for the target Mac OS (X or classic) inside your Mac projector.

Mac files use a resource fork which Windows ignores. Wrapping the Mac projector in an hqx file ensures that the resource fork of each file is not forgotten when the files are brought across from a Windows machine to a Mac. Once on the Mac, the hqx file should be expanded to give a playable projector.
                  • 6. Re: Xtras - why?
                    MECS Level 1
                    Thank you, James. Let's see if I understand this. I create an hqx file on my PC that includes some Xtras that have to be included inside the projector. I then take the hqx file to my Mac and run it to create the projector. Is it during the creation of the projector that the Mac versions of the Xtras are retrieved from the Macintosh and placed inside the projector?

Dewey
                    • 7. Re: Xtras - why?
                      McFazstp Level 1
                      The Mac xtras do not have the .x32 extension. I'm not sure about the Windows version but in MX2004 on the Mac the xtras are found in a Cross Platform Resources folder under the Director application.