3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 2:02 AM by Beverley Gray

can i use Adobe stock photography on books i plan to sell

sarahcoote

Hi all

I have found two great photos i wish to buy for my new book however i am concerned because i plan on selling these books on Amazon ebay etc and I am unsure if I am allowed to do this.

can someone please tell me the rules concerning this thank you

• 1. Re: can i use Adobe stock photography on books i plan to sell
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi sarahcoote,

You may use the images in the Book for the reference purpose ,also you may use it for the Book cover, and please check the below information :

Use of Stock images on book or e-book covers is allowed if the print run is fewer than 500,000 copies (Adobe Stock limit). Images showing models can't be used in a manner that the models could perceive as offensive. (For example, avoid using images with models on the cover of a steamy romance novel or a book about politics or religion, etc.)

Can use the following talktrack to respond to customers asking about this:

In general terms, you can use an Adobe Stock image for the cover of your book. There are a few exceptions. The image cannot provide the primary value of the book. In most cases the cover is simply decorative with the content of the book providing the primary value. Another thing to keep in mind is that the use of the image cannot be perceived as offensive by a model featured in the image. No steamy romance novels, political content, etc. The print run limit is 500,000 so you would need to purchase an additional license if you exceed 500,000 sales. As always, be sure to review the license agreement for specific details on allowable use and if you are still uncertain it may be in your best interest to obtain legal counsel to review the agreement on your behalf as well.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: can i use Adobe stock photography on books i plan to sell
            sarahcoote Level 1

Thank you for your response it has helped me no ends.

• 3. Re: can i use Adobe stock photography on books i plan to sell
              Beverley Gray Adobe Employee

Correction:

Adobe Stock known issues and limitations

Use of Stock images on book or e-book covers is allowed if the print run is fewer than 500,000 copies (Adobe Stock limit). Images showing models can't be used in a manner that the models could perceive as offensive. (For example, avoid using images with models on the cover of a steamy romance novel or a book about politics or religion, etc.)

For additional info, please check the response from Mat Hayward here - Can Adobe Stock Photos be used for Book Covers?

Thanks

Bev