12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 12:54 PM by BobLevine

InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit

saminhawaii Level 1

Everything seems to work fine except sometimes the font display gets wonky after it's been accessed once, but it crashes on quit the SECOND time it's been opened. Quits OK the first time it's closed (after a system restart), which suggests that InDesign is having a problem finding something at close, maybe? Like maybe there's a place it wants to save something and it can't because write permission isn't defaulted ON in El Cap? The fact that font display sometimes doesn't suggests that might be associated with it. I've made sure read/write is enabled in the Library for Adobe, and Adobe and Preferences in the User, but it's driving me crazy. So what's changed since Yosemite? It ran fine under Yosemite. I did a re-install; no fix. Photoshop and Illustrator work fine. The many pages of cryptic gobbledegook in the failure report aren't much help.

I know, I know; it isn't supported for El Cap. Still, it ran under Yosemite and El Cap is supposed to be a very minor change. Ha.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You were lucky with Yosemite. Lots of people have had problems with CS5 and Yosemite.

For El Capitan, you need to go to System Preferences > General  and turn off Automatically Show/Hide the Menu Bar to prevent crashes.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
            saminhawaii Level 1

already did. Also deleted preferences, no help there. Clean install, no joy.

this is not a crash in the sense that it stops working out of nowhere; it just doesn't quit properly, crashes on closing, which makes me think it's not finding something that it's supposed to, using the defaults the first time it opens, or something like that. The fact that it closes fine the first time after a re-boot, but not thereafter, is suspicious. Where does InDesign stick housekeeping information?

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's likely a problem with permissions on you user/<yourname> folder. Check them.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                saminhawaii Level 1

That's what I would think; but everything that even remotely looks like a  folder ID might want, I have read/write permission for; also application support folders in the Library and everything in my /user folder. Suggestions as to where else to look? I suspect that it has something to do with the new System Integrity Protection not believing that something InDesign does is not OK. If so, then the SIP will "fix" it every chance it gets unless there's a patch or something to tell it not to.

I can't believe I'm the only person with this specific issue. I read a lot of "won't load" and "crashes all the time" complaints fixed with the deprecated version of Java 6 and/or not hiding the menu bar, but nothing about crash on quit. It's not like I'm unique. It's not a fatal flaw, but between the increasing issues with CS in the OS environment every time there's an "upgrade", and my aversion to CC, I can see changes in my future.

Anybody know or have an idea of where ID might put something that SIP doesn't like?

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the Library you are referencing the System/Library or the Users/<yourname>/Library (a hidden file since 10.7)?

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                    saminhawaii Level 1

both. I have read/write privileges to the Users/myname/library folder, and the applications and applications support folders within, and the adobe folders inside those, and the Indesign folders inside those; checked to be sure.  And the applications, applications support, cache folders in the system library. Preferences, too, both system and user. Could I be overlooking a critical folder? is there some other place ID might put stuff on closing? and more interestingly, does anybody else have this problem?

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are overlooking the obvious. CS5 was released quite some time ago. Even later versions such as CS6 are not supported under El Capitan.

You may well be fighting a losing battle. One thing you might try is creating a new user account on your Mac and seeing if it will run there.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                        saminhawaii Level 1

yes, I know it's not supported, and it will ultimately be a losing battle as a result of marketing decisions at Adobe, but I'd like to eke out another OS change with it before finding a replacement. This specific problem - crash on quit - is not one I've heard of. It's not fatal, but annoying. I'd like to track it down if for no other reason than better understanding how ID and OS interact.

I also tried creating another admin account; same problem, so it's not unique to my <username>. Photoshop and Illustrator work fine, which says the specific issue, whatever it is, is unique to ID. Where does ID do something, or save something, that the others do not? Anybody? It's probably not preferences, since all three have them and presumably stash them in the same place and fashion. So, what's unique to ID?

I may try disabling SIP temporarily to see if it's prohibiting ID from doing something. Risky, and probably not dispositive anyway.

By the way, I got a spam message purporting to be from Adobe customer service inviting me to provide some more information so they could help me. I'm pretty sure Adobe customer service 

a. Hasn't followed this thread, 

b. Spells their messages correctly, and

c.  Limits the use of exclamation points to at most two or three per message.

entertaining, if nothing else.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit

If you go to first page of the forum and look at the announcements you'll see a warning about fraudulent support.

Sorry I can't help further, but if you're not willing to move back to an earlier, supported O/S, or moving to Creative Cloud you should start looking for replacements now. There's no telling with an Apple dot release to 10.11 will kill legacy applications such as CS5 altogether.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                            saminhawaii Level 1

I discovered I was having the same problem with Illustrator; didn't know it because frankly, I hate Illustrator. Anyway, I found this;

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4661721

It seems to have fixed the crash on quit for both apps. I'm not sure exactly why or what I'm missing; anybody know exactly what goes on inside the CS5ServiceManager folder? So far, all functions seem to work.

??

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit
                              maisuna

I am having the same issues with illustrator, indesign, photoshop and dreamweaver cs5 on el capitan OS X 10.11.2. I get an error message the app quit unexpectedly everytime i quit. Have you found a solution? I called Apple support and they informed me there are patches put out by Adobe to fix these issues, I haven't been able to find them.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS5 in El Capitan; crash on quit

They lied.

There’s nothing out there to make CS5 compatible with El Capitan. I’m afraid you’re on your own.