8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?

The Old Fart Level 1

I imported a file today that had both jpegs as well as videos.  The jpegs imported OK but the video didn't because it says that I've got the correct necessary codec installed.  I have been editing various video files for a great many years & have most of the important codex's already installed.  I don't have Premiere installed but its hard to imagine that there isn't some way around this obstacle other than having to install an unwanted program.  How is it done?  I'm using PSE 11.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements does install some codecs, but many codecs also install when you install Quicktime Player (free) from Apple, which every video editor should have.

Meantime, it might help if you could identify this mystery codec. Open a sample of your video in G Spot or Media Info and post the name of the video and audio codecs it displays. For good measure, note the resolution and frame rate too.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with this video if you don't have a video editor. But if your only concern is to display the video in the Organizer, that's likely possible -- but we'll have to know the codec first.

• 2. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

TOF

The Elements Organizer for the different versions each has its own issues when it comes to:

what will import into it

how its thumbnail will display

how it will play back of it from its thumbnail in the Elements Organizer player

It is difficult to use the missing codec concept to explain this. If you have several Elements Organizers representing different versions on the same computer, one will play back a file imported into it while another will not play back the same file.

But, to get into this type of issue, as suggested, properties information for the file involved is critical.

You say that you do not have "Premiere" installed. The Elements Organizer is not a standalone. It comes with either Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements - which one in your case - what version? Also, what players do you have installed. Besides QuickTime, it might be a good idea to install Premiere Elements. One ploy to get a file into the Elements Organizer is to import it into Premiere Elements first. When that is done a copy of the file is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer.

Reminder - Photoshop Elements X and Premiere Elements X are standalone products, each coming with an Elements Organizer X. When both  Photoshop Elements X and Premiere Elements X are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer X.

Please consider and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
              The Old Fart Level 1

I have PST 11 installed, both the Organizers  and the Editor.   I have needed Premiere because I have been using Sony Vegas PRO for many years.

I have come back from a holiday with both video & stills, sometimes from several different cameras. Before holiday I make certain that time & date is exactly the same on all devices.

I can then put all files into same folder.  I know that if I look at a video thumbnail for any particular place any JPEGs also taken at same place will be next to it.  I like to give each picture or video a file name for the place they were taken.  The fact that both are together next to one another makes it easy to a range of thumbnails, both for stills & video & give them a the same name. It's also a good time to whittly away & delete either types you can ever imagine ever using on your DVD of Blu-Ray.  Once this is all done I can select just videos & move them to a separate drive.

Nearly all videos are M2TS 1920x1080 but occasionally I might be given another format which I can  easily convert if I had to.  As for reading codecs I have found that "Mediainfo" was good as long as you remember to remove the PUK that it now tries to install.

I'll check to see if I have QuickTime installed.

• 4. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
                The Old Fart Level 1

I checked in the Organizer & it says that a random clip has the MTS extension.  At the right hand side of page I click on location where I can see a thumbnail displayed

In this location it says that the file MTS.  Since I'm already looking at a displayed thumbnail I right click on it & Mediainfo says its a AVC file.  I would almost 2000 of these files all with Thumbnail displayed in Windows Explorer.  I can't see why these are not since I have been using these type of files for years.

As for QuickTime I tried downloading it but it won't install.

• 5. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How can Quicktime not install?

It's still your best source for video codecs.

• 6. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TOF

Thanks for the replies with addition information. The following is a serious matter since Premiere Elements carries the QuickTime 7 requirement in its System Requirements and is needed for many functions.

As for QuickTime I tried downloading it but it won't install.

Let us explore some reasons...

a. What is your computer operating system? If it is Windows 10 64 bit, QuickTime 7.7.8 (latest version will not install - Apple has a problem with QuickTime 7.7.8 and Windows 10). So, in that case, you download and install QuickTime 7.7.6. That version will meet the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 requirement even though it is not actually the latest version. QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

b. Are you running the programs as administrator (from a user account with administrative privileges)?

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video? If you post that information, I will try to find a sample online to test first hand in my Elements Organizer to confirm your finding.

ATR

• 7. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
                      The Old Fart Level 1

I has able to install QuickTime 7.7.6 but I still can't see the thumbnails.

If I go to Organized & see the place where a video thumbnails should be displayed I get the message that I don't have the correct codec installed. But if I then do what I said earlier in this thread click location it opens up Windows Explorer where it does display the thumbnail & if I click it, it plays. Could the problem be that Quicktimeis yet another application that tries to hijack your file associations?

It's a Sony camcorder HRD-XR550

I went back to Explorer & went to other movie files of different formats & they all display in Explorer but not in the Organizer.  I suspect that the problem is a Windows thing.  I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.  I have Version 10 here almost ready to go.  It's been downloaded but I haven't installed it yet.  I'm waiting to see if it has problems & I would also like to clear up my machine before I take the plunge.

• 8. Re: Getting Organizer past the Video thumbnail barrier?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

TOF

Thanks for the replies.

This is a way out suggestion which I have doubts about - but worth a try.

1. Open QuickTime Player on your computer. Hopefully you should get a message about file associations.

2. If you get the file association message, click Yes.

3. Open the Elements Organizer and look for any changes in the video thumbnail issue there.

ATR