16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 2:48 PM by D Fosse

Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1

jdawg101 Level 1

I have a strange issue with Lightroom 6 that I'm pretty stumped about. In the middle of editing photos in RAW format, Lightroom 6 crashed. When I started it up again, everything in Lightroom 6 (photos, menus, library gallery, develop module, etc) has this weird red tint/hue. To verify this wasn't a preset issue, I exported the RAW file to JPEG and the JPEG came out just fine. I took a screenshot showing the exported JPEG (left side) and RAW file (right side) side by side as a comparison on the *same* monitor (so it's not a monitor calibration issue) below. It appears the issue is within Lightroom because the exported JPEG looks normal, yet the Lightroom has this weird red ting/hue. I tried googling this issue, but couldn't find anyone that had the same issue as me. It's pretty frustrating because it's really messing up my ability to post-process photos. Has anyone come across this problem before?

The exported JPEG looks fine on the left, but Lightroom and the RAW image on the right has this weird red tint/hue that I can't remove. Again, this screenshot was taken with the jpeg on the left and the RAW on the *same* monitor:

lightroom bug red tint.jpg

The red tint isn't just on the image itself, it's on the all over the program including the develop module on the right as you can see below:

lightroom bug red tint 2.jpg

• 1. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jdawg101,

Greetings.

• Try unchecking "use graphics processor" option under Preferences - Performance.
          • Restart LR and then check again.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
            dj_paige Level 9

You need to recalibrate your monitor, or follow these instructions: How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?

• 3. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
              jdawg101 Level 1

I did what you suggested, and it's still the same problem =/

• 4. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                jdawg101 Level 1

It's not a monitor calibration issue. The screenshot I'm showing is 2 photos being displayed together on the same monitor. I made another screenshot that should be more clear. The top is the exported jpeg, looks fine. The bottom is Lightroom 6.

lightroom bug red tint 3.jpg

Red tint is not just showing on the image, but also on the modules on the right hand side in Lightroom 6.1:

lightroom bug red tint 2.jpg

• 5. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                  dj_paige Level 9

It's not a monitor calibration issue. The screenshot I'm showing is 2 photos being displayed together on the same monitor.

Your statement is incorrect. This is the EXACT problem that is fixed by properly calibrating your monitor.

• 6. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                    jdawg101 Level 1

If the monitor isn't calibrated correctly, then why does the jpeg image

look fine?The jpeg should have the same issue red tint as the raw file.

• 7. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                      dj_paige Level 9

Some software uses monitor calibration, some software does not.

This is the EXACT problem that is fixed by properly calibrating your monitor.

• 8. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To expand on what DJ is saying, the monitor profile LR is trying to use is incompatible with LR so the colors are shown wrong.  The telltale sign is that the gray area in the histogram has a light tint while the user-interface is still neutral.  Wherever LR uses color-management there'll be a tint (photo, histogram) and wherever it doesn't (the UI) there isn't a tint.

The usual issue is that your monitor profile is set to one that comes from the monitor manufacturer and typically has the monitor name or model number as part of it.  Besides looking for tints in particular places in LR, the other way to check if this is the problem is to set your monitor profile to sRGB-xxxxxx as described, here:

How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?

• 9. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is confusing a lot of people.

Monitor calibration and monitor profile are actually two unrelated and separate things, but for convenience and expediency they're both rolled into one operation. And both are usually referred to simply as "calibrating" because you can't say "calibrating and profiling" all the time. But that's implicit.

A monitor profile doesn't correct or change anything, it's just a description of the monitor's behavior in its calibrated state. The profile is written after the calibration is finished, but only a few color managed applications will actually use it..

This monitor profile is used in a standard profile conversion performed by the application, so that the RGB values are actually altered to correct for the monitor's behavior. The reason it's done this way is because it's a much more accurate way to correct for the monitor than what you could achieve just by adjusting the monitor itself. It also allows for different document profiles, instead of locking everything to sRGB.

All that's needed is that the profile is an accurate description. If it isn't, if the profile is defective/corrupt/wrong, it displays incorrectly.

• 10. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                            jdawg101 Level 1

Thanks for the thorough explanation! dj_paige didn't fully explain what the difference was between monitor profile vs monitor calibration, and how LR was using the wrong monitor profile. I followed your instructions and it worked! It turned out LR was using the old monitor profile and not the updated one after I calibrated my monitor. I guess when LR 6.1 crashed, it reverted to the old default profile by default and not the new one.

I learned something new, thanks!

• 11. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                              jdawg101 Level 1

Wow, I didn't know that monitor profile and monitor calibration were 2 different things and how LR could be using the wrong monitor profile. dj_paige definitely didn't explain that when he said: "Your statement is incorrect. This is the EXACT problem that is fixed by properly calibrating your monitor." That definitely didn't help me much -_-

With the link, I found out the wrong monitor profile was used and selected the correct one. Everything works now, much appreciated!

• 12. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1
                                dj_paige Level 9

Calibrating your monitor would have indeed fixed your problem. As you have learned, other fixes are possible as well.

• 13. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1

For the record, your previous monitor profile could be ok for most purposes, but there is something about it that LR doesn’t understand and this causes the color cast in areas of the display that are color-managed, and more importantly, the sRGB isn’t the correct profile for your monitor, it is just not incompatible with LR.

To have the correct profile you should be creating a monitor profile after calibrating your monitor with a hardware-software solution like i1Display or Spyder or ColorMunki that will allow you to adjust the brightness and contrast and color temperature of your monitor then measure the measure how colors are display on your monitor after those adjustment and create a custom profile that is precise and correct for your particular monitor.

• 14. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1

Let me just stress one particular point which is the key to everything here:

The monitor profile needs to be an accurate description of the monitor's calibrated behavior.

That's what the profile is for, and that's all it needs to do. Then the profile conversion will result in an accurate representation of the file on-screen.

Several things can cause the profile to not be an accurate description: It can be corrupt, the parameters may be wrong (e.g. wrong white point), or the profile can actually describe a different monitor than the one in use. Or any settings in the monitor may have been changed after the profile was written. All of these invalidate the profile.

This is a bit harder to explain to Lightroom users than it is to Photoshop users, because Photoshop users are already familiar with standard profile conversions. This is the part of color management that most people understand. But exactly the same thing happens when a color managed application sends RGB data to the monitor, except it is done by the application on the fly, under the covers, without any user intervention.

The problem with the display part of this, is that the calibration gets in the way and confuses people. They can't tell them apart. So - calibration first (global, affecting everything), profiling next (used only by color managed applications).

The profile is much more detailed, with a much higher precision level and using many more parameters, than what the calibration alone can achieve. That's why a color managed display is always more accurate than a non-color managed one. But also susceptible to bad profiles.

• 15. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1

In this case, assigning an sRGB profile to the monitor is using a profile that isn’t for that monitor, so while it may not have a color-cast, anymore, it does not accurately represent the monitor being used.

• 16. Re: Red tint/hue in Lightroom 6.1

No, that's correct. But usually it's close enough to work for most non-critical uses. And at least be better than a defective/corrupt profile.